HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #3,421 of 11,859
Fellow Arya owners, I asked this ques earlier in the thread but think it fell through the cracks, so sorry have to ask again if anyone can help.

Arya stock cable 3.5mm TRS. are there any issues to use 3.5mm TS (one ring on the plug instead of two) just like the Focal connectors. I have tried it, and it works but idk if theres any issues in doing so (like sonically or mechanically), Cos i have a 3.5mm TS connector balanced cable and I wish to use that on the Arya instead of having to buy a new one.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #3,422 of 11,859

Ear candy for Arya :L3000:

Oooooh that was good. Lots of interesting things happening in and outside my head during that track. Switching over to 1080p youtube seemed to improve sound quality (I'm not sure if it's still 128k at 1080p or if they bumped it up to 256).

My playlist for testing gear starts with this track. There are some interesting low frequency pulses happening at about a meter or so away from me on either side. The better the gear (or my mood?) the deeper and farther away they seem. It's really really good with the Arya. Lost of other frequencies floating around. Here is the youtube link.

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #3,423 of 11,859
IMO the Arya stomps the X. OTOH, agreed, the LCD-4 crushes the Arya. The HE-6se2 when it comes around again at $699 is better than the Arya.
I can't say I agree with 6se2 better than Arya. The remake of classic HE6 lacks imaging qualities of the original and Arya should have superior imaging qualities as well. With Hifimans, the higher end stuff improves in imaging and dyanmics. That is the biggest diffefent from Ananda and below to Arya and beyond. I understand classics have greater bass impact however.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #3,424 of 11,859
Fellow Arya owners, I asked this ques earlier in the thread but think it fell through the cracks, so sorry have to ask again if anyone can help.

Arya stock cable 3.5mm TRS. are there any issues to use 3.5mm TS (one ring on the plug instead of two) just like the Focal connectors. I have tried it, and it works but idk if theres any issues in doing so (like sonically or mechanically), Cos i have a 3.5mm TS connector balanced cable and I wish to use that on the Arya instead of having to buy a new one.
No problem whatsoever. I made my own cable using dual mono 3.5 TS connectors and I can use it with my Hifiman Arya and any Focal headphone (save for the Utopia) interchangeably.

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #3,425 of 11,859
I can't say I agree with 6se2 better than Arya. The remake of classic HE6 lacks imaging qualities of the original and Arya should have superior imaging qualities as well. With Hifimans, the higher end stuff improves in imaging and dyanmics. That is the biggest diffefent from Ananda and below to Arya and beyond. I understand classics have greater bass impact however.

According to several people I trust the v2 images/soundstages much better than my v1 which you heard. The Arya is only clearly better than the v1 in that one area. It's quite close in other ways. At the occasional $699 price it retails for - its a much better deal than a new Arya, A used HEK v2 is close to the Arya price and assuming its in good shape makes for another easy choice over the Arya,

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #3,426 of 11,859
According to several people I trust the v2 images/soundstages much better than my v1 which you heard. The Arya is only clearly better than the v1 in that one area. It's quite close in other ways. At the occasional $699 price it retails for - its a much better deal than a new Arya, A used HEK v2 is close to the Arya price and assuming its in good shape makes for another easy choice over the Arya,
These used prices and special, occasional deals need to be compared with Arya's used and special pricing if you want to talk about "better deals." I've seen used Aryas for $850 and new for less than $1100 on special.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #3,427 of 11,859
These used prices and special, occasional deals need to be compared with Arya's used and special pricing if you want to talk about "better deals." I've seen used Aryas for $850 and new for less than $1100 on special.
Haven't studied the Arya market for about 3 months, at that time there were 2 in the $900-950 range. It wasn't clear which version they might be. As a pure value proposition a new 6se at $699 is a better deal. On to the HEK v2 used vs Arya used there is about a $1k delta. Value wise you have to go with the used Arya. But used HEK v2 vs new Arya, the quality improvement to the v2 more than outweighs the price delta.

I haven't written about the Arya in some time. Well more dynamic than the Anada. It has a lot of detail on the leading edge - some of it on the brash side courtesy of some spikes in the treble. Thankfully it crushes the Ananda on back of the soundstage details and harmonics. Arya also has an excellent soundstage - doing away with the too tall and not wide enough HEX v2, having much more body than the Ananda. It's got more snap in the bass than the Ananda, but, it doesn't match the HE-6 6 screw. Properly EQ'd that brashness in the treble dissipates quite a bit, but occasionally raises its head.

If you are listening to pre Bare Trees Fleetwood Mac, that snap could be welcome. OTOH listening to any King Crimson past Lizard could sear your ears, and nerves as several cuts did for me.

At say $699 I'd buy one today to fill in my HFM collection, and I'd play it. Get some better pads, cables (copper OFC), nuggets

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #3,428 of 11,859
I got my Arya a few months ago and paid $1299 for an open box pair from HeadAmp and they were brand new as far as I could tell. I've purchased a few open box sets of headphones and they have all looked new to me.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #3,429 of 11,859
I got my Arya a few months ago and paid $1299 for an open box pair from HeadAmp and they were brand new as far as I could tell. I've purchased a few open box sets of headphones and they have all looked new to me.
Open Box = Typically randomly selected boxes opened by US Customs, so yes they are new

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #3,430 of 11,859
I’m considering buying the Arya. I currently have the HD800s, which I love for detail, soundstage, imaging. The one fault I have with the HD800s’s presentation is that it can ‘fall-apart’ when I play some rock songs - the best way I can describe it is that, the music loses cohesiveness. Maybe others can relate to this (or describe it better). Does the Arya work better for this genre of music or give similar results?
Cheers.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #3,431 of 11,859
I’m considering buying the Arya. I currently have the HD800s, which I love for detail, soundstage, imaging. The one fault I have with the HD800s’s presentation is that it can ‘fall-apart’ when I play some rock songs - the best way I can describe it is that, the music loses cohesiveness. Maybe others can relate to this (or describe it better). Does the Arya work better for this genre of music or give similar results?
Cheers.

You are on the right path. Although if I may suggest, please look at LCD-X too.

I think the problem with HD800 is the soundstage may be one of the biggest, but fall in imaging quality. The soundstage is not "coherent", there are some hollow parts inside that spacious hall.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,432 of 11,859
Cheers.
The Arya is better than the HD800S in this regard and it yields good results with rock but it is not my favorite for rock out of the headphones in my collection. For rock and Hifiman's, I would rather listen to the HE-500 and HE-6 than the Arya (I haven't listened to the any of the Susvara, HEKse, HEKv2, HEXv1, Sundara, HE-560, HE400, HE-4).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,433 of 11,859
Cheers.

Arya is best suited for very good recordings, typically Jazz and Classical. Electronica also plays very well on Arya. For Rock music, I find LCD-2F or LCD-XC much more engaging. Obviously, this is my subjective experience.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #3,434 of 11,859
Open Box = Typically randomly selected boxes opened by US Customs, so yes they are new

I had no idea that was what most open box sets were, as the old saying goes you learn something new every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back