Hifiman Ananda
May 31, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #3,736 of 4,987
Ananda and Arya use the same cables? Asking as I am not sure what the standard is, 2.5 or 3.5 at the headphone cups.
Ananda (the pair I have anyway) are 3.5. Everywhere I have read it seems the Arya are the same.

May 31, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #3,737 of 4,987
100% for sure hybrids make the most sense for planars as an alternative to SS. Some tube amps that are not hybrid and not OTL should work as well, but not many and probably big bucks.
Few SET tube amps also work but nothing on the cheap side.

May 31, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3,738 of 4,987
Ananda and Arya use the same cables? Asking as I am not sure what the standard is, 2.5 or 3.5 at the headphone cups.
Not sure if the initial run of Anandas was 2.5. The HEX v2 is, which is too flipping bad.

May 31, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #3,740 of 4,987
They do use the same now at this point. 3.5

May 31, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #3,741 of 4,987
Just picked these up this morning. They are pretty amazing. This is not a review but one thing is for sure: If you are listening to these without an amp, straight out of your smart phone or PC, you are missing out. First I "tried" her straight out of my iphone dongle DAC with 3 or 4 of my go to test tracks. Dynamics, headroom, detail were all severely lacking. Which I find is always the case when somebody says something like "these sound just fine out of any device, no amp needed". The Apple dongle DAC (or anything else with +/- 33mw) is for convenience only (or children). Next I listened to the same group of songs from my Fiio Q5S AM3D (with a 4.4 balanced Stellia cable) - soooooo much better in every regard. I was pretty satisfied with the results with this amp. However I wanted to see what she was really capable of. So finally tried her with my JDS Labs Element II. Wow. Super tight and controlled bass, power to spare. While listening to Paquito D'Rivera- Tropicana Nights, I felt the urge to turn and look at instruments in the room with me. Only to feel a little silly and remind myself that I was listening to headphones. I have heard this track hundreds of times and never had that same sensation.

Yes. Your findings back up those of a few here. The generally held belief among experienced users is 2 wpc min. at 38 ohms. A few folks have picked at them - one hilariously stating that they were worse than HE-400's - but once he got the right amp, that claim went up in smoke.

I tried them on my DAP's and LG V40 cell (all under 1 WPC and the results were as you state - and worse).

Now the plug for improving them:

1. stock silver plated cable is dreadful, replace with any capable new OFC copper, including DIY, don't go broke, just replace. The steely quality of the highs cleans up.

2. pads - the best and only pad (for me) is the Dan Clark ether angled Lambskin. Any angled better than any flat I found (12 diff tested) - soundstage depth/image wholeness improves dramatically. The DC's along with removing the back screen (or replacing it with a screen is more open than stock also gives a very wide sound stage. Most others give a meh soundstage.

3. yes take off rear screens, lose a bit of lower bass, but get a lot more clarity and openness. Ran with a better screen for a year, last two au naturale - zero problems.

4. biggest improvement: fuzzor mod, which I list here because it is reverseable but takes patience. This mod cuts out a lot of cancellation and smearing of notes. It's epic.

5. On outer side along outer edge, place dynamat, blu-tac, sorbothane. This markedly cuts down "one note bass" with long sustain instruments (bass guitar). Over doing it dries up the bass too much. I use 3 pieces of dynamat cut in 3 diff lengths equaling the amount of space not covered. .8", 1.3", 2" (roughly). Sorb is the best but doesn't stick well in a semi circle.

6. The 500 is not a flat can, after the mods it sounds a lot better, but is still not flat. It needs a 10 band parametric digital EQ (or better) - 8 of the settings for FR issues, but the other two can be used as notch filters for ringing. One area is in the 3-4 kHz area, the other is between 8-10.5 k. You won't find the answer in any FR chart. You'll need a waterfall plot - hopefully done with the pads you have- and then careful testing with your ears. A huge voiced and mic'd soprano can help with the lower, any complicated and somewhat sharp recording (s) can help with the higher one.

7. Original headband is also junk. I use a 4xx original band and its helps with comfort and weight dist, no reason for a Lohb.

The way that mine are set up they easily vault the Ananda, and are arguable vs the HE-6 (any of the 4), Arya, and LCD-2 (easily). All that work they are also much easier to listen to for hours and hours. Very few current cans are worth the huge vault in price to the SoTA jobs such as LCD-4, Susvara, HEK se, Voce, 007, 009, Empy, E2 - that's a pocketbook issue really. And as stated before 2 wpc at 38 ohms or better. I think 4 wpc in class A really does the trick.

May 31, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,742 of 4,987
Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #3,743 of 4,987
May 31, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #3,744 of 4,987
3.5mm.

I share a lovely Gravedigger between Sundara, Ananda and Focal Elex.
Gravedigger cables are very well made 👍

May 31, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #3,745 of 4,987
So when I first became interested in the Ananda and started doing all manner of online research I glossed over everyones comments on the cables.....People always talk crap about cables. Sheeple said HD800 cables were not good (they are in fact excellent), sheeple said the Focal Stellia cables were "the worst ever" (in reality they are decent to good). Sheeple say Audeze LCD series cables are not good (best standard cables I have seen). For me (excluding non detachable cables) the worst cables I have seen were the ones that came with my E-MU Teak (pure, hot, garbage). To which Hifiman says to E-MU "hold my beer bitch!". Have you ever donated blood or plasma? Remember the tube that attaches to the needle? So picture that, only in a dirty, semi clear, beige color. Is there even one person who has seen these (anywhere, ever) that was like "Yes! That is the look and quality I have been searching for?" My 14 YO boy saw them and said "yuck" and that was before he had the misfortune of touching them. Hifiman, the new and undisputed, garbage cable champion. :trophy:

Edit: In all fairness these cables seem to have very little microphonics. Also if you like these cables, I am sorry. Not sorry that I said these things about the cables. Sorry that you like these cables. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #3,746 of 4,987
Current Ananda plugs are 3.5mm
We all agree on that. The question is did the early ones have 2.5? I seem to remember they did, and someone hunting a used Ananda might want to know what he/she is getting. Corpse ad seems to back it up.

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #3,747 of 4,987
So when I first became interested in the Ananda and started doing all manner of online research I glossed over everyones comments on the cables.....People always talk crap about cables. Sheeple said HD800 cables were not good (they are in fact excellent), sheeple said the Focal Stellia cables were "the worst ever" (in reality they are decent to good). Sheeple say Audeze LCD series cables are not good (best standard cables I have seen). For me (excluding non detachable cables) the worst cables I have seen were the ones that came with my E-MU Teak (pure, hot, garbage). To which Hifiman says to E-MU "hold my beer bitch!". Have you ever donated blood or plasma? Remember the tube that attaches to the needle? So picture that, only in a dirty, semi clear, beige color. Is there even one person who has seen these (anywhere, ever) that was like "Yes! That is the look and quality I have been searching for?" My 14 YO boy saw them and said "yuck" and that was before he had the misfortune of touching them. Hifiman, the new and undisputed, garbage cable champion. :trophy:

Edit: In all fairness these cables seem to have very little microphonics. Also if you like these cables, I am sorry. Not sorry that I said these things about the cables. Sorry that you like these cables. :sunglasses:
In fact although Hifiman stock cables or even Sen or Audeze are not the best quality cables out there but still upgrading those cables and hearing an audible difference is nothing more than a placibo.
Durability is what changes and lots of cable companies are making lots of money convincing people about an audible upgrade.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #3,748 of 4,987
We all agree on that. The question is did the early ones have 2.5? I seem to remember they did, and someone hunting a used Ananda might want to know what he/she is getting. Corpse ad seems to back it up.
Correct early generations of Ananda had the 2.5mm plugs 👍

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #3,749 of 4,987
In fact although Hifiman stock cables or even Sen or Audeze are not the best quality cables out there but still upgrading those cables and hearing an audible difference is nothing more than a placibo.
Durability is what changes and lots of cable companies are making lots of money convincing people about an audible upgrade.
I can't speak for everyone or for all cables but I definitely hear an audible difference between the stock cable and the Periapt cable. And the difference isn't all that subtle. But I won't waste any time trying to convince anyone. I know what I hear and that's all that matters.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #3,750 of 4,987
After a couple days and 20+ hours on these new Ananda's I have reached a verdict. (In brief) The bad stuff first. 1. The cables: (see my above post) are trash. 2. The build quality: while better than I expected is not gonna work for me. One of the 3.5 jacks feels like it does not engage all the way and may lead to problems later. The pleather head strap , while not awful, is not easily replaceable and is a wear item. I have read where others who have Hifiman with a similar strap have had extreme difficulty getting a replacement. Even while said headphone was still in production(!). If I want to keep these for 10+ years, they will not make it. I am not a 'modder' or a 'leather craftsman'. I would happily purchase replacement parts if I knew they would last a while and be available. 3. the ear pads: Again these were better than I expected, but they appear to wear fast, are expensive to replace and I want to be able to replace these with OE pads years from now. I have serious doubts that this company will continue producing these after the headphones that use them go out of production ( or even make them readily available in the near future).

Now the good (great really). 1. The sound: These are the second best headphones I have heard at any price. The only headphone I like better is the HD800S ( I would give this a tie with the HD800). Without EQ I actually prefer these to the HD800/S. The HD800 is just the best for me overall. 2. Comfort/fit: For me the comfort and fit on these is only a little behind the HD800/S, which again for me, is the best comfort I have experienced. The ear pads on these are firm yet supple. The size and shape fits my fat head really well. 3. Build/style: While as noted above these have some fairly serious quality issues, there are some things about the build that I love. Ear pads :white_check_mark:. Fit :white_check_mark:. Style :white_check_mark:. Cup shape :white_check_mark:. and most of all they are very lightweight. They weigh slightly more than the HD800/S but in the hand and on the head they feel even lighter!

I may try the Edition X with the old (ugly) style headband later or maybe they will revise this model later. If they do revise it and improve even just the headband quality or serviceability I will be first in line. I am really sad to have to return these, but if I don't, I know for sure I will regret keeping them due to the above issues. Even though sound wise they were built with me in mind. :beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back