HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,036 of 11,822
So, I returned from the store, where I compared their Arya and HE1000SE against my LCD-3. Here's my report... :)
Both Hifiman's clearly out-resolve the Audeze, and are more transparent, with the SE somehow even slightly cleaner than the Arya. The SE is also brighter, a little too bright for me, but still smooth/not harsh. Of course, both Hifiman's have taller soundstage than LCD-3, and have more detailed bass, with enough quantity and impact for me, but LCD has greater quantity and impact (which sometimes goes too far, imo). I decided to sell the LCD and HEX and buy the Arya. Super clean, transparent, deep and detailed base, balanced across the spectrum, and the soundstage from HEX I love. Just a great HP.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #1,037 of 11,822
So, I returned from the store, where I compared their Arya and HE1000SE against my LCD-3. Here's my report... :)
Both Hifiman's clearly out-resolve the Audeze, and are more transparent, with the SE somehow even slightly cleaner than the Arya. The SE is also brighter, a little too bright for me, but still smooth/not harsh. Of course, both Hifiman's have taller soundstage than LCD-3, and have more detailed bass, with enough quantity and impact for me, but LCD has greater quantity and impact (which sometimes goes too far, imo). I decided to sell the LCD and HEX and buy the Arya. Super clean, transparent, deep and detailed base, balanced across the spectrum, and the soundstage from HEX I love. Just a great HP.
Nice and welcome to the club. May I ask what equipment you were listening to?

Headphone amp?
DAC?
Analog source, if any?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,038 of 11,822
Nice and welcome to the club. May I ask what equipment you were listening to?
They set me up in a room with an Asgard fed by a Modi über (because I told them I used solid state at home and they are the Schiit importer in my country), connected to my Macbook. I used about 50-50 hi-res and Spotify, 50-50 classical and popular genres.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,039 of 11,822
What do you feel the Arya does better than the HEX?

Jun 13, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #1,040 of 11,822
What do you feel the Arya does better than the HEX?
The biggest difference was the resolution. Arya just made HEX sound dirty in comparison (which I didn't expect, as I never thought of HEX as grainy at all). This was true both on some expensive neutral-ish tube amp they had and their Magni. (The HEKSE is slightly cleaner than Arya, but the difference is much smaller than between Arya and HEX.) The 2nd most noticeable difference was the treble quantity. HEX is rolled off on top and Arya isn't (to my ears). That's more a tradeoff issue: the number of tracks that benefit from the added treble energy are larger than the number that are hurt by it (for my ears). I'm treble sensitive, so Arya is about the limit for me in terms of brightness. Other than that, they seemed about the same (I spent 45 min. comparing, and time flew). What's your take?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,041 of 11,822
I only heard the Arya briefly and I do remember that it is more resolving than the Ananda. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to hear it against the HEX. The one thing I do like about the HEX besides it’s fun sound signature, is that it is pretty different sounding than the SE. I am not sure the Arya would maintain that difference though. I do believe it sounded more laid back and had less high end than the SE. I would keep the HEX, but unfortunately the world is starting to pass it by, in that the resolution is just not quite as good as some other cans that are near it’s price range.....even used.

Now, what I can say for the SE is that it scales like a mother. I don’t think with my current gear, I have tapped into it’s full potential yet. for instance on my iFi Micro Black the HEX and SE do not sound too far apart but on my THX/RME, I can hear that difference a lot more clearly.

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,042 of 11,822
I am not sure the Arya would maintain that difference though.
No, Arya wouldn't maintain the difference. In terms of both sound signature and resolution, Arya is in between them (maybe slightly closer to HEX on signature, closer to SE on resolution). I would say no point getting Arya if you have SE.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #1,043 of 11,822
No, Arya wouldn't maintain the difference. In terms of both sound signature and resolution, Arya is in between them (maybe slightly closer to HEX on signature, closer to SE on resolution). I would say no point getting Arya if you have SE.

Dare I say no point in upgrading from the Arya unless you get the Susvara?

Jun 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,044 of 11,822
Dare I say no point in upgrading from the Arya unless you get the Susvara?
I would say if you already have Arya, the cost to upgrade to SE probably isn't worth it. Unless it just hits that magical spot of perfection for you. I was super impressed with the SE, but sadly just too bright for me (and luckily for my bank account...)

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #1,045 of 11,822
..... Precisely what I thought.

Crap, now the damn Susvara is on my radar.

Pretty soon I'll be unsubscribing to this thread and then subscribing to the Susv...

Oh God shoot me.

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #1,046 of 11,822
..... Precisely what I thought.

Crap, now the damn Susvara is on my radar.

Pretty soon I'll be unsubscribing to this thread and then subscribing to the Susv...

Oh God shoot me.
Not sure you want to do that. Not only do you have the cost of the headphones themselves, which admittedly can be well below $6K, but you will have the cost of a good... either speaker power amp or a costly headphone amp. While many headphones amps can power them up and somewhat drive them, it takes a hefty, quality amp to give them a full bodied sound. Otherwise they will sound thin and slightly bright.

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #1,047 of 11,822
Not sure you want to do that. Not only do you have the cost of the headphones themselves, which admittedly can be well below $6K, but you will have the cost of a good... either speaker power amp or a costly headphone amp. While many headphones amps can power them up and somewhat drive them, it takes a hefty, quality amp to give them a full bodied sound. Otherwise they will sound thin and slightly bright.

Is my Burson Conductor V2+ not enough power? I thought it was.

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #1,048 of 11,822
Is my Burson Conductor V2+ not enough power? I thought it was.
Can't say I remember anyone using that over there, but you may want to check with the owners in the thread.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #1,049 of 11,822
Hello,

Recently I am searching for a new pair of headphones. Is someone able to compare Hifiman Arya to Focal Clear, MrSpeakers Ether or AUdeze LCD2C? I am looking for warm sounding headphones with smooth vocals in the first plan, laid back high tones and slightly highlighted lower bass. Something like Audeze LCD-2 Classic in terms of vocals and treble. Can be a bit brighter sounding, as LCD2C are very veiled. And waaaaay to bassy. I would say Focal Clear is max that I can accept in terms of bass quantity and treble brightness. I loved vocals in Ethers but they were too bright in treble area and very thin in bass. So, perfect match for me would be mid range from Ethers, vailed high tones from Audeze and something between Focal Clear and Ether in terms of bass. Do you think Arya would be a good try? I am not able to audition them yet, but local audio store should have them soon.

Edit: one more question. Do Aryas have easily replaceable ear pads? I use headphones a lot and my pads will likely wear out after a year ot two. It would be cool to be able just order new pads and replace them at home.
First, yes they do have replaceable pads from hifiman themselfs and yes you can do them at home.

Second, the arya in my opinion sound better than the lcd2c. The arya have a smoother sound and cleaner bass. I found thr lcd2c bass a bit blurry, the arya also has a relaxed sound but not too relaxed. When detail and sharpness is required it sits up. I enjoyed them while listening to brass jazz, classical all the way up to pop\edm. Ive tried focals entire lineup (yes the stellia and utopia and even the lower listen line) and focal has i found a much sharper sound but it misses that fullness you get from a planar. Picture the focal clear like cheap grocery store bbq sauce. And the arya are a much thicker smoother restaurant sauce. Both are good for different things and enjoyed in their own way.

The only think i didnt like at all about the Arya was the cable. But thats just me. Whwn i order my pair of Hifiman Arya, im going to get a different cable and put the oem one in my audio drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back