Hifiman Ananda
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #4,081 of 4,977
Anyone know what the preferred break-in time is for the Ananda? They sounded wild and un-tamed out of the box. About a hour later it sounds 75-80% better. I'm just chilling now and listening to some podcasts on my TV letting some led zeppelin play through on the headphones at about 12-o'clock volume on my Lyr on low gain. Hope to see them improve after some resting and playing cycles.
On average 150 hours should do it

Oct 19, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #4,083 of 4,977
I think you have to pop the pads, remove a cover (not sure how the electronics look under) and then hold the screw on the outside while loosening the nut inside the cups.
Are you trying a different band?

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #4,084 of 4,977
Can someone who knows more than I do give me your 2 cents on this question? I am playing the track Blank Page by Christina Aguilera on my system using the Anandas. The reason I picked this track for this question is because this is really noticeable what I'm hearing. On the track there is a audible "decay" to the vocals that sounds like what you would hear in a concert hall with reverberation and echo from someone performing. Is this authentic to the recording or a characteristic of how the headphones reproduce the audio due to the planar technology? Thanks

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #4,085 of 4,977
Can someone who knows more than I do give me your 2 cents on this question? I am playing the track Blank Page by Christina Aguilera on my system using the Anandas. The reason I picked this track for this question is because this is really noticeable what I'm hearing. On the track there is a audible "decay" to the vocals that sounds like what you would hear in a concert hall with reverberation and echo from someone performing. Is this authentic to the recording or a characteristic of how the headphones reproduce the audio due to the planar technology? Thanks
In order to help we need to have the same setup you have including the decoder and amp as well as the exact recording. The whole chain affect the sound and not only the cans.
You can plug another can and check though.

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #4,086 of 4,977
In order to help we need to have the same setup you have including the decoder and amp as well as the exact recording. The whole chain affect the sound and not only the cans.
You can plug another can and check though.
Thanks. I think the Ananda headphones are so resolving that it’s just really super obvious this audio effect. It also happens on my Grado headphones it’s just not as transparent as my planars. On certain tracks I can notice this effect.

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #4,087 of 4,977
I think you have to pop the pads, remove a cover (not sure how the electronics look under) and then hold the screw on the outside while loosening the nut inside the cups.
Are you trying a different band?
Yes, I was thinking about replacing it with the style of headband my 560 originally came with. Don’t understand why HFM messed with what was such an easy system to replace the headband. But at least it can be done if you’re correct.

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #4,088 of 4,977
Pretty sure that's what it is, I am curious to see how that turns out since I really dislike the stock band.

Nov 2, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #4,090 of 4,977
Just sharing my Ananda disassembly. :beerchug:

New Ananda Closed block, dust screen, built-in plug.

1635904279841.png

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #4,091 of 4,977
I was very interested in your disassembly. I love the Anandas, which I bought a couple of weeks ago.
But I was noticing such uncomfort that didn't make any sense. I have a Sundara, which share the same headband, and I never had a problem with them.
Then I realized the leathery headband that rests on your head was shorter than the one on the Sundara, which put more force on the top of the head.
I measured both leather bands and the one in the Sundara (2018 model) was over 1 cm longer, despite it being a smaller headphone.
I may be wrong, but I tried the Anandas at a store and they didn't feel like mine at all. I just think it is a case of poor manufacturing control.
They're going back, whatever the reason for the problem. I just can't stand them. Maybe if I had a smaller head I wouldn't notice the difference.
Too bad, because I loved the sound.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #4,092 of 4,977
I was very interested in your disassembly. I love the Anandas, which I bought a couple of weeks ago.
But I was noticing such uncomfort that didn't make any sense. I have a Sundara, which share the same headband, and I never had a problem with them.
Then I realized the leathery headband that rests on your head was shorter than the one on the Sundara, which put more force on the top of the head.
I measured both leather bands and the one in the Sundara (2018 model) was over 1 cm longer, despite it being a smaller headphone.
I may be wrong, but I tried the Anandas at a store and they didn't feel like mine at all. I just think it is a case of poor manufacturing control.
They're going back, whatever the reason for the problem. I just can't stand them. Maybe if I had a smaller head I wouldn't notice the difference.
Too bad, because I loved the sound.
The leather headband, you can make a custom one for the size of your need and comfort, is what many people do when they have a big head or feel that the original fit is not enough.

1635936871155.png

1635938425378.png

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #4,093 of 4,977
Thanks, but it doesn't seem that easy to make (and attach) the new headband. The edges go into the headband, inside, and removing it would require more interest from my side.
I just don't know why anyone would change the length of the headband. If anyone here wants to measure theirs, it would be interesting to compare.

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #4,094 of 4,977
Thanks, but it doesn't seem that easy to make (and attach) the new headband. The edges go into the headband, inside, and removing it would require more interest from my side.
I just don't know why anyone would change the length of the headband. If anyone here wants to measure theirs, it would be interesting to compare.
The full image can be scary, but it's very easy to change, just undo these two silver parts, it's just a matter of 3 minutes, it's not necessary to disassemble the entire phone as shown in the image, but as you're not interested, let it be.

1635974630889.png

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #4,095 of 4,977
The full image can be scary, but it's very easy to change, just undo these two silver parts, it's just a matter of 3 minutes, it's not necessary to disassemble the entire phone as shown in the image, but as you're not interested, let it be.

1635974630889.png
Ok, let's say I want to give it a try. How do I undo those silver parts? Just pulling? They seem pretty hard to pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back