Hifiman Ananda
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #4,171 of 4,981
Would this also need a DAC?

Looking to upgrade source chain next.

My goal is to awaken ANANDA 😅

Lambskin earpads are out for delivery. :)

But seriously I can't stress the importance of good EQ with this headphone. Sounds like totally different equipment. I have a new EQ profile if anyone's game.
Definitely, what’s your eq profile?

Nov 27, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #4,172 of 4,981
while we await the organ-donor

(Skin was an organ when I was in school, I think?)

Attachments

• 785A9B45-5AF7-4254-818E-9A6AB6DCD17D.png
    785A9B45-5AF7-4254-818E-9A6AB6DCD17D.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 77441264-D441-47FB-8CA2-2BD525FA1E7E.jpeg
    77441264-D441-47FB-8CA2-2BD525FA1E7E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #4,173 of 4,981
Would this also need a DAC?

Looking to upgrade source chain next.

My goal is to awaken ANANDA 😅

Lambskin earpads are out for delivery. :)

But seriously I can't stress the importance of good EQ with this headphone. Sounds like totally different equipment. I have a new EQ profile if anyone's game.

Also. Anyone know how to tighten the sliding adjusters on the side? My right side is loose 🥺
Yeah The Cavalli is only an amp, you would still need a DAC, it will make the Ananda sing 😎
Although am an old fart thinker when it comes to EQ but am waiting for the Schiit Lokius to test 😆😆

Dec 5, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #4,177 of 4,981
How are you liking the sheepskin pads? Definitely want to replace my stock pads. Leather definitely gives a better seal. Any change in tonality?
They don’t cause the skin around my ears irritation after twenty minutes and they don’t sweat so. Major improvement. No real change in tonality that I can tell, maybe a little fuller bass..

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #4,179 of 4,981
Upgraded to these from the HD600, which were my daily drivers for the last couple of years. I've only had them a couple of hours but I can say that the jump in overall quality is fairly stark. We all know that the HD600 have virtually perfect mids, and that still remains true. However, that is the only area where the HD600 is superior, and even in that regard, it's not by a lot at all.

Sub bass on these are orders of magnitude better (HD600, what sub bass!). Whilst they don't slam like a dynamic driver, the bass resolve and detail is the best I've ever heard in a headphone and they're extremely fast. Less mid bass than HD600, which leaves them a little more clinical sounding, but I actually prefer it.

Mids are more recessed than the HD600 and a little less natural, but again, the actual detail in the mids is top notch, and whilst timbre of the HD600 is unbeatable, these are not far behind.

Treble here is very very defined, detailed and well extended. You can actually taste and 'feel' hit hats and cymbals. I do sense a slight peak around the 6khz region, and this is one of the only areas of the headphone I would deem as clearly needing a little EQ. However, the highs are far from silibant or sharp, they are just slightly too hot.

Soundstage is night and day. Closing your eyes, it feels like being in a concert hall. So this is what wide soundstage sounds like huh...

Imaging and seperation is frankly insane. Laser like precision.

I will also mention that I have the Sundara, and whilst they're a very good headphone, they didn't quite dethrone my HD600. Low end was clearly better, as well as soundstage (somewhat) and imaging. But they didn't do quite enough to take the spot. I reached for EQ very quickly with the Sundara as I found them a little brittle and unresolving (audio is very subjective huh). Whilst I can hear that I can improve the Ananda with EQ, I don't feel in a huge rush to do so. Honestly, the FR of these headphones are very good indeed, and I would be quite content to leave them at stock tuning. But...I won't haha.

So, I have sacrificed a little midrange timbre (and I do mean a little) for vastly better low end, much more detailed treble, hugely better soundstage and very superior imaging.

I would very much consider these a direct upgrade from the HD600, and yes, quite superior to the Sundara.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #4,180 of 4,981
Upgraded to these from the HD600, which were my daily drivers for the last couple of years. I've only had them a couple of hours but I can say that the jump in overall quality is fairly stark. We all know that the HD600 have virtually perfect mids, and that still remains true. However, that is the only area where the HD600 is superior, and even in that regard, it's not by a lot at all.

Sub bass on these are orders of magnitude better (HD600, what sub bass!). Whilst they don't slam like a dynamic driver, the bass resolve and detail is the best I've ever heard in a headphone and they're extremely fast. Less mid bass than HD600, which leaves them a little more clinical sounding, but I actually prefer it.

Mids are more recessed than the HD600 and a little less natural, but again, the actual detail in the mids is top notch, and whilst timbre of the HD600 is unbeatable, these are not far behind.

Treble here is very very defined, detailed and well extended. You can actually taste and 'feel' hit hats and cymbals. I do sense a slight peak around the 6khz region, and this is one of the only areas of the headphone I would deem as clearly needing a little EQ. However, the highs are far from silibant or sharp, they are just slightly too hot.

Soundstage is night and day. Closing your eyes, it feels like being in a concert hall. So this is what wide soundstage sounds like huh...

Imaging and seperation is frankly insane. Laser like precision.

I will also mention that I have the Sundara, and whilst they're a very good headphone, they didn't quite dethrone my HD600. Low end was clearly better, as well as soundstage (somewhat) and imaging. But they didn't do quite enough to take the spot. I reached for EQ very quickly with the Sundara as I found them a little brittle and unresolving (audio is very subjective huh). Whilst I can hear that I can improve the Ananda with EQ, I don't feel in a huge rush to do so. Honestly, the FR of these headphones are very good indeed, and I would be quite content to leave them at stock tuning. But...I won't haha.

So, I have sacrificed a little midrange timbre (and I do mean a little) for vastly better low end, much more detailed treble, hugely better soundstage and very superior imaging.

I would very much consider these a direct upgrade from the HD600, and yes, quite superior to the Sundara.
These sound really big. Big sound coupled with sub bass extension is really impressive. Ananda is just not a headphone in my opinion. It's different. And the treble... it's so transparent and raw make you feel like you are listening the actual instrument. Feels like it's not recorded and reproduced by a driver. It's not processed like a speaker or dynamic headphone(haven't listen top dog dynamic headphones though).

It's not perfect though. It's not for everyone. I don't like Ananda when it comes to energetic music, rock metal etc... It doesn't engage me. It's kinda soulless and objective. Cold and little brittle. Technically capable but doesn't feel fast. It doesn't bombard your ears. It's like you are witnessing something grand. It doesn't move and rhyme with you like fast energetic headphones.

I love Massive Attack and Lorn music with Ananda.

This music is a good showcase for Ananda. I also like synergy between Ifi Zen Can and Ananda. Although lowest volume bit too loud with sensitive Ananda, Xbass feature works so well with it.

Ananda's presentation can also be confusing. As i said it's not like headphone. You need to think of it like there is a very tall building size speakers on your left and right. Then it starts to make sense. If you expect a headphone sound, Ananda can be overwhelming.

Hifiman have something unique with these. I wonder how is Audeze's presentation.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #4,181 of 4,981
Upon experementing with EQ with the Ananda, I've come to realise that they're just perfectly tuned to my ears at stock. I tried a 3db shelf at 70hz, a 3db increase at 1800hz, a 2db cut at 3khz and 2db cut at 7khz. Whilst the sound was probably objectivly more 'balanced', it just lost a little definition and detail retrival for me. Soundstage slightly collapsed too.

Whilst the low end boost gave a little more bass presence, it just didn't really improve things for me. My ears seem to find the stock low end perfect, and very defined.

Can safely say that this is the first headphone that I just can't 'improve' with EQ, at least to my ears. Even the HD600 I could improve with some tweaks around 3khz. Stock tuned Ananda's clearly harmonize with my ears perfectly, and I see no reason to upgrade from here. I've found my endgame.

Listening to 'Paranoid Android' now and it's a mindblowing experience.

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #4,182 of 4,981
These sound really big. Big sound coupled with sub bass extension is really impressive. Ananda is just not a headphone in my opinion. It's different. And the treble... it's so transparent and raw make you feel like you are listening the actual instrument. Feels like it's not recorded and reproduced by a driver. It's not processed like a speaker or dynamic headphone(haven't listen top dog dynamic headphones though).

It's not perfect though. It's not for everyone. I don't like Ananda when it comes to energetic music, rock metal etc... It doesn't engage me. It's kinda soulless and objective. Cold and little brittle. Technically capable but doesn't feel fast. It doesn't bombard your ears. It's like you are witnessing something grand. It doesn't move and rhyme with you like fast energetic headphones.

I love Massive Attack and Lorn music with Ananda.

This music is a good showcase for Ananda. I also like synergy between Ifi Zen Can and Ananda. Although lowest volume bit too loud with sensitive Ananda, Xbass feature works so well with it.

Ananda's presentation can also be confusing. As i said it's not like headphone. You need to think of it like there is a very tall building size speakers on your left and right. Then it starts to make sense. If you expect a headphone sound, Ananda can be overwhelming.

Hifiman have something unique with these. I wonder how is Audeze's presentation.

The biggest thing I get from these is a sense of 'air'. And that is something that I adore in a headphone. This can obviosuly be attributed to a very wide soundstage, stellar seperation, and a massive driver. The only time I can recall feeling air akin to this in a headphone is with the DT880 600ohm, albeit much less spacious and defined. Putting my HD600's on now feels like I've moved into a box in comparison.

It's strange, but when I moved to the Ananda, it didn't feel like a 'weird' presentation or anything, it just felt like the overall sound has so much more room, and was less muddled. Sort of felt like removing a blanket from the audio.

I've tried a wide range of genres with these, and don't find them lacking or unsuited to any if I'm honest. If I'm listening to Pop or RnB, they give me that insane detail in the drums and hi hats, and are particauly good with female vocals.. If I move to rap or hip-hop, suddenly I'm presented with great sub-bass.

Obviosuly being a very detailed and spacious can, you could probably say these are most suited to things like jazz, electro and maybe classical. 'A Kind Of Blue' gave me goosebumps with these, however, at the same time, I don't find them lacking for any genre. For my own preference, I am actually most often blown away with things like Pop and RnB with these. Anything that has those hard hitting drums, and hi hats. The amount of detail and clarity in these instruments is superb.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #4,183 of 4,981
The biggest thing I get from these is a sense of 'air'. And that is something that I adore in a headphone. This can obviosuly be attributed to a very wide soundstage, stellar seperation, and a massive driver. The only time I can recall feeling air akin to this in a headphone is with the DT880 600ohm, albeit much less spacious and defined. Putting my HD600's on now feels like I've moved into a box in comparison.

It's strange, but when I moved to the Ananda, it didn't feel like a 'weird' presentation or anything, it just felt like the overall sound has so much more room, and was less muddled. Sort of felt like removing a blanket from the audio.

I've tried a wide range of genres with these, and don't find them lacking or unsuited to any if I'm honest. If I'm listening to Pop or RnB, they give me that insane detail in the drums and hi hats, and are particauly good with female vocals.. If I move to rap or hip-hop, suddenly I'm presented with great sub-bass.

Obviosuly being a very detailed and spacious can, you could probably say these are most suited to things like jazz, electro and maybe classical. 'A Kind Of Blue' gave me goosebumps with these, however, at the same time, I don't find them lacking for any genre. For my own preference, I am actually most often blown away with things like Pop and RnB with these. Anything that has those hard hitting drums, and hi hats. The amount of detail and clarity in these instruments is superb.
Well said. The thing is i come from DT 770 250 ohm and DT 1990 so i view it with this perspective and i can understand yours. Beyer headphones extends well in both direction (bass, treble) and have a good soundstage. In fact DT 770 have bigger soundstage in my opinion. It doesn't sound open like Ananda but the vocals and instruments more distant and spread out to me. Ananda's soundstage tall and deep instead. You are also right about this ''I don't find them lacking for any genre.'' I think right way to put it is they are not best at all genres. Take DT 1990 for example. It was so good at energetic and congested music, rock, metal etc it changed my musical taste. I started to listen ac/dc like back in high school lol. Ananda sounds beautiful but it can't convey that high octane energy.

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4,185 of 4,981
My advice listen to a HE-6se v2 (open box $555) & Edition XS ($440 from China) before you buy. XS remains difficult to get in the US, but the 6se is enough - it crushes the Ananda (not soundstage, just everything else ) - as long as you have 4 wpc @ 64 ohms kicking around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back