Hifiman Ananda
May 6, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #3,631 of 4,981
Looking for suitable replacement to the stock 3.5mm cable for the Ananda, as i'm out of warranty and mine's cutting out in both channels.
Amp is JDS Labs Element1, so unbalanced.
I've read of Periapt Type 8 being as good or better than the stock cable? I notice the 3.5mm cup-side terminations are TRS instead of TRRS like the stock cable has, does that make a difference?
Other cable recommendations? Looking to spend under $100 really, and targeting 5-7' 3.5mm as this is for close desk use across multiple multimedia devices (including phone, monitor, switch, etc.)

Sidenote... The Stock 6.3mm cable has come out as backup... and while it's more detailed and smooth, it has SO much less mid and high treble, and non-existent sub-bass. Part of the reason I've used the 3.5mm cable and am looking for a replacement that maintains the energy but could give me the detail the 6.3mm stock cable does.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #3,633 of 4,981
Looking for suitable replacement to the stock 3.5mm cable for the Ananda, as i'm out of warranty and mine's cutting out in both channels.
Amp is JDS Labs Element1, so unbalanced.
I've read of Periapt Type 8 being as good or better than the stock cable? I notice the 3.5mm cup-side terminations are TRS instead of TRSS like the stock cable has, does that make a difference?
Other cable recommendations? Looking to spend under $100 really, and targeting 5-7' 3.5mm as this is for close desk use across multiple mulimedia devices (including phone, monitor, switch, etc.)

Sidenote... The Stock 6.3mm cable has come out as backup... and while it's more detialed and smooth, it has SO much less mid and high treble, and non-existant sub-bass. Part of the reason I've used the 3.5mm cable and am looking for a replacement that maintains the energy but could give me the detail the 6.3mm stock cable does.
beyerdynamic does a good quality and reasonably priced cable.

May 7, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #3,635 of 4,981
Sold, I want to try something else.
However, I think they are very good headphones, they just lack a bit of dynamics and punch, which is what I'm looking for now.

But the thing that bored me over time was mainly the huge pads ... not so much for the comfort, as the difficulty in finding the right positioning every time to make them sound at their best and with the right balance. Maybe it's just my problem, but it has often been irritating.

May 7, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #3,637 of 4,981
How good are these vs Sundara? I was under the impression given the value proposition and original $500 price that they may not be a good upgrade for someone who eventually wants to go Arya and has Sundara and I should just save for an Arya instead... Thanks!

They are fairly different. The Sundara has the HFM round cup bass - meaning a good amount with a good transient snap and a bit rich in tone. The Ananda has faster bass that reaches deeper, but it doesn't have the grunt or transient. Its cleaner overall, has better definition, is a bit bright IMO in the mid treble, and being so fast and light, they are transparent but almost too much as richer sounds are not fully colored in. Also overtones seem to get short shrift.

Final comment: Like rich juicy bass and dislike the absence of it? Get the Sundara, and forget the Ananda. Don't care about the bass so much, and want a nice soundstage? Get the Ananda.

May 7, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,638 of 4,981
However, I think they are very good headphones, they just lack a bit of dynamics and punch, which is what I'm looking for now.

But the thing that bored me over time was mainly the huge pads ... not so much for the comfort, as the difficulty in finding the right positioning every time to make them sound at their best and with the right balance. Maybe it's just my problem, but it has often been irritating.
The early long can HFM's have this problem. The HEX v2 and Ananda have to played with endlessly to get the best of: treble extension, sound stage, least amount of bass leak.

Somehow the Arya and HEK v2 and se are not quite as hair trigger on placement, but then I've spent less time with those then the first two.

May 7, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #3,639 of 4,981
beyerdynamic does a good quality and reasonably priced cable.
I've made cables with scraps from Hershey Kiss wrappers that sound better then the cables made by HFM - any after market OFC copper cable is a big step up. DIY will cost a lot less.

May 7, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,640 of 4,981
I'm not sure why people seem to expect this to be a bassy headphone.
Looking around I have yet to see anyone advertise it as such and the frequency response does not indicate it is. So I guess I'm just a little confused when people are surprised it doesn't have much slam.
Ummm no. they are still going strong at 15 Hz, but they don't have force over area impact that say the HE-6 does - and a fairly flat midbass so they sound lean, but, from 100 - 20 Hz on the bench there isn't a lot to complain about. The HE-6 I think has a greater/equal magnet with a smaller diaphragm han the Ananda giving that quick and impactful bass.

May 7, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #3,641 of 4,981
I agree with this and if you find yourself agreeing with this. In my opinion if you have the money instead of going with the sundara you can find an he6se for 600 and it's basically the better version of the sundara with more slam but the elegant high-end of the Ananda but I would say smoother and less peaky and bright. You do need five watts per channel so good luck :)
No question that all forms of HE-6 (4 screw, 6 screw, v1, v2) lay waste to the Ananda, not to mention the 400, Sundara, and dozens of other cans. If you can get them in the the occasional low price bracket - then you are doing well. Ditch the pads, cables, and screens and perform the "fuzzor mod" (more effective on first two), and you're talking about a $1500 can. The 4 screw might need 8 watts BTW.

May 7, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #3,642 of 4,981
No question that all forms of HE-6 (4 screw, 6 screw, v1, v2) lay waste to the Ananda, not to mention the 400, Sundara, and dozens of other cans. If you can get them in the the occasional low price bracket - then you are doing well. Ditch the pads, cables, and screens and perform the "fuzzor mod" (more effective on first two), and you're talking about a $1500 can. The 4 screw might need 8 watts BTW.
HE-6 vs HE1000SE?
HE-6 vs Arya?

May 7, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #3,643 of 4,981
HE-6 vs HE1000SE?
HE-6 vs Arya?

The HEK SE is a much better can than the 6, although like other big cup HFM's it doesn't quite have the impact of the HE-6 remakes and is another 2 steps down from the original HE-6 bass.

HE-6 (new) and Arya makes for a pretty good battle. The 6 at $599 new is a well better deal than the new Arya. But price aside, you have to listen to decide.

May 7, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #3,644 of 4,981
HE-6 vs HE1000SE?
HE-6 vs Arya?
It depends on your preference. The big cup HFM have a different approach to treble and have pretty tall soundstages with cool spatial.

If you are treble sensitive the Arya and SE will probably be too intense. The Arya also has more grain with certain vocals compared to the HE6SE.

The HE6SE sub bass hits harder but doesn't have the same sensation as the bigger HFM.

They're different enough , that if you have a preference to certain tonalities and presentation of headspace effects,that you should listen to both and decide.

May 7, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #3,645 of 4,981
The HEK SE is a much better can than the 6, although like other big cup HFM's it doesn't quite have the impact of the HE-6 remakes and is another 2 steps down from the original HE-6 bass.

HE-6 (new) and Arya makes for a pretty good battle. The 6 at $599 new is a well better deal than the new Arya. But price aside, you have to listen to decide.
wow I didn't even know that you could get a HE-6 that low... I have to confirm is that a typo?!

It depends on your preference. The big cup HFM have a different approach to treble and have pretty tall soundstages with cool spatial.

If you are treble sensitive the Arya and SE will probably be too intense. The Arya also has more grain with certain vocals compared to the HE6SE.

The HE6SE sub bass hits harder but doesn't have the same sensation as the bigger HFM.

They're different enough , that if you have a preference to certain tonalities and presentation of headspace effects,that you should listen to both and decide.
Looking at yours and @bagwell359's post I think I want the HE-6 and to skip the Arya and go for the HE1000SE for endgames..... sick. I love it thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back