HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #3,346 of 11,856
Arya has good bass. Not outstanding, but pretty decent with a powerful enough amplifier. Has the planar extension and reacts quite well for a few dB bass shelf if needed. There is no problem with quantity or extension and it is also pretty clear and layered. What Arya's bass performance lacks to some other alternatives is dynamic punch. It is a nice and clean, airy and soft bass but doesn't quite have the impact.
I went from Focal Clears to HiFiMan Aryas to Audeze LCD-3s to Shanling ME700s, and couldn't agree more. Aryas, are "soft touch" headphones. The HE-1000s have the same problem. It's hard to beat any Audeze for dynamics, especially if you listen to electronic music or music that has a lot of kick drums. I did notice that the textures I could hear with stringed instruments, with the first two (the mark of high end headphones to me), weren't there with the LCD-3s, the Aryas had that one beat in detail, and about the same as the Clears. Still, if you listen to certain genres, the Aryas have a lot to offer. I haven't heard a soundstage that large, with any of the others I've had.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #3,347 of 11,856
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'm on the quest now to experience a better sound than the one I get from Arya/Clear and HEKSE, D8000 Pro, Utopia and LCD-4 are strong candidates.

Susvara is out of my league for now but maybe one day...

I heard LCD-4s in 2018, and don't think they're worth $4000 (nor was the LCD-3 at $1945, though I had gotten them at a far lower price). It was clear that I was getting well into diminishing returns; you have to spend a lot more money to get better sound than with headphones that are under $2000.

The great, now retired Tyll Hertsens, says that D8000s have a sharp treble that's painful (look up his review of those, and especially the look on his face). They wouldn't let me listen to the Utopias at the place in Torrance, CA, but I have a feeling that Focals are all "technical" headphones: they offer a lot of detail, but the music is not always presented in an enjoyable manner. I would probably settle for the HE-1000 v2s (open box or used), and pass on Audeze altogether. They don't seem as imaginative as HiFiMan, they haven't changed in years. You might look at the Rosson Audio RAD-0, at $2600 (again, "strategically" priced because of what Mr. Rosson knows about Audeze).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #3,348 of 11,856
I had Clears, then Aryas, then LCD-3s.

I heard LCD-4s in 2018, and don't think they're worth $4000 (nor was the LCD-3 at $1945, though I had gotten them at a far lower price). It was clear that I was getting well into diminishing returns; you have to spend a lot more money to get better sound than with headphones that are under $2000.

The great, now retired Tyll Hertsens, says that D8000s have a sharp treble that's painful (look up his review of those, and especially the look on his face). They wouldn't let me listen to the Utopias at the place in Torrance, CA, but I have a feeling that Focals are all "technical" headphones: they offer a lot of detail, but the music is not always presented in an enjoyable manner. I would probably settle for the HE-1000 v2s (open box or used), and pass on Audeze altogether. They don't seem as imaginative as HiFiMan, they haven't changed in years. You might look at the Rosson Audio RAD-0, at $2600.
In addition to the sound, my favorite feature of the Aryas is their comfort. While I haven't tried the RAD-0s or the Utopias, I found the Aryas much more comfy for longer sessions than the LCD-3s. I like what HiFiMan has done in setting a bar for comfort.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #3,349 of 11,856
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'm on the quest now to experience a better sound than the one I get from Arya/Clear and HEKSE, D8000 Pro, Utopia and LCD-4 are strong candidates.

Susvara is out of my league for now but maybe one day...

I actually prefer the Clear over the Utopia and LCD-4 :p
Didn't like the Arya. Bass didn't extend well and didn't have much impact.
I'm getting a HEKSE soon and should be able to compare.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #3,350 of 11,856
It has been quite awhile since I have commented on Head-fi. Since that time I have gone from iems exclusively to full size headphones. I currently own the HD 660s, Elear, Elex, Clear, Dt 1990, Sundara, and Arya. My current favorite is the Arya. Phenomenal separation and air between instruments. Recently purchased the Phonitor X amp and it has put my THX 789 to shame. If anyone here has a Arya/Phonitor X combo, could you post your impressions of the sound with the dip switches 1 and 2 on the Phonitor in high gain. To my experience it is mind blowing. Listening balanced with a S.M.S.L su-8 dac.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #3,351 of 11,856
Its a real shame that there are no third party pads for the egg shaped hifiman cans. I always feel like my ears are touching the inner magnets on my arya's....i cant be the only one suffering from this, hifiman are lucky they sound so darn good. they really do need thicker pad options.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #3,352 of 11,856
Arya is always worth it because you get 2-in-1, default tuning is perfection for classical music, jazz, acoustic etc... And with the right EQ where the bass is a little bit pushed you get an amazing experience with electronic, rap, hip-hop, low frequency based music and let me tell you, Arya is a beast with bass.

^^^Exactly this.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #3,353 of 11,856
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #3,354 of 11,856
It has been quite awhile since I have commented on Head-fi. Since that time I have gone from iems exclusively to full size headphones. I currently own the HD 660s, Elear, Elex, Clear, Dt 1990, Sundara, and Arya. My current favorite is the Arya. Phenomenal separation and air between instruments. Recently purchased the Phonitor X amp and it has put my THX 789 to shame. If anyone here has a Arya/Phonitor X combo, could you post your impressions of the sound with the dip switches 1 and 2 on the Phonitor in high gain. To my experience it is mind blowing. Listening balanced with a S.M.S.L su-8 dac.
Is that a fair comparison? That amp has a MSRP thats ~10x the 789 and ~1K over the Arya. But I am curious about step up in amps about the change in the sound of the Arya. It would be helpful to understand the sound difference from the upgrade in the amps.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,355 of 11,856
s a real shame that there are no third party pads for the egg shaped hifiman cans. I always feel like my ears are touching the inner magnets on my arya's....i cant be the only one suffering from this, hifiman are lucky they sound so darn good. they really do need thicker pad options.
+1
I have both he-1000 v1 and edition x v2 and both are a bit thin (and I have quite small ears).

Anyone able to compare the Arya to my to cans? I find the ones I have to be very close in performance and not quite sure what to keep.. or if I should get the Arya in the mix?

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #3,358 of 11,856
I do like bass on Arya, but "bass beast" is... let's say slight hyperbolic exegeration :relaxed:
"bass beast" was exagerated haha, excitement took me off-guard. I don't want to misinform anyone, It's true that with EQ it has bass capabilities that you can't find with default tuning but far from "bass beast" ofc... I need to keep trying high-end HPs :darthsmile:

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #3,360 of 11,856
+1
I have both he-1000 v1 and edition x v2 and both are a bit thin (and I have quite small ears).

Anyone able to compare the Arya to my to cans? I find the ones I have to be very close in performance and not quite sure what to keep.. or if I should get the Arya in the mix?
If you already have the HEKv1, then you're good. You don't need the Arya. On my setup, and to my ears, the HEKv1 takes the best from both the Arya v1's and v2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back