HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #437 of 11,867
Does the Arya have the same exaggerated sibilance that the Anandas have? Where when someone is speaking with harsh S sounds, it pierces the ears a bit?

It has less of that than Ananda. The Ananda had it on everything I played through it. The Arya only has it if the music is already recorded bright. But I’d say they both lean slightly bright, as most Hifiman do. For sure, the HEX V2 is smoother with no harshness at all (unless the recording just absolutely sucks).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #438 of 11,867
Just to be clear it’s NOT at all my experience.
It must depend on the amp because the Arya is certainly the smoothest open back i’ve yet heard. And I’ve heard many.
I use the NAD M51 and Liquid Prime and the sound is incredibly smooth without a hint of sibilance, and I’m sensitive to it.
The HD800S is A LOT more sibilant than the Arya, and I’ve AB’d them.

My very first impressions of the Arya were actually negative because of over-smoothing.
Now I of course revised my appreciation after longer listening.
I’m still curious about comparative impressions of others.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #439 of 11,867
Although if I may add, I don’t find the HD800S sibilant neither; it’s honest as hell though.
For total clarity and transparency the HD800S is king; for musicality, the Arya wins.

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #440 of 11,867
Although if I may add, I don’t find the HD800S sibilant neither; it’s honest as hell though.
For total clarity and transparency the HD800S is king; for musicality, the Arya wins.

For total clarity and transparency, hd800s is behind the utopia by a significant margin. But hd800s creates a large headstage by pushing the midrange further away from ears.

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #441 of 11,867
I have the HE400i, and the sibilence was so bad I couldn't stand listening to them and eventually stopped using them altogether. The Ananda are significantly better, and the same songs that bothered me on the 400is were fine. Listening to people speaking in videos is when it started bothering me on harsh S's. The best way to describe the sound is like nails on a chalk board to my ears. Getting rid of that would make them perfect, so I'm wondering how much better the Aryas are. Has anyone noticed an issue when listening to videoSss?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #442 of 11,867
Well I'm roughly three hours in on a brand new pair and sibilance is the last word I would use to describe them.

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #444 of 11,867
Well I'm roughly three hours in on a brand new pair and sibilance is the last word I would use to describe them.
I am eagerly awaiting this. For me it's these or me making a run on the Utopia. I like my Elex, but I would like more clarity.

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #445 of 11,867
I'd hate to use this word but it is what it is. The Clears are extremely clear. The clarity is astonishing on them in my opinion. So if that's what you're looking for then the Utopia may be your ticket A lot of people say that Utopia slightly brighter. Which in my opinion is not a good thing because the Clears are kind of bright to me and I didn't realize just how much until I spent time with the Arya. For me, the Clears are too harsh on poor recordings or recordings with a high top end.

I still have more listening to do obviously but I have an idea of what my overall opinion will be regarding the contest between the two.

I will list strengths and weaknesses and give my opinion of the good, the bad and the ugly. I will post before the end of the week.

I will say this......the Arya is seductive as hell.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #447 of 11,867
I'd hate to use this word but it is what it is. The Clears are extremely clear. The clarity is astonishing on them in my opinion. So if that's what you're looking for then the Utopia may be your ticket A lot of people say that Utopia slightly brighter. Which in my opinion is not a good thing because the Clears are kind of bright to me and I didn't realize just how much until I spent time with the Arya. For me, the Clears are too harsh on poor recordings or recordings with a high top end.

I still have more listening to do obviously but I have an idea of what my overall opinion will be regarding the contest between the two.

I will list strengths and weaknesses and give my opinion of the good, the bad and the ugly. I will post before the end of the week.

I will say this......the Arya is seductive as hell.

Figured the Clear would be brighter. Your description sounds the same as one I would use for the Elex, with is also kind of bright. I am still thinking of getting a pair of Clear in here to compare against the Elex. I suspect the Elex is a little short on clarity and clearness(???) compared to the Clear. I would even prefer that the Clear is better, because I would stop right there with Focal and could get the Arya. Which I hope is not too laid back and warm as I already have an HP that does that well.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #448 of 11,867
Just to be clear it’s NOT at all my experience.
It must depend on the amp because the Arya is certainly the smoothest open back i’ve yet heard. And I’ve heard many.
I use the NAD M51 and Liquid Prime and the sound is incredibly smooth without a hint of sibilance, and I’m sensitive to it.
The HD800S is A LOT more sibilant than the Arya, and I’ve AB’d them.

My very first impressions of the Arya were actually negative because of over-smoothing.
Now I of course revised my appreciation after longer listening.
I’m still curious about comparative impressions of others.
+1 on this. I would not consider the Arya sibilant at all but perhaps it depends on everything else in the chain.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #449 of 11,867
I am eagerly awaiting this. For me it's these or me making a run on the Utopia. I like my Elex, but I would like more clarity.
Detail retrieval is significantly better on the Arya. The step up is noticeable but not mind blowing. However, every other aspect of Arya's sound is miles ahead of the Elex IMO. The comprehensive upgrade to the all the sonic characteristics makes the Arya a worthy step up from the Elex. But, if you're primarily after more detail, the Utopia MIGHT be a better upgrade for you. That said, I haven't heard the Utopia.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #450 of 11,867
Figured the Clear would be brighter. Your description sounds the same as one I would use for the Elex, with is also kind of bright. I am still thinking of getting a pair of Clear in here to compare against the Elex. I suspect the Elex is a little short on clarity and clearness(???) compared to the Clear. I would even prefer that the Clear is better, because I would stop right there with Focal and could get the Arya. Which I hope is not too laid back and warm as I already have an HP that does that well.
There's a hint of warmth but I wouldn't say they're laid back at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back