HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #736 of 11,821
What’s wrong with the bass quality? I found the HEX V2 bass to be very tight and controlled. It didn’t have Audeze impact, but no Hifiman can has that. But I can’t find any fault with it in terms of quality. The only thing the HEX V2 needed to be a near perfect headphone, was greater detail retrieval, in my opinion. The Arya is definitely brighter. Depending on your preference, that can be a blessing or a curse.
I prefer a darker sound however I find the HEXV2 pretty dark. LCD2C has much more treble energy to my ears and Audeze is famously treble laid back. I could only take 10% more treble than HEXV2, however treble on HEXV2 is fine for me.
Bass quality is fine too. It is very good indeed. What I miss a little bit is the Audeze impact you mention.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #737 of 11,821
I like the analogy, but it screams placebo to me. The Arya and HE1000v2 share the same membrane and magnet structure. They won't be driven differently. The only change is that the Arya is housed in the Edition X v2's body. Same pads and angle as the he1000v2, just a potentially different cup material. I'm having a hard time believing that both headphones cater to vastly different sonic preferences.

The HE1000 V2 and HEX V2 are different headphones.

HEX V2 is short for Edition X V2.

You’re getting your models confused.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #738 of 11,821
The HE1000 V2 and HEX V2 are different headphones.

HEX V2 is short for Edition X V2.

You’re getting your models confused.
Uh, oh new Avatar........:ksc75smile:

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #739 of 11,821
I like the analogy, but it screams placebo to me. The Arya and HE1000v2 share the same membrane and magnet structure. They won't be driven differently. The only change is that the Arya is housed in the Edition X v2's body. Same pads and angle as the he1000v2, just a potentially different cup material. I'm having a hard time believing that both headphones cater to vastly different sonic preferences.

True the Arya shares the same body as the HEX V2, but sonically, according to the Hifiman rep, the Arya is supposed to be more like the HEK V1.

The Arya, its driver shares very much with the HE1000v1, its headband and cups are the same as the Edition X v2. The cups contribute a sonic difference, not a vast change but they do alter things. The driver itself is very close to the old 1000v1 but as time and tech progress they are not as hard to make as they once were and at a significantly reduced retail price there is a slight increase in the tolerance limits, so head to head to head with an HE1000v1 its not quite exactly as good but it gets sonically close, as listeners can attest to.

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #740 of 11,821
2328F140-6162-419F-893A-6413E3359575.gif
Uh, oh new Avatar........:ksc75smile:

The D8000 is coming on like a tidal wave.

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #741 of 11,821

The D8000 is coming on like a tidal wave.

Why don't you try the LCD4z? In my direct comparison between the Ether 2, the LCD4z, and the D8000, the lcd4z was better than the D8000 to my ears. :ksc75smile:
But it was only about 40 mins of a head-to-head comparison, so take it with lots of grains of salt.

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #742 of 11,821
Why don't you try the LCD4z? In my direct comparison between the Ether 2, the LCD4z, and the D8000, the lcd4z was better than the D8000 to my ears. :ksc75smile:
But it was only about 40 mins of a head-to-head comparison, so take it with lots of grains of salt.

I want to try the 4Z. That may be the only LCD I sell my X for.

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #743 of 11,821
I want to try the 4Z. That may be the only LCD I sell my X for.

Yes, I also want to try them at my home, though the X might have better FR than the 4z (referring from the Sonarworks measurements).
The lowest street price I've seen for a new 4z is still 2800ish, which, I think, is pretty expensive for such a heavy headphone which I won't be able to use more than 2-3 hours per day.

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #745 of 11,821

I’m quite happy with my D8000 and HEKse. I feel like all my bases are covered right now.

Mar 22, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #746 of 11,821
Anyone have any impressions on how the Arya pairs with the Mojo?

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #748 of 11,821
Lol. Yep. But to make this one a vit more specific:

Mojo versus Dragonfly Red?

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #749 of 11,821
Hi ls13coco,

I own the Sundara, Arya and HE6se. I think the answer to your question would depend on the kind of music you listen to (e.g. metal and hardrock vs classical or ambient) or on how you want it to sound (more relaxed or not).

My dealer once explained to me that Hifiman has been developing planar magnetic headphones along two different main lines, roughly said the round ones and the elongated ones. I think it makes sense, so that in the "round line" the logical upgrade for the Sundara would be the HE6se (and ultimately the Susvara) while in the other line the Arya would be an upgrade instead for the Edition X xx and the Ananda. Going from the Sundara to the Arya would then also mean changing lines.

Changing lines doesn't make the comparison so easy as the lines seem to aim at different genres. The round line would be rougher (esp. the HE6) and tend to be more optimized for genres like metal and hard-rock. The elongated line would be smoother and tend to be more optimized for classical music or softer genres. When you reach the current TOTL models like the Susvara and the HE1000se the differences between the lines are less perceptible.

Back to Sundara vs Arya.

Re. most sonic aspects, the Arya clearly beats the Sundara, e.g. in resolution, speed, cleanliness (of the background, what SNMR would measure), soundstage, imaging... I think everyone would agree with this.

And yet... the technical superiority isn't all, their character according to their differing lines comes into play.
For example if I listen to Amon Amarth (Viking melodic death metal, e.g. their latest album Jomsviking), the Sundara rocks better for me, gives me a strong temptation of turning the volume up (I have to fight to resist this temptation, as I try to listen at low levels to preserve my ears) and of banging my head (I don't headbang but I feel the temptation strongly). If I listen to the very same music with the Arya, I don't experience these strong feelings, the music feels more controlled, "behaved" and less exciting with such genres.

So in my experience, if you like your Sundara for having fun (rocking) with metal and hardrock, the real upgrade for the Sundara is the HE6se, it is somehow "wild" and "harsh" in a positive sense (i.e. in the context of metal music), not as great as the Susvara but so much worthier for the price you have to pay for it.

If you listen mainly to classical or ambient music, then the Arya is a definite upgrade for the Sundara, as it will be better to "change lines".
If you want a more relaxed presentation of metal (e.g. to focus on your work while listening), then the Arya will be more suitable but would you then need to pay more money if you won't focus on the more detailed presentation?

I personally bought the Arya for listening to dark ambient, at which I find it excels, and to some bands which mix ambient with metal (e.g. Elffor) or mix metal with neoclassical, neofolk or rock.

In general I think that the Arya is a bargain compared to the HE1000xx, while the Sundara at € 350 is much more than a bargain, it is a real steal, i.e. the Arya is great for the price you pay for it but not incredibly great for the price like the Sundara.

Hoping this may help you,
bidn

Thank you very much, that is a much more thorough explanation than I had hoped for!

The way you put it applies to me too, as I do listen to a lot of metal.
The thing about that though, is that in the past 3-4 years of my getting into audio gear has opened up my listening to many genres I wouldn't usually go out of my way to play.
I find I mostly do not listen to metal with my headphones, instead going towards progressive rock, 90s alternative, female vocals and more.
In my car I usually have death metal playing, 95% of the time.

I bought the LCD-2C specifically for my metal listening, and find I listen to much more with them too. I appreciate mids and bass more than treble, soundstage and imaging are also very important to me as well as I tend to prefer a warmer, less in your face signature.

I will look more into the he6se before pulling any triggers as you have opened my eyes here a little here.

Cheers!

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #750 of 11,821
Hey guys! Just got back from an audio convention and i had the opportunity to sit at Hifimans booth for about an hour! hahahah
I got to try the Jade 2, Arya, Susvara, 1000v2, 1000se, ananda, sundara....
and let me say this right off the bat. the Jade 2 and Susvara were my absolute favourite headphones from Hifiman.
Something i couldnt quite get, when demoing the Arya, when i swapped cans on the spot with the 1000se and susvara the Arya was maybe 15% different ? i'll be honest I found the arya better than the 1000se. but! the Susvara sounded better and so did the Jade 2.

has anyone else had an opportunity to hot swap cans with the same amp/source/song and see if the Arya or 1000se had much difference ? i find that someone should buy the Arya over the 1000se just because its cheaper & almost same. maybe 90% same. and that 10% is barely noticeable at all, only on certain tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back