HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #451 of 11,865
For total clarity and transparency, hd800s is behind the utopia by a significant margin. But hd800s creates a large headstage by pushing the midrange further away from ears.
No not really lol. It’s not that simple. The HD800S is a masterpiece of transparency, imaging and soundstage and it’s not done by pushing the midrange further ajahahahah that’s so funny !
Take the Clear and EQ down the midrange and see if you get a wide soundstage.
Good luck.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #452 of 11,865
Its shouldn't be something that as simple as doing eq can do. The soundstage isn't about volume, as u push away the top range for bigger soundstage the midrange will some kind of follows.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #453 of 11,865
Just got mine Arya, build quality still is crappy.:expressionless: But I guess its nothing to complain for $1100.
微信图片_20190213174333.jpg

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #458 of 11,865
Yeah. Considering the deal you got, it makes sense.

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #460 of 11,865
Yeah considering the deal he got, it makes sense.
Normally it will piss me off even on a $100 dollar headphones, but its hifiman so... I am some how getting use to after all this.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #461 of 11,865
Hear are my initial impressions of the Arya and its comparison against the Focal Clear.

Build quality and feel

From what I've read about the Arya and other Hifiman products, I wasn't expecting much regarding build quality. However, it seems I am in the minority. While it's not at the same level as the Clear, it still was better than I anticipated. I expected it to be lighter and more "flimsy". I'm impressed.

Comfort

For me, the Arya is amazingly comfortable. Easily the most comfortable headphone I've had. Previous cans were Audeze 2 and 2 Fazor, (I know this isn't saying much. IMO, Audeze are ridiculously uncomfortable). Also had Hifiman 400i, Senn HD 800 and now Clear. Before the Arya, the HD 800 were the most comfortable for long listening sessions. The Arya beats them easily.
During my time with the Clear, I never thought they were uncomfortable. That said, every time I removed the Arya and put on the Clear, I said, "Oh.....that's not comfortable". When placing the Arya back on I said, "Ah....now THAT'S comfortable". The Arya made me rethink my idea of how I thought a headphone should feel and will be my benchmark for comfort going forward.

Sound

The Clear's strength is its punch. This is what initially turned me on to the Clear. It's definitely hard hitting, which I like (or thought I liked). It impresses in the quick demo but after a while and on certain sounds, the punch can be annoying. Think of keeping your ear right next to a snare drum. That's what it's like sometimes with the Clear......it hurts. Not so with the Arya. The Clear reminds me of when I sat in the dinner table right next to the stage at a jazz club in Philly. It was so "in my face" and aggressive, it wasn't enjoyable. That's what it feels like wearing the Clear. What I like about the Arya is it's less aggressive, like you're sitting in the center or a bit further back. The presentation is just less painful.

Between the two, yes the Arya is more laid back and the Clear is more aggressive. In the end, I just don't want that aggressiveness DIRECTLY NEXT TO MY EARDRUM. I don't know if the Arya is particularly a laid back headphone, but when compared to the Clear, it is, and I like that presentation A LOT better. To me, everything is more organic and lush with the planar magnetic Arya. It's MUCH easier to have long listening sessions.

Another strength of the Clear is its tonal balance but its achilles heel IMO is it's also kind of flat.....too flat. At times it's just boring and I'm wishing it was more fun. The Arya is a very fun headphone, IMO. I found myself enjoying music a lot more with the Arya.

I didn't want this post to be a technical description of the differences between the two headphones regarding bass, mids, treble etc. I will however, give the obligatory opinions on a few things:

I listen to a lot of classical and jazz. I also need my electronic stuff so for that I listen to Drum and Bass, Jungle and Dark Dub.

Bass on the Arya is deeper and has more "weight". I'm actually thrilled with the bass. The bass on the Clear sounds anemic in comparison.
Mids are SEDUCTIVE on the Arya. Very organic and natural sounding. There is more body to the music on the Arya as well. Mids on the Clear are less intriguing (putting it nicely).
Highs on the Arya are detailed but SLIGHTLY recessed at times. Highs on the Clear are the complete opposite.....complete 180.
Soundstage is much wider on the Arya. Not HD800 wide but who cares. It's sufficiently wide and believable. Soundstage on the Clear is very small.

Overall, the Clear is very analytical and at times can be boring. I never thought I'd say that about them but it is what it is. I just don't want that after I've invested all this time and money into this madness. There is nothing I regret about my Arya purchase. I'm thrilled.

Some albums to check out on Tidal, YouTube or whatever you do for music for some electronic bass to test your headphone:

Enei "Machines"
Kryptic Minds "Can't Sleep"

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #462 of 11,865
The entire Enei album is amazing, IMO. It's one of the things that made me fall in love with the Arya's bass.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #463 of 11,865
Hear are my initial impressions of the Arya and its comparison against the Focal Clear.

Build quality and feel

From what I've read about the Arya and other Hifiman products, I wasn't expecting much regarding build quality. However, it seems I am in the minority. While it's not at the same level as the Clear, it still was better than I anticipated. I expected it to be lighter and more "flimsy". I'm impressed.

Comfort

For me, the Arya is amazingly comfortable. Easily the most comfortable headphone I've had. Previous cans were Audeze 2 and 2 Fazor, (I know this isn't saying much. IMO, Audeze are ridiculously uncomfortable). Also had Hifiman 400i, Senn HD 800 and now Clear. Before the Arya, the HD 800 were the most comfortable for long listening sessions. The Arya beats them easily.
During my time with the Clear, I never thought they were uncomfortable. That said, every time I removed the Arya and put on the Clear, I said, "Oh.....that's not comfortable". When placing the Arya back on I said, "Ah....now THAT'S comfortable". The Arya made me rethink my idea of how I thought a headphone should feel and will be my benchmark for comfort going forward.

Sound

The Clear's strength is its punch. This is what initially turned me on to the Clear. It's definitely hard hitting, which I like (or thought I liked). It impresses in the quick demo but after a while and on certain sounds, the punch can be annoying. Think of keeping your ear right next to a snare drum. That's what it's like sometimes with the Clear......it hurts. Not so with the Arya. The Clear reminds me of when I sat in the dinner table right next to the stage at a jazz club in Philly. It was so "in my face" and aggressive, it wasn't enjoyable. That's what it feels like wearing the Clear. What I like about the Arya is it's less aggressive, like you're sitting in the center or a bit further back. The presentation is just less painful.

Between the two, yes the Arya is more laid back and the Clear is more aggressive. In the end, I just don't want that aggressiveness DIRECTLY NEXT TO MY EARDRUM. I don't know if the Arya is particularly a laid back headphone, but when compared to the Clear, it is, and I like that presentation A LOT better. To me, everything is more organic and lush with the planar magnetic Arya. It's MUCH easier to have long listening sessions.

Another strength of the Clear is its tonal balance but its achilles heel IMO is it's also kind of flat.....too flat. At times it's just boring and I'm wishing it was more fun. The Arya is a very fun headphone, IMO. I found myself enjoying music a lot more with the Arya.

I didn't want this post to be a technical description of the differences between the two headphones regarding bass, mids, treble etc. I will however, give the obligatory opinions on a few things:

I listen to a lot of classical and jazz. I also need my electronic stuff so for that I listen to Drum and Bass, Jungle and Dark Dub.

Bass on the Arya is deeper and has more "weight". I'm actually thrilled with the bass. The bass on the Clear sounds anemic in comparison.
Mids are SEDUCTIVE on the Arya. Very organic and natural sounding. There is more body to the music on the Arya as well. Mids on the Clear are less intriguing (putting it nicely).
Highs on the Arya are detailed but SLIGHTLY recessed at times. Highs on the Clear are the complete opposite.....complete 180.
Soundstage is much wider on the Arya. Not HD800 wide but who cares. It's sufficiently wide and believable. Soundstage on the Clear is very small.

Overall, the Clear is very analytical and at times can be boring. I never thought I'd say that about them but it is what it is. I just don't want that after I've invested all this time and money into this madness. There is nothing I regret about my Arya purchase. I'm thrilled.

Some albums to check out on Tidal, YouTube or whatever you do for music for some electronic bass to test your headphone:

Enei "Machines"
I confirm this impression. Also my experience with Clear and Arya; although would still not call Clear boring but punchy.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #464 of 11,865

Build quality and feel

Comfort

Sound

Enei "Machines"
I definitely agree! The bass texture of Arya and HeKv2 are the best I have heard

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #465 of 11,865

Build quality and feel

Comfort

Sound

Enei "Machines"
Nice work! I too listen to electronic quit bit, only thing I want is a touch more bass to give a bit more punch at the low end. Otherwise its damn near perfect, I don't think I need any other headphones. its the end game for me. So anyone interested in he560?LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back