Hifiman Ananda
Jun 1, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #3,751 of 4,987
After a couple days and 20+ hours on these new Ananda's I have reached a verdict. (In brief) The bad stuff first. 1. The cables: (see my above post) are trash. 2. The build quality: while better than I expected is not gonna work for me. One of the 3.5 jacks feels like it does not engage all the way and may lead to problems later. The pleather head strap , while not awful, is not easily replaceable and is a wear item. I have read where others who have Hifiman with a similar strap have had extreme difficulty getting a replacement. Even while said headphone was still in production(!). If I want to keep these for 10+ years, they will not make it. I am not a 'modder' or a 'leather craftsman'. I would happily purchase replacement parts if I knew they would last a while and be available. 3. the ear pads: Again these were better than I expected, but they appear to wear fast, are expensive to replace and I want to be able to replace these with OE pads years from now. I have serious doubts that this company will continue producing these after the headphones that use them go out of production ( or even make them readily available in the near future).

Now the good (great really). 1. The sound: These are the second best headphones I have heard at any price. The only headphone I like better is the HD800S ( I would give this a tie with the HD800). Without EQ I actually prefer these to the HD800/S. The HD800 is just the best for me overall. 2. Comfort/fit: For me the comfort and fit on these is only a little behind the HD800/S, which again for me, is the best comfort I have experienced. The ear pads on these are firm yet supple. The size and shape fits my fat head really well. 3. Build/style: While as noted above these have some fairly serious quality issues, there are some things about the build that I love. Ear pads :white_check_mark:. Fit :white_check_mark:. Style :white_check_mark:. Cup shape :white_check_mark:. and most of all they are very lightweight. They weigh slightly more than the HD800/S but in the hand and on the head they feel even lighter!

I may try the Edition X with the old (ugly) style headband later or maybe they will revise this model later. If they do revise it and improve even just the headband quality or serviceability I will be first in line. I am really sad to have to return these, but if I don't, I know for sure I will regret keeping them due to the above issues. Even though sound wise they were built with me in mind. :beers:

Just an fyi you can get this directly from Hifiman and can probably be modified to fit the Ananda: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/original-headband.html

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #3,752 of 4,987
I can't speak for everyone or for all cables but I definitely hear an audible difference between the stock cable and the Periapt cable. And the difference isn't all that subtle. But I won't waste any time trying to convince anyone. I know what I hear and that's all that matters.
I don't disagree with you but but it's not night and day difference to rationalize the price of some $200+ cables (I don't mean the Periapt)

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #3,754 of 4,987
Ananda does not hold a candle to the HE-6. Not even close. Not even the HE-6se V2 can match the HE-6
It's not fair to compare an $800 can to a $1,300 one

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #3,755 of 4,987
Ananda does not hold a candle to the HE-6. Not even close. Not even the HE-6se V2 can match the HE-6
Too subtle perhaps. I wrote "in YOUR opinion". Not mine. I've posted about 80 posts re: HE-6 and Ananda, and while I probably rarely compared them in all those posts it;s quite clear that the HE-6 and HE-500 represent heights in design that have rarely been matched since. The Ananda at this time represents a very good value at its price point with some serious nits IMO.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #3,756 of 4,987
Too subtle perhaps. I wrote "in YOUR opinion". Not mine. I've posted about 80 posts re: HE-6 and Ananda, and while I probably rarely compared them in all those posts it;s quite clear that the HE-6 and HE-500 represent heights in design that have rarely been matched since. The Ananda at this time represents a very good value at its price point with some serious nits IMO.
Mind to mention that R&D are in place from which the Ananda did benefit and the difference in performance is not as much as reflected in the price gap between the 2.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #3,757 of 4,987
The HE-6 hasn't been sold new in about six years. Used they are available at ~$900. Ananda $699 new and maybe $500-550 used. Unless you segregate can costs into a dozen or more narrow bands those prices to me indicate a reasonable comparison.

The HE-6 is probably more myth than real these days. How many prospective Ananda buyers have heard a HE-6 under good circumstances? If they did they wouldn't question any longer that the HE-6 bass impact is defining while the Ananda is close to a cooked piece of pasta.

In the world of audio, many times buyers will go from a $1000 to a $2000 piece for a 1.5% gain. So a used $900 can vs a new $699 one - that's 32.4% more for the HE-6, and its a lot more than 1.5% better. That does not address the age/failure issues - but its HFM. Buying one can be faith vs Russian Roulette.

I never have compared the HE-6 and Ananda head to head. However I have compared a modified/EQ'd HE-500 vs an EQ'd Ananda w/ an improved cable - and the 500 was at least 15% better. Even the Ananda owner concluded the 500 ate his can for breakfast.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #3,758 of 4,987
Mind to mention that R&D are in place from which the Ananda did benefit and the difference in performance is not as much as reflected in the price gap between the 2.

Except for the HEK v2, HEK se, Susvara - IMO HFM has struggled badly to follow up the HE-500 and HE-6. The Arya is a partial success. All the fooling around with the 500, 6, 400, 560, Sundara - various remakes and new versions certainly do not match the 500 or the 6. The HEX and Ananda don't do the job either.

The first 3 I listed are all way out of the price range of the 500, 6. The Arya is closer, but needs: a very analog sounding DAC, a solid amp that is not bright, O2 free cable, and EQ to really play with the big boys

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #3,761 of 4,987
The HE-6 hasn't been sold new in about six years. Used they are available at ~$900. Ananda $699 new and maybe $500-550 used. Unless you segregate can costs into a dozen or more narrow bands those prices to me indicate a reasonable comparison.

The HE-6 is probably more myth than real these days. How many prospective Ananda buyers have heard a HE-6 under good circumstances? If they did they wouldn't question any longer that the HE-6 bass impact is defining while the Ananda is close to a cooked piece of pasta.

In the world of audio, many times buyers will go from a $1000 to a $2000 piece for a 1.5% gain. So a used $900 can vs a new $699 one - that's 32.4% more for the HE-6, and its a lot more than 1.5% better. That does not address the age/failure issues - but its HFM. Buying one can be faith vs Russian Roulette.

I never have compared the HE-6 and Ananda head to head. However I have compared a modified/EQ'd HE-500 vs an EQ'd Ananda w/ an improved cable - and the 500 was at least 15% better. Even the Ananda owner concluded the 500 ate his can for breakfast.
Buying used or refurbished electronic equipment is not an option for me, a $900 priced used can is a $900 can today, if it fails tomorrow it’s worth nothing.
I had my Focal cans dual driver replaced after 4.5 years coz of the valid warranty of 5 years on the first release of Utopia and Elear.
But off course to each his preferences

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #3,762 of 4,987
I didn't think about this, and indeed this is the case. I've noticed that the bass impact isn't so great on the Estats, and newer thinner diaphragm Hifimans exhibit those traits.
Try the Ananda with a tube hybrid, you will be surprised with the bass

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #3,764 of 4,987
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #3,765 of 4,987
Of course it is.
Buying used or refurbished electronic equipment is not an option for me, a $900 priced used can is a $900 can today, if it fails tomorrow it’s worth nothing.
I had my Focal cans dual driver replaced after 4.5 years coz of the valid warranty of 5 years on the first release of Utopia and Elear.
But off course to each his preferences
If a 900$ can fails tomorrow it's worth 900$ - price to repair it. Only if the parts are not longer manifactured and no other third party service can replicate them you have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back