HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,261 of 11,867
Of the two, which one seems like a better build to you? Especially the yoke/arms.

Also, which seems lighter?

Can't compare old Arya to new Arya as I had to send it out for replacement, but I think Aryas feel lighter on head than anandas due to the slightly lighter clamping force of the Arya headband. I think you can't argue with solid metal of the Ananda headband, but the yokes on the Arya appear to be made of Aluminum or some lightweight metal, they ping if you flick them, so definitely not plastic.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #1,262 of 11,867
Got a replacement pair of Arya's because my first pair was defective (bad channel imbalance, rattle at low volumes in right cup not caused by a hair)

And they have updated the materials. The cups are more solid and don't creak, the headband adjustment is tighter, although my left looser than the right so they won't self-adjust as much, and biggest of all is the change to the mesh material on the outside of the cups, and the inside foam is denser that covers the driver. They seem less sharp than my original pair with the original materials, as well as seemingly a TINY bit harder to drive. Here is a side by side pic with my Ananda's with the old material.

https://i.imgur.com/Ljmucjx.jpg

Any differences beside the mesh to tell if you got v1 or v2?
I bought mine just a week ago, and judging by the mesh it looks like i got v1.
My headband around the swively yokes also creak when i twist it.

Also what do you mean by less sharp?

Could it be that they added the mesh to slightly dampen the treble?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #1,263 of 11,867
Any differences beside the mesh to tell if you got v1 or v2?
I bought mine just a week ago, and judging by the mesh it looks like i got v1.
My headband around the swively yokes also creak when i twist it.

Also what do you mean by less sharp?

Could it be that they added the mesh to slightly dampen the treble?

I mean exactly that, pretty much I think the treble is a bit less bright than on my old pair. I'm not sure if the soundstage is affected at all, but all my reference tracks sound about the same minus a bit of that higher end bite that Aryas can have.

Edit: Was looking under the pads because the inner material looked different as well, even though they use the same pads as the Ananda previously, and they changed the entire inner part of the housing.

The plastic around the baffle is now carbon fiber, and the mesh is now a permanent part of the driver housing instead of being part of the pad.

7Ab143N.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #1,264 of 11,867
I mean exactly that, pretty much I think the treble is a bit less bright than on my old pair. I'm not sure if the soundstage is affected at all, but all my reference tracks sound about the same minus a bit of that higher end bite that Aryas can have.

Edit: Was looking under the pads because the inner material looked different as well, even though they use the same pads as the Ananda previously, and they changed the entire inner part of the housing.

The plastic around the baffle is now carbon fiber, and the mesh is now a permanent part of the driver housing instead of being part of the pad.

7Ab143N.jpg

Wow thats really cool.

Did you notice any difference in vocals, like S sounds and such?

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,265 of 11,867
Ok so, I ultimately decided to return my pair after 2 weeks of testing.
I immensely enjoyed the arya and I really wanted to keep it.
I truly enjoy the hifiman planar sound.
But the splashy S sounds, even after EQing were such that i simply couldnt justify keeping them.

From what i've read, the susvara tames that sibilance even more, so now my sights are on trying to go demo them at a store along with some other headphones.

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,266 of 11,867
How does the pad look like now? Is it without mesh or do you have mesh from both new build and pad now?

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,267 of 11,867
Ok so, I ultimately decided to return my pair after 2 weeks of testing.
I immensely enjoyed the arya and I really wanted to keep it.
I truly enjoy the hifiman planar sound.
But the splashy S sounds, even after EQing were such that i simply couldnt justify keeping them.

From what i've read, the susvara tames that sibilance even more, so now my sights are on trying to go demo them at a store along with some other headphones.
Sorry to hear that ! What amp and dac were you using ?

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,268 of 11,867
Arya needs about 1200 mWatt of power to sound best. It is relatively easy check if your player meets it.
Do you think my RME ADI-2 DAC could power them well enough?

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #1,270 of 11,867
Yes i did watch his review, amongst like 5-6 others on youtube.
Interesting that you should mention that review, because i noticed exactly the same thing you pointed out in his video, and it really made me think twice about the purchase.
Amongst all the other reviews raving over the arya, his was the one sobering review that broke the flow of positive reviews.
Z also wasnt all that charmed by the arya, especially at its pricepoint.
I was quite conflicted, but decided to trust the majority.

One reviewer in particular tipped me over the edge.
Im a big fan of joshua valors reviews, since I like his way of explaining things.
He was raving a lot about the arya which is why i ultimately pulled the trigger.

Either way this is a good benchmark to go back and see which reviewer most closely aligns with my taste and hearing.
Im currently in the same camp, im deciding between the arya or the ananda or clear. and i do like josh valor reviews, i find Z is a bit too.. "funny/entertaining" and doesnt give serious or accurate reviews. so i may pull the trigger once im paid off a bit.

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #1,271 of 11,867
Oh yes! I use RME to power them and powers them very well with enough headroom!!
excellent news, are you on lo-power mode or high power mode?

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,273 of 11,867
High power mode. But it's already quite loud at -15 db but I tend to like a little louder at -12 to -11 db.
Holy Moly!!!!! with my DT1990 i never go past -25db

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #1,275 of 11,867
Im currently in the same camp, im deciding between the arya or the ananda or clear. and i do like josh valor reviews, i find Z is a bit too.. "funny/entertaining" and doesnt give serious or accurate reviews. so i may pull the trigger once im paid off a bit.
If you are into soundstage at all it's an easy choice, the Arya. It has an airy and spacious soundstage. The Clear on the other hand, as with all Focals, has an in your head, upfront, presentation of the sound. If you like that, then go for the Clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back