HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,501 of 11,867
I stated that it MIGHT contain relevant information, which was certainly far more helpful than posting "My God..." as posted next after the inquiry. I thought it was helpful and while I did not have the time or inclination to read all of the posts, I thought it a good place for the OP to start.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,502 of 11,867
I stated that it MIGHT contain relevant information, which was certainly far more helpful than posting "My God..." as posted next after the inquiry. I thought it was helpful and while I did not have the time or inclination to read all of the posts, I thought it a good place for the OP to start.

I posted that because the Hugo and Hugo 2 have been discussed ad nauseam. Do a search, is all I meant.

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #1,503 of 11,867
Hi, I have a problem, maybe someone could help me understand. So I finally bought the Arya, and discovered that after 1h of listening, I feel pain in the right ear. Only the right one, the left is fine. I checked with a doctor, the ear is fine.

It's the first time I suffer this problem, and I don't suffer it with a pair of Sennheiser HD598. With them I can listen 4 hours straight without feeling problems on the right ear.

Arya are overall comfortable, and compared to the Sennheiser HD598, the pads are different (Arya uses leatherm HD598 uses velour I guess): could the earpads be the problem? Have you ever heard/experienced something similar?

Thanks

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,504 of 11,867
Hi, I have a problem, maybe someone could help me understand. So I finally bought the Arya, and discovered that after 1h of listening, I feel pain in the right ear. Only the right one, the left is fine. I checked with a doctor, the ear is fine.

It's the first time I suffer this problem, and I don't suffer it with a pair of Sennheiser HD598. With them I can listen 4 hours straight without feeling problems on the right ear.

Arya are overall comfortable, and compared to the Sennheiser HD598, the pads are different (Arya uses leatherm HD598 uses velour I guess): could the earpads be the problem? Have you ever heard/experienced something similar?

Thanks
You should look into what part of the ear you are having pain on, and what part of the headphone is touching that area.

Jan 18, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #1,505 of 11,867
You should look into what part of the ear you are having pain on, and what part of the headphone is touching that area.

It's inside the ear, nothing which is actually touching it. But I don't know, maybe the leather produces some kind of air compression or whatever, I'm probably just shooting in the air. The doctor was crystal clear, both ears are perfectly fine.
So I don't really know what to think :/

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,506 of 11,867

Thanks
I had similar problems when I had the Focal Elear. I switched to planars and did not have this problem anymore. Maybe listeners fatigue due to intense Ayra sessions?

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,507 of 11,867
Hmmmm. If you reverse the HPs (wear them backwards), does the problem still occur in the same ear? Maybe some sort of inaudible HF issue with 1 ear-cup driver causing fatigue? Yeah -- it's a shot in the dark, but I've seen stranger things. :wink:

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #1,508 of 11,867
I've had that problem with some planars in the past. I feel its because it's such a large amount of sound and body being forced into your ear. Especially happens when the highs have a large amount of body. That being said they're not for you sell to me for a G

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,509 of 11,867
Sensory Overload? :)

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,510 of 11,867
I had similar problems when I had the Focal Elear. I switched to planars and did not have this problem anymore. Maybe listeners fatigue due to intense Ayra sessions?

Sensory Overload? :)

Is there a potential solution, apart from selling them? :D

Hmmmm. If you reverse the HPs (wear them backwards), does the problem still occur in the same ear? Maybe some sort of inaudible HF issue with 1 ear-cup driver causing fatigue? Yeah -- it's a shot in the dark, but I've seen stranger things. :wink:

I will try, good hint

I've had that problem with some planars in the past. I feel its because it's such a large amount of sound and body being forced into your ear. Especially happens when the highs have a large amount of body. That being said they're not for you sell to me for a G

Just the idea to sell them after everything I have done before buying them... I would cry. My alternative was the Sennheiser HD800S, which, at very least when I tried them in the shop, they didn't hurt me after 1h of listening.
The weird thing is that even the Arya, when I tried in a shop, for more than 1h, didn't cause me any trouble. Or maybe I just didn't perceive it because I tried many other headphones.

Jan 19, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #1,511 of 11,867
Is there a potential solution, apart from selling them? :D

I will try, good hint

Just the idea to sell them after everything I have done before buying them... I would cry. My alternative was the Sennheiser HD800S, which, at very least when I tried them in the shop, they didn't hurt me after 1h of listening.
The weird thing is that even the Arya, when I tried in a shop, for more than 1h, didn't cause me any trouble. Or maybe I just didn't perceive it because I tried many other headphones.

From the sound of it the only thing i could think it could be is that its listener fatigue caused by a bunch of treble that you aren't used to with the rather warm 598, but then the 800s isnt warm at all so maybe not...... if you want, we would be happy to swap your pair for a new one to rule out anything in particular to that unit.

Just email us at customerservice@hifiman.com and mention Mark told you to email in to get your headphone swapped.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #1,512 of 11,867
From the sound of it the only thing i could think it could be is that its listener fatigue caused by a bunch of treble that you aren't used to with the rather warm 598, but then the 800s isnt warm at all so maybe not...... if you want, we would be happy to swap your pair for a new one to rule out anything in particular to that unit.

Just email us at customerservice@hifiman.com and mention Mark told you to email in to get your headphone swapped.

Thanks so much for this, it really means a lot for me. Let me do this before: I'll go to a shop where I can listen another pair of Arya, and I will bring also mine, so I can compare them. If I notice a real difference, I'll write you so we an get the headphone swapped. Thanks so much again!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,513 of 11,867

Thanks
Some reviewers mentioned they experience fatigue too for Arya (https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-arya-review-page-2). So you maybe not alone with that problem if that's your case.
For the most part I think they possess a frequency response many will find a pleasing variation on ‘mostly neutral.’ I do have one issue with them though: I couldn’t pin down exactly what it was, but listening to these headphones for extended periods of time, regardless of volume level, caused me higher than usual levels of fatigue. I typically listen quietly outside of reviews, but for reviews I will listen at all sorts of volume levels to see how a headphone responds. With the Arya’s I couldn’t stand to listen at high volumes for more than a few minutes, and at lower volumes I could do about an hour or two max before I had to take a break. Swapping amps helped alleviate this somewhat, though oddly, while I felt high-powered tube amps sounded especially excellent with the Arya, the amps that seemed to alleviate this fatiguing quality didn’t have anything in common I could really discern. Some were tube, some solid state, mixture of high and low powered and with many different impedances. The problem was much alleviated by playing files with high degrees of resolution, little compression and using a good DAC. Well-recorded classical music did quite well here, though the issue never completely went away for me.

This fatigue could have something to do with the transient response of the headphone or what has been dubbed the ‘Ortho Wall’ by some in the headphone community, a kind of 4khz ringing most planar magnetic drivers exhibit which has to do with the resonant qualities of the driver construction. Whatever the cause, I’ve found that I tend to be particularly sensitive to this quality in planar magnetic drivers. Some friends of mine who listened to the Arya’s who have not historically been sensitive to this Planar-Magnetic quality told me they felt the Arya was not fatiguing over extended listening sessions, so I’ll leave you to make of that what you will

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #1,514 of 11,867
I'm looking for cheaper headphones than the Arya but with similar FR and soundstage. I read that the Ananda or Sundara are brighter/dryer, what about Focal Elear or ZMF Blackwood? Other suggestions?

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,515 of 11,867
IMO Elears are completely different than Aryas. Arya offers much more laid back, relaxing sound with pleasant subbass extension. Exception from this description is kinda bright treble. Elears are much more boomy with more aggressive sound signature. By looking at frequency response charts and reviews I would consider DT1990Pro. Never tried them, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back