HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #3,466 of 11,822
What speaker tap do you use if I can ask. Something like this? https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm
Thank you!

I got my speaker taps to XLR cable made by Ted @ Headphone Lounge - outstanding quality and price was fair. I do NOT use a Robinette Box or recommend it as I tried the HFM version a few years ago and could hear a veil. No need for it in my opinion.

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3,467 of 11,822
:wink: tough question, I use Amirons only for video calls and PC video listening now as they are closed back and block family noise a bit. They are good HPs but nothing to compare to Arya+5k combo, maybe bass impact is little bit better, but has resonances in closed chassis.

I can compare sound of Ananda BT to Arya+5k as this was my last HP set for music, booth connected with LDAC 990k.

First I must state that I'm listening to music on a moderate SPL, on AnandaBT it was 60-70% max. and with Arya+5k is android volume set to 11(of 16) and 5k volume to -10dB (678mV). Sound from Arya+5k is more analog like with less harshness and better controlled bass and treble, overall it is smoother. That is main difference. Soundstage is more precious but in terms of space dimensions they are close together, maybe this is limited by provided amp power. Instument separation and localization is a tad better on 5k. I think Aryas are clearly limited by 5k here.
Thank you for the details, really powerful little one

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #3,468 of 11,822
I got my speaker taps to XLR cable made by Ted @ Headphone Lounge - outstanding quality and price was fair. I do NOT use a Robinette Box or recommend it as I tried the HFM version a few years ago and could hear a veil. No need for it in my opinion.
Thank you! Only to be sure, you directly connect HP to speaker output of speaker AMP without any impedance compensations?

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #3,469 of 11,822
Thank you! Only to be sure, you directly connect HP to speaker output of speaker AMP without any impedance compensations?
Correct. To be clear, I have a preamp that helps attenuate the volume level so I have plenty of play with the volume control.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #3,470 of 11,822
Correct. To be clear, I have a preamp that helps attenuate the volume level so I have plenty of play with the volume control.
My Onkyo has attenuation knob in preamp section too. :) It has common ground so no balanced out :frowning2: I'll make custom tap and try it. Thank you very much! :)

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #3,471 of 11,822
I would like to ask for some advice. I did a quick search on the forum and found different opinions on the matter at hand. I'm a happy owner of the Hifiman Ananda. I currently have a RME ADI 2DAC FS connected to a 789 via balanced cables. Unfortunately , e-earphones does not have the 781 but they do have the ADI 2. I was able to do an A and B comparison between the Ananda and the Arya using the ADI 2. I was expecting more out of the Arya, but IMHO, it seems that it did not deliver. Don't get me wrong, I could tell them appart, it just that I was expecting more. My question is, do the Aryas sound better with a more powerful amp (compared to the ADI 2) like the 789. Anyone here with a similar set up, perhaps the ADI 2 and the A90 (I'm thinking of upgrading)?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #3,472 of 11,822
I would like to ask for some advice. I did a quick search on the forum and found different opinions on the matter at hand. I'm a happy owner of the Hifiman Ananda. I currently have a RME ADI 2DAC FS connected to a 789 via balanced cables. Unfortunately , e-earphones does not have the 781 but they do have the ADI 2. I was able to do an A and B comparison between the Ananda and the Arya using the ADI 2. I was expecting more out of the Arya, but IMHO, it seems that it did not deliver. Don't get me wrong, I could tell them appart, it just that I was expecting more. My question is, do the Aryas sound better with a more powerful amp (compared to the ADI 2) like the 789. Anyone here with a similar set up, perhaps the ADI 2 and the A90 (I'm thinking of upgrading)?

Thanks in advance!
Potentially, the Arya needs some Juice.
However since the difference between Arya and Ananda wasn't big enough for you, it's quite possible that the improvement with a more powerful amp are also "not big enough" for your taste.

More important in my personal opinion are differences in the inherent sound character of the amps in question

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #3,473 of 11,822
However since the difference between Arya and Ananda wasn't big enough for you, it's quite possible that the improvement with a more powerful amp are also "not big enough" for your taste.

More important in my personal opinion are differences in the inherent sound character of the amps in question
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate you taking time of your day to reply back. I'm not trying to say the Arya is not a better headphone. It did sound better but I was expecting more. It was not completely quite at the store and they did have music playing. I don't doubt the Arya is a better headphone, I was just expecting more, but again it was not the best "testing" environment. I really like the Hifiman sound signature. I currently own the Elex and the Ananda and if I have to pick one, it will be the Ananda for its soundstage and detail retrieval capabilities. I was just wondering if the RME ADI 2 DAC has enough juice to properly power the Arya. When I tested them out with the ADI 2 at the store, it was on high gain and the volume was set to negative 10 db. It seems that the ADI 2 amp didn't have enough headroom for the Arya. I left the store wondering if it might need more juice or an amp that can provide more headroom to really shine. I will go back and ask the store to connect the ADI 2 to a solid state amp with similar specs to the 789 and do an A, B comparison again. Meanwhile, I was hoping someone here that owns an ADI 2 with an external amp could chip in.

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #3,474 of 11,822
I went from HE400S to Sundara to Ananda and finally to Arya. I experienced a very notable improvement with every upgrade.

How long have you had the Arya? Hifiman recommends 150 hours to fully break-in and achieve their full potential with some here saying they've notice a significant improvement after about 50 hours. Make sure you've given them sufficient time before passing final judgement.

I also agree with the need for sufficient power. The more the better for these.

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #3,475 of 11,822
I went from HE400S to Sundara to Ananda and finally to Arya. I experienced a very notable improvement with every upgrade.

How long have you had the Arya? Hifiman recommends 150 hours to fully break-in and achieve their full potential with some here saying they've notice a significant improvement after about 50 hours. Make sure you've given them sufficient time before passing final judgement.

I also agree with the need for sufficient power. The more the better for these.
I don't own the Arya (Yet??). I did a A nd B comparison with the Ananda at the store. I'm sure both already have more than 150 hrs of break-in.

I believe the reason the Arya didn't blow my sucks off, was due to the ADI 2 DAC not having enough PWR.

Did you keep the Ananda after upgrading to the Arya ?

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,476 of 11,822

I’d say it all boils down to the gear, I can easily say that I prefer the Arya’s on my thx amp over the adi 2...and I appreciate them even more off of my singxer sa-1 amp...makes me really wanna explore different amps...the Arya’s are very good at showing you what gear is doing what

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #3,477 of 11,822
I don't own the Arya (Yet??). I did a A nd B comparison with the Ananda at the store. I'm sure both already have more than 150 hrs of break-in.

I believe the reason the Arya didn't blow my sucks off, was due to the ADI 2 DAC not having enough PWR.

Did you keep the Ananda after upgrading to the Arya ?
No - I actually traded them in towards Arya. I reached out to Hifiman customer service via email and asked if they had a trade-in program and they did. I received a VERY GOOD trade-in value on mine.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #3,478 of 11,822
I’d say it all boils down to the gear, I can easily say that I prefer the Arya’s on my thx amp over the adi 2...and I appreciate them even more off of my singxer sa-1 amp...makes me really wanna explore different amps...the Arya’s are very good at showing you what gear is doing what
Thanks for your input. I was wondering you could answer a few questions.

I'm assuming you are using the ADI 2 as your DAC when using the THX and the SA-1 amps. Would you be able to provide more details regarding why you prefer either of those two amps over the ADI 2 when powering the Arya?

I know this is a little bit off-topic. I was thinking to upgrading to the Topping A90, when doing some research I bumped into the SA-1. How does the THX amp compares to the SA-1? Do you still own both, the THX and SA-1? If you do, are you planning on keeping both to selling one of them? If you already sold one, what made you chose one over the other?

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #3,480 of 11,822
Send them and e-mail and see what they can do for you.

I will say that I have not missed my Ananda one bit since getting Arya. 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back