HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,122 of 11,867
I deleted the comment. The sibilance has only occurred with one recording, which tells me it has more to do with this particular record than with the Ananda. But comparisons of Arya and Ananda treble still welcome. If anything, I hear Arya is harsher, more peaky,

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #3,123 of 11,867
I have yet to hit the point of diminishing returns with Hifiman. I loved the 400i for classical so much that I bought a 560 and loved the 560 so much that I got an Ananda. In each case, I felt it was definitely worth the upgrade. Now I’m thinking of moving from the Ananda to the Arya. But we’re talking a significant price increase, and I think I might finally hit the point of diminishing returns. I have two minor complaints about the Ananda. I want to emphasize minor because I‘m enjoying the heck out of them and don’t mean to put them down. They are worth every penny I paid for them. But a) I would like a little more depth to the stage and b) even though I’m truly impressed with the silky smooth treble, on a few recordings there is a hint of sibilance, particularly with French opera for some reason. I think the Arya would solve the first problem, but I’m not sure about the second since I hear the treble isn’t as smooth. Any thoughts?
have you tried some diffrent pads? perhaps with a screen built into mid part for treble and thicker for soundstage

Feb 14, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #3,125 of 11,867
Any pads you would recommend? The shape of these pads is so bizarre that I guess I just assumed there wouldn’t be many options.
Can't recommend any perhaps some cheap velours for the treble, got a pair it may have even lessened the SS not sure but it tamed the treble and brought up bass, if you can get them cheap might be worth a shot... I have 3 diffrent pads incoming for my DT1990/Sundara/6XX so I am kind of new to this...

come to think of it using less thick pads on my sundara actually opened up the soundstage it was huge I was surprised but it let the treble go crazy, maybe the same material but thinner and inbetween the can filter and the actual pad filter add some thin fabric or not foam but that black porous stuff

the problem with buying pads is unless you have a review you are playing with frequency response I think but as long as you have a fabric layer in the ear hold for the actual pad you can handle treble with some cheap padding I believe so actually just find something with that inner fabric and that is made to widen soundstage or try some that are near the same material but thinner and also I am probably repeating myself I just type 99% of the time and hit sent

hope I somehow helped

Feb 14, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #3,126 of 11,867
oh and for the record I opened up the soundstage on sundara when using thinner DT990 very soft velour pads but it made the treble go hurt mode but was wide as all hell

edit- from what I figured out, DT990 pads had no inner fabric so that affects treble, the bigger/thicker the pad and opening adds bass and reduces soundstage I think, the firmer it is adds mids

I could have mids and base reversed

but that is my limited experience

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #3,127 of 11,867
New arrival!

arya1.jpg

Open box came in today, looks pretty close to brand new. So far it's met my expectations. I wanted a headphone with great separation and it delivered. Something I didn't expect was that such level of imaging can be slightly disorienting on songs with complex layering. On one song I was forced to stop everything I was doing and just sit down, close my eyes and listen. I can see this being the headphone I'll go to when I just want that pure music experience.

arya2.jpg

arya3.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #3,128 of 11,867
New arrival!

Open box came in today, looks pretty close to brand new. So far it's met my expectations. I wanted a headphone with great separation and it delivered. Something I didn't expect was that such level of imaging can be slightly disorienting on songs with complex layering. On one song I was forced to stop everything I was doing and just sit down, close my eyes and listen. I can see this being the headphone I'll go to when I just want that pure music experience.

Nice pics. Still waiting for mine from headphones.com...was supposed to deliver last week but for whatever reason it never come and their tracking number is invalid. Still trying to reach them but so far no show. Have to just drool over yours for now.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,129 of 11,867
Nice pics. Still waiting for mine from headphones.com...was supposed to deliver last week but for whatever reason it never come and their tracking number is invalid. Still trying to reach them but so far no show. Have to just thrill over yours for now.
Oh no, headphones.com usually is pretty responsive. I hope it goes well. I kinda had the same issue with hifiman. I didn't get any tracking info or status updates from them for a week, I was close to canceling, then all of a sudden it was delivered this morning.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #3,132 of 11,867
I've been considering investing in a cable from Norne for my Aryas. Was just curious if you explored any other Norne cables before settling on one of their silver + copper hybrids. I'd always hear folks recommending copper since the Aryas are already bright.

I'm considering the copper Draug 3 or the beefier Drausk, but am very curious about a hybrid option.
The Draug 3 will be my next cable the Draug 3 SC was for my Stellia.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #3,134 of 11,867
Can't believe that "wire" can make such a big difference. :) What is that different between this two cables?
I do not want to have another thread derailed with the whole cable issue I was just stating my experience.
there is a big difference in the wire, the meze main wire is equivalent to or smaller than the split wires on the OEM Arya cable. I’m guessing 1/4 the total gauge of the Norne cable.
I was actually hoping there would be little to no difference as the Meze cable would be extremely mobile friendly and much cheaper.
The differences I noted were from a Btr5, much like everything else in this hobby / passion the cost / benefit ratio is subjective.
sound improvement wasn’t the only reason for the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back