HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,066 of 11,866
Hi, all :)

I have finally managed to audition Aryas. I took so long because firstly they were sold out in other city before arriving to one I live in. And here another one was sold out. :D I managed to audition a test pair (not for sale one). In one sentence - I love them. :) I had an opportunity to compare them with Focal Clear, Sennhaiser HD660S, Fostex TH909 and Hifiman HE6SE. :)

Sennhaiser and Fostex - just no. Sennhaiser was harsh sounding to my ears. Fostex was very aggressively V-shaped. Focal Clear was kinda ok. Clear but slightly aggressive vocal, acceptable treble (I am not fan of high tones - those were what I consider acceptable) and too boomy bass. Definitely a good pair of headphones but not exactly what I was looking for.

So, let's move to Aryas. :) It was simply amazing and exactly what i wanted to hear. Clean, smooth vocals and instruments. Piano, sax, guitars were just amazing. At the same time all those were clearly separated from astonishing, addictive vocals. High tones were definitely present but not highlighted in any way. Definitely warmer sound than MrSpeakrs Ether Flow and waaaaay brighter than Audeze LCD2C that I tested two weeks ago. Very good for me, just sweet spot. Pleasant for ears, not harsh in any way. And finally bass. Exactly what I wanted. Emphasised subbass but without emphasis on higher areas of bass. There is a pleasant and clearly audible *ompf* but without hammers hitting hard my head with higher bass like it happened in Focal Clear and Audeze. Thanks to this sound is powerful and emotional but low tones do not interfere with vocal and do not make sound dull and veiled. Very good separation of all sounds. Just love it. As mentioned, I had an opportunity of AB comparison with HE6SE. HE6SE had slightly more present higher bass and a bit more audible treble. Not exactly what I like. Differences were subtle but in overall I found Arya's sound to be cleaner, smoother, more airy and entertaining. Both Hifiman cans were definitely more power-hungry than rest of headphones. Mentioned before dynamic headphones I was listening to with volume gauge at 9 o'clock from my Marantz HD-DAC1 at low gain. Aryas needed between 10 and 11 while HE6SE 12 to offer the same level of sound.

All in all, it was worth to wait for almost month to audition them. I liked both Hifiman cans but Aryas are just wow. Also local seller said that their kind of magical. Whoever auditions them, takes them home. So I need to wait 2 weeks in queue with my order. But that's no problem at all. This amazing sound is worth it. I was super hyped to be able to audition them and now I am even more hyped to have them a week or two.

Cheers!

Couldn't have described them better. The only thing I would add, is the great soundstage. Not as wide as HD800's, but very wide compared to most other headphones. And not only wide, but high. I have never heard other headphones that have such a tall soundstage. Very 3 dimensional.

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,067 of 11,866
Have you used Audeze LCD-2c for metal before? I'm curious how the HE6se compares directly for metal, as reading the 2c is great with the genre was a large appeal to picking up the 2c for me.

Yes. I don't like 2C in particular for Metal, unless I'm using EQ, LCD-2C is a bit too bassy, too warm, too thick, too lush for metal, which needs more snap, more impact, more speed usually.

I recommend He6SE much better for metal, when it comes to speed, resolution and overall musicality. Metal has special needs to sound good if you ask me, LCD-2C works well for metal once you use the Audeze EQ thingy within Roon for example, but without that, LCD-2C works okay, but not excellent for metal.

Jun 25, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #1,068 of 11,866
Hey guys just curious I have the HEX V2 and Massdrop edition XX which are by far the most money I ever paid on headphones and sound unlike anything I have ever heard in terms of quality so they are essentially the end game for me. I have seen headphones like Ayra and Susvara on the market and just assumed they were for the wealthy elite audiophiles who would pay several thousands more for just minor improvements, reading comments however that doesn't appear to be the case.

Can someone tell me if they can compare the difference between the HEX V2 and Arya, what I'm curious to know is if they feel the sound difference justifies the price difference. Like for example I know if the HE 400i cost the same as the HEX V2 and HEX V2 cost as much as the Arya it would still be hard to justify the price difference from the 400i to HEX V2 as the leap would have to be much more extreme to justify such a difference. Is that peoples consensus from comparing these two headphones(HEX V2 and ARYA)? That it is worth the price difference? Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,069 of 11,866
Hey guys just curious I have the HEX V2 and Massdrop edition XX which are by far the most money I ever paid on headphones and sound unlike anything I have ever heard in terms of quality so they are essentially the end game for me. I have seen headphones like Ayra and Susvara on the market and just assumed they were for the wealthy elite audiophiles who would pay several thousands more for just minor improvements, reading comments however that doesn't appear to be the case.

Can someone tell me if they can compare the difference between the HEX V2 and Arya, what I'm curious to know is if they feel the sound difference justifies the price difference. Like for example I know if the HE 400i cost the same as the HEX V2 and HEX V2 cost as much as the Arya it would still be hard to justify the price difference from the 400i to HEX V2 as the leap would have to be much more extreme to justify such a difference. Is that peoples consensus from comparing these two headphones(HEX V2 and ARYA)? That it is worth the price difference? Cheers

I have a friend who owns both, he had HEX V2 for a long while, and at an audiophile meetup, he listened to my Arya and ordered it the next day. Sadly, he didn't have HEX V2 with him so I am not sure, but I will ask him if I can get a listen to HEX V2 at the next audiophile meetup, since I already have Arya and know how it sounds

I remember that he said that Arya has more detail, better bass, more clear sound, and feels like a HEX V2 that is even better. He loved HEX V2 a lot already.

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #1,070 of 11,866
I owned the HEX for a year, unfortunately the right side stop working but the headphones were still under warranty, Hifiman offered me a free Ananda or upgrade to the Arya for $500, I got the Arya two weeks ago... I remember love the HEX! Also owned the Sennheiser HD800S but I prefer the HEX because the sound, I'm super bad explaining the sound on headphones but the clarity, definition and image on the Arya is notorious in comparison with the other two in my opinion, I don't miss the HEX (my favorite headphones for a year) and I already sold the HD800S, I feel lucky to just paid $500 extra for the upgrade. It's a end game for me and I had a lot of headphones in the past. If I have nothing I think I will pay $1599 for a pair of Arya :)

Also I found these two new videos on youtube about the Arya

Resolve Reviews
: (Comparison with LCD-4)

Joshua Valour: (Review)

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,071 of 11,866
I have a friend who owns both, he had HEX V2 for a long while, and at an audiophile meetup, he listened to my Arya and ordered it the next day. Sadly, he didn't have HEX V2 with him so I am not sure, but I will ask him if I can get a listen to HEX V2 at the next audiophile meetup, since I already have Arya and know how it sounds

I remember that he said that Arya has more detail, better bass, more clear sound, and feels like a HEX V2 that is even better. He loved HEX V2 a lot already.
Keep it up, I might just upgrade my HEX to the Arya.....although why I am not too sure. LOL!

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,072 of 11,866
I just receive the ARYA I love the warm soft yet detail sound and the form factor of the ear cups is perfect, the lightness of the unit is spectacular (AUDEZE please take note!)...BUT there a BIG BUT, that bar mechanism on top of my head is REDICULOUS, each time I catch a reflection of me wearing the ARYA I can't help laughing. So sadly and for that reason only I will return them even though they are close to the perfect headphone for me.

AYRE CODEX
AUDEZE LCD-X
AUDEZE LCD2-C
DROP SENN 58X

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #1,073 of 11,866
... BIG BUT, that bar mechanism on top of my head is REDICULOUS, each time I catch a reflection of me wearing the ARYA I can't help laughing. So sadly and for that reason only I will return them even though they are close to the perfect headphone for me.

AYRE CODEX
AUDEZE LCD-X
AUDEZE LCD2-C
DROP SENN 58X

Seriously!?!?
You will return what you said is almost perfect HPs because you look funny wearing them?

If you think you look funny wearing them you should see how funny you look to me making post like that...

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,074 of 11,866
Seriously!?!?
You will return what you said is almost perfect HPs because you look funny wearing them?

If you think you look funny wearing them you should see how funny you look to me making post like that...

To each his own brother and as I said there is a lot to love about this headphone but that medieval contraption on top of my head is a deal breaker for me.

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,076 of 11,866
"To each his own brother." - you are right but i would rather ger rid of mirrors from the house than headphones but i also do not look at my self listening to music in a first place

This is, by far, bar none, the most hysterical exchange I've ever seen on my forum...EVER. I am literally LOLing as I re-read it. Thank you both!

Jun 27, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,078 of 11,866
Seriously!?!?

Agreed, this is a terrible reason to return amazing headphones. I returned my fostex th900mk2 because it was uncomfortable to use for long periods due to the headband developing sore spots on my head. But i wouldn't return them for looking... too red? Lol

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,080 of 11,866
Audeze is a medieval torture device.
But...I would still wear them if they weren't uncomfortable.
Frankly, my old ZMF Atticus looked ridiculous on me more than any other headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back