HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #3,527 of 11,863
Does anyone have any thoughts on using a tube preamp, like those really cheap ones on Amazon (FX Audio or something like that or maybe a Schiit Vali) and feed it into a solid state (Gustard H16)? I thought of doing that to start experimenting with tubes without really costing too much.
I have a similar set up with a cheap Amazon DX audio tube pre-amp feeding my 789 through RCA. It didn’t make too much of a difference with the tubes that came with, once I changed them to a pair of GE tubes, I was able to hear a bigger difference. I’m not going to lie, it was not a day and nigh outcome, but IMO is audible. Was it worth it? I’m going to have to say no, it left me wanting more. Also, I do not own the Arya’s, I do have the Amanda’s and Elex. The reason am I’m here is because I’m contemplating to upgrade to the Arya’s. Hope this helps.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #3,528 of 11,863
Agree. No disrespect to the people who own really expensive equipment, but when I see comparisons like that, I feel they just want to “show off”. Just my personal opinion.
Not showing off Bro... but REALLY trying to convey that the difference is BIG. I used that comparison because the 789 and the Sabaj were what I used before the Phonitor. If you can get more power for your Arya, do it. You won't be disappointed. I apologize if I came off as if showing off. Not sure why you used quotation marks for show off.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #3,529 of 11,863
Not showing off Bro... but REALLY trying to convey that the difference is BIG. I used that comparison because the 789 and the Sabaj were what I used before the Phonitor. If you can get more power for your Arya, do it. You won't be disappointed. I apologize if I came off as if showing off. Not sure why you used quotation marks for show off.
Here people exchange their experiences, and there are people who draw wrong conclusions from those experiences.
Arya sounds fantastic on my system, but they can and want better devices.
I love headphones with a big sound stage, and Arya with its huge drivers and great setup has the ability to display devices as they are.
Arya needs well-controlled power rather than a large amount of energy.
IMO, Headphones will give their maximum when they are the cheapest component in the system (good headphones).
People expect that by changing the headphones for more expensive headphones, they will get the magic of sound, while keeping the system, which is worth half the value of the headphones, I don't think so

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #3,530 of 11,863
People expect that by changing the headphones for more expensive headphones, they will get the magic of sound, while keeping the system, which is worth half the value of the headphones, I don't think so
I am of a different opinion, but I respect yours. For me, headphones have always been the first thing I looked at when trying to upgrade my listening experience. AMP for me served as "does it drive my headphones sufficiently enough" and for DAC it was "is it detailed and revealing enough". I used to own Aryas while I had Ether CX and Clear, both driven off Bifrost 2 DAC and Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 (the old one, not Massdrop) and I did like to listen to Micheal Jackson on Aryas, over all of my other headphones. Mainly for its soundstage, as you said yourself. For other qualities, Clear won me other, mainly for its dynamics. But needless to say, Aryas were fantastic headphones, until I got Diana V2, which I found a step up from all above mentioned, mainly due to their resolution (which is the most important aspect for me personally).

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #3,531 of 11,863
it only takes a couple of minutes after looking at the specs of the Phonitor amp to realized that is just not the power that separates them (789 and Sabaj) apart. But you already know that.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #3,532 of 11,863
May I ask what amp do you use to drive your Arya and if not too much trouble, could you please tell us what is your magic equation for headphone vs amp budget. Thanks

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #3,533 of 11,863
I am of a different opinion, but I respect yours. For me, headphones have always been the first thing I looked at when trying to upgrade my listening experience. AMP for me served as "does it drive my headphones sufficiently enough" and for DAC it was "is it detailed and revealing enough". I used to own Aryas while I had Ether CX and Clear, both driven off Bifrost 2 DAC and Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 (the old one, not Massdrop) and I did like to listen to Micheal Jackson on Aryas, over all of my other headphones. Mainly for its soundstage, as you said yourself. For other qualities, Clear won me other, mainly for its dynamics. But needless to say, Aryas were fantastic headphones, until I got Diana V2, which I found a step up from all above mentioned, mainly due to their resolution (which is the most important aspect for me personally).
i have to say, a few , IMO, respectable audiophiles reviewers feel the same way as you do, regarding how to allocate your audio equipment budget

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #3,534 of 11,863
Here people exchange their experiences, and there are people who draw wrong conclusions from those experiences.
Arya sounds fantastic on my system, but they can and want better devices.
I love headphones with a big sound stage, and Arya with its huge drivers and great setup has the ability to display devices as they are.
Arya needs well-controlled power rather than a large amount of energy.
IMO, Headphones will give their maximum when they are the cheapest component in the system (good headphones).
To me, it never made sense to pair $2,000 headphone with $200 amp

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #3,535 of 11,863
To me, it never made sense to pair $2,000 headphone with $200 amp
If your budget is 2200$ it makes sense imo.

Usually yields better results than coupling a 1200$ headphone with a 1000$ amp.

Or the other way round 200$ headphones on a 2000$ amp.

You will still gain a lot by upgrading the chain, but by far the most cost efficient way is to upgrade the headphones.
As always there are exveptions to the rule, but this is how I see it

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #3,536 of 11,863
If your budget is 2200$ it makes sense imo.

Usually yields better results than coupling a 1200$ headphone with a 1000$ amp.

Or the other way round 200$ headphones on a 2000$ amp.

You will still gain a lot by upgrading the chain, but by far the most cost efficient way is to upgrade the headphones.
As always there are exveptions to the rule, but this is how I see it
Not my experience. Always found a balanced approach more beneficial to the sound reproduction, where the amplifier is about half the price of the headphones. I am talking in general terms and am fully aware that price does not always reflect the quality of the product.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #3,537 of 11,863
Not my experience. Always found a balanced approach more beneficial to the sound reproduction, where the amplifier is about half the price of the headphones. I am talking in general terms and am fully aware that price does not always reflect the quality of the product.
Based on your logic/math, we should be looking at an amp around the 700 US price range for the Arya. Which amps would you recommend?

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #3,538 of 11,863
In my testing I could not find any real differences in sound based on price. Especially if you are looking at transparent dac / amps. My heresy / modi combo sounded as good as the bifrost / Asgard 3 or jot 2. I ended up just using an rme for everything as the features are awesome. I would look for features / size. You really can’t go wrong.
An amp being a certain price doesn’t qualify it to be good.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #3,539 of 11,863
Based on your logic/math, we should be looking at an amp around the 700 US price range for the Arya. Which amps would you recommend?
For Arya which sells for $1,100-$1,300 new anything like Jot2, Singxer SA-1, Cayin HA-1A, Audio-GD Master 19, Gust H20 will make Arya proud.

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #3,540 of 11,863
For Arya which sells for $1,100-$1,300 new anything like Jot2, Singxer SA-1, Cayin HA-1A, Audio-GD Master 19, Gust H20 will make Arya proud.
I would love to make my wallet proud. I have not seen the Arya for less than 1,500 US. Please tell me where I can find them at that price. Also, I’m assuming the A90 could be a good choice too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back