HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #616 of 11,862
Interesting reply from HiFiMan in the HE1000se thread. What do you guys think? I find it curious that they are differentiating the driver as most similar to the HE1000v1 as opposed to the HE1000v2. From my understanding the v2 made no changes to the actual drivers of the v1; only the headband, cups, pads, and cable were updated.

I swear that it has been confirmed that if you put the v2 pads on a HEKv1 the sound will be identical (or close to) a brand new v2. What pads are on the Arya then?? I was also under the impression that the drivers for v1 & v2 were the same?

Yes you did, and I think you were the only one that pointed out that the Arya sounded closer to a V1 than a V2, but I think most here, including myself, had the general assumption that the Arya was closer to a V2.

Thats strange though, has hifiman suddenly stopped using the v2 pads for the Arya? Was there a tuning change for these headphones? Maybe the Arya uses v2 pads with a different diaphragm tension (speculation)???

Either HiFiman has been lying about the changes in V2 compared to V1, or he has no idea what he is talking about.
+1

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #617 of 11,862
I agree that the 7200 has a small soundstage, but I don't mind it so much, it's such a nervous and dynamic can. This is why I'm considering the Clear or Elex now.

I have Clears, and feel that their sound stage is average at best for a $1500 headphone. The Sennheiser HD800 blows it out of the water, and all of the Audezes. My closed back Shure SRH1540's that I use for rock music at one third the price of the Clears, have as good or better sound stage.

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #618 of 11,862
I'm with you on this one. The he1000v2 has the same diaphragm/driver as the he1000v1. If they were changing the internals of the headphone they would have renamed it and they certainly wouldn't have run an upgrade program. The he1000v2 slims the cups to reduce bulk/weight, increases the number of adjustment slots on the headband, comes with a different cable, and swaps the pads. The hexv2 has the he1000v2 headband and pads, and the same sized cups as the he1000v1. Put the he1000v1/2 diaphragm/driver in an hexv2 and you get the Arya. Tonal differences should be relatively minor.
I agree. If there was a driver change, HFM would not offer the upgrade from v1 to v2. I can believe that different cup material will lead to a sonic difference but the rest sounds like they want to attract more SE purchase. Dun quote me for it, just pure speculation

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #619 of 11,862
Is the Arya headband and yoke metal like the hek or plastic?

Also I. Torn. Arya vs ether flow vs clear/clear professional. What do you guys think?. I'm really looking for the best headphone in that price range and looking for one that will last a long time. I don't have the money to constantly upgrade.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #621 of 11,862
Geez....there is so much speculation around here.

And (what appears to me) people stating as gospel something they read that someone has been speculating about something.

I have read a number of reviews/opinions based on people who have heard both the v2 and the v1 stating they sound different to then.

***!!! Hearsay, based on what someone wlse is guessing to be the case is inot facts.

As an example @Currawong (see his YouTube review of the v2 where he discusses differences) and @project86

The speculation of headfi does my head in sometimes

Anyway.....

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #622 of 11,862
Is the Arya headband and yoke metal like the hek or plastic?

Also I. Torn. Arya vs ether flow vs clear/clear professional. What do you guys think?. I'm really looking for the best headphone in that price range and looking for one that will last a long time. I don't have the money to constantly upgrade.

If you dont know where to start, start from the Clear. I saw a new Clear goes as low as 800. Also, it is the safe bet sonically.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #623 of 11,862
If you dont know where to start, start from the Clear. I saw a new Clear goes as low as 800. Also, it is the safe bet sonically.
If you enjoy mainstream music, it's worthwhile headphone to get. I prefer it more than HD6XX for mainstream music due to it's bass and higher energy upper treble registers. It sounds bright enough, but not too bright or harsh to my ears. 6XX will sound darker in comparison with Clear sounding more vivid in how sound is presented (which fits really well for pop and modern mainstream genre with electronic mix).

It's rare to find a headphone that presents mainstream music well.

Personally do not like their retail prices, and the price makes it a bit difficult to pull the trigger, and I'm sure the resale value goes down with Focals due to being priced significantly higher than it's performance worth IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #624 of 11,862

I started at the Clear. Now they're sold.
To me, the Arya is more enjoyable, easier to listen to, has a MUCH more seductive midrange, and is more comfortable to wear then the Clear.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #625 of 11,862
Oh by the way I'm coming from a mrspeakers alpha dog. So closed back t50rp modified planner that I've had for some 8 years or so. Now ready for upgrade to open back.

I wish I could fine a new focal clears for 800. Price seem to hang around 1299-1499 now.

Also zeos went nuts for the aeolus so I wonder about them as well in that grouping that I mentioned above which is in the >1000 < 2000 dollar range of open back headphones.

I prefer clear articulate sound that is fairly neutral...but also can go low. Not Th900 boosted. Neutral but not rolled off at like 30 hz.

Does anyone know the difference between clear and clear professional??

Thanks.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #629 of 11,862
If you enjoy mainstream music, it's worthwhile headphone to get. I prefer it more than HD6XX for mainstream music due to it's bass and higher energy upper treble registers. It sounds bright enough, but not too bright or harsh to my ears. 6XX will sound darker in comparison with Clear sounding more vivid in how sound is presented (which fits really well for pop and modern mainstream genre with electronic mix).

It's rare to find a headphone that presents mainstream music well.

Personally do not like their retail prices, and the price makes it a bit difficult to pull the trigger, and I'm sure the resale value goes down with Focals due to being priced significantly higher than it's performance worth IMO.

I also found the clear and utopia work very well with modern mainstream genre. They sound very hi-fi literally. And modern mainstream genere accounts for more than 90 percent of my listening.

And I think no headfier pays msrp for their headphone. Even new focal headphones are heavily discounted these days. Used one even more so, as I can see more than 50% discounts for used elear and utopia pretty often.
But I don't think that is because they sound bad, but because Focal headphones are overbought, due to a.k.a. brand power.

I don't know what is a fair discount for hifiman headphone these days. But I ended up paing a few hundreds more for a new HE1000se than my Utopia (now sold), even though the Utopia is more expensive in the msrp.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #630 of 11,862
I also found the clear and utopia work very well with modern mainstream genre. They sound very hi-fi literally. And modern mainstream genere accounts for more than 90 percent of my listening.

And I think no headfier pays msrp for their headphone. Even new focal headphones are heavily discounted these days. Used one even more so, as I can see more than 50% discounts for used elear and utopia pretty often.
But I don't think that is because they sound bad, but because Focal headphones are overbought, due to a.k.a. brand power.

I don't know what is a fair discount for hifiman headphone these days. But I ended up paing a few hundreds more for a new HE1000se than my Utopia (now sold), even though the Utopia is more expensive in the msrp.
I find Utopia is more of an audiophile headphone (although both are marketed for audiophiles), and the type of music. You notice Utopia sound have a quality difference for audiophile music and mainstream. Clear doesn't seem to have much of that distinction in the type of music, and usually audiophile music headphones do not output good sound with mainstream music (particularly in regards to treble). People just say it's mastered badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back