Hifiman Ananda
Apr 22, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #3,616 of 4,977
Not sure what you’re talking about
Yeah my comment was for your post in this thread on 4/16. I was asking if you used your settings with music in the 20 & 30 Hz area where you were making fairly heavy changes. No matter how many DB you add to the Ananda it will never have the impact of say a HE-6 6 screw, or a HE-6se v2. But at +20db at 20 Hz there is a good chance for lots of amusical audible effects.

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #3,617 of 4,977
Hi, I received my Ananda two days ago. And right out of the box I tried it with my FIIO X5 III. And I was quite disappointed! Soundstage was good, separation and details were good. But very few bass! (normally I used T5P (2nd) with my FIIO X5 III and there is plenty of bass, but also not too much). Also T5P sounded much more dynamic and less compressed than the Ananda! After 15 hours the bass even decreased! Now it has nearly 0 bass. Sounds like a GRADO SR60. I hope this will improve with the time. If not I will sell this ASAP. I also will try it with my Mojo/Poly, which has more power. Maybe this helps. But for a nearly reference headphone it is until now really disappointing! Any idea if the bass response will change over time?

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #3,618 of 4,977
Hi, I received my Ananda two days ago. And right out of the box I tried it with my FIIO X5 III. And I was quite disappointed! Soundstage was good, separation and details were good. But very few bass! (normally I used T5P (2nd) with my FIIO X5 III and there is plenty of bass, but also not too much). Also T5P sounded much more dynamic and less compressed than the Ananda! After 15 hours the bass even decreased! Now it has nearly 0 bass. Sounds like a GRADO SR60. I hope this will improve with the time. If not I will sell this ASAP. I also will try it with my Mojo/Poly, which has more power. Maybe this helps. But for a nearly reference headphone it is until now really disappointing! Any idea if the bass response will change over time?

The Ananda has textured sub bass without eq, it doesn't slam. If you can EQ, they will respond well.

Apr 23, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #3,619 of 4,977
I'm not sure why people seem to expect this to be a bassy headphone.
Looking around I have yet to see anyone advertise it as such and the frequency response does not indicate it is. So I guess I'm just a little confused when people are surprised it doesn't have much slam.

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #3,620 of 4,977
I just ordered the Loki mini plus. I love the Ananda but just want to play around with the bass on some EDM tracks.
For burn in , I played white noise for a couple days through the cans and they did sound better and less congested afterward.

On a separate note, has anyone tried removing the cloth cover from the Amanda, either the outside or inside ?
removing the foam from the HD600 helped their soundstage and I’m wondering if the same works for ananda but the cloth is glued on and I’d rather see what other people’s results were before I pry mine off.

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #3,621 of 4,977
Hello all! I've been into the hobby for a bit now but mostly just the Reddit side of things, so this is my first post here!

I just recently upgraded from a set of HE4XX to Anandas and I wanted to share some impressions. When I reference EQ, I am talking about a personally modified-to-my-tastes version from Oratory1990's preset index.

Cans I have owned and tried: K7XX, SHP9500, Meze 99 Noir, M40x, Sivga SV006, KSC75 (these are bitchin)

BASS: It's all there. You can give these a 10db bass shelf and they still sound phenomenal. With the HE4XX, EQing in that much bass would be reaching the absolute limit of the driver. The size of the drivers as well as the cans' shape is very conducive to providing this b i g thick sound in the lows.

MIDS: Vocals on these are far superior on these compare to HE4XX, especially un EQd. Female vocals especially are just rich and full bodied, and trumpets in jazz tracks as well as middle frequency string instrument sound is wonderful.

TREBLE: To me, the treble is where a good planar can really shine in terms of transients and taking advantage of the immediacy of a membrane driver. This can does it, although I'd say these are not as bright as some describe them, which did not surprise me--I prefer brighter headphones despite my younger age for whatever reason. These seem less bright than the un EQd HE4XX to me, more along the lines of the K7XX brightness. But better in every way. I EQ just a bit more treble and they certainly make me happy--high end headphones have so much more treble extension especially with EQ, wow.

Overall, these headphones really excel in microdynamics and accuracy to me. Transients are instantaneous, even with a ton of EQ, and that means these have a very good level of detail. However, for whatever reason, my ears still percieve my Blessing 2s as just a touch more detailed. I do not percieve these to be detail kings, there is still that last bit of unresolved-ness and fuzziness that I can juuuust percieve, I believe. I have a feeling it really only gets better from here due to placebo effect and the i-spent-a-lot-of-money effect to a certain degree. But the "bigness" of the soundstage and just the sheer size of the drivers means that these certainly still have their place. Eventually I want to try Focal Clear/Elex as well as LCD-2 someday for some more comparison opportunities.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #3,622 of 4,977
I'm not sure why people seem to expect this to be a bassy headphone.
Looking around I have yet to see anyone advertise it as such and the frequency response does not indicate it is. So I guess I'm just a little confused when people are surprised it doesn't have much slam.
There is a difference between bassy and not having good bass. Every headphone that is good must have bass or else it is no longer a good headphone . Yeah the Amanda isn't that punchy But if you give it enough power the bass is adequate it's not an excuse to say well you should have known it doesn't have bass. Because it does just like every other good headphone it's just not crazy

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #3,623 of 4,977
You are probably underpowering it or not getting a good seal on the bottom section of the cup. It has quite good sub bass although I did use it with EQ most of the time because it sounded so much better

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #3,624 of 4,977
How to make Ananda sound its best:

1- Balanced Zen Can with Xbass on.
2- Eq boost the area between 1200 to 2600. Peak of the mountain will be around 1600-2000hz. Approximately 3-4db increase at its peak.
3- Eq decrease the area between 2700 to 5000. Inverse peak of the mountain between 3-4k. Approximately -3 or -4db at its peak.
4- Optional -1 to -2db 6k and above.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,625 of 4,977
1- Balanced Zen Can with Xbass on.
2- Eq boost the area between 1200 to 2600. Peak of the mountain will be around 1600-2000hz. Approximately 3-4db increase at its peak.
3- Eq decrease the area between 2700 to 5000. Inverse peak of the mountain between 3-4k. Approximately -3 or -4db at its peak.
4- Optional -1 to -2db 6k and above.

Do you mean ZEN CAN with Xbass engaged *and* all EQ corrections on top of that?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 27, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #3,626 of 4,977
There is a difference between bassy and not having good bass. Every headphone that is good must have bass or else it is no longer a good headphone . Yeah the Amanda isn't that punchy But if you give it enough power the bass is adequate it's not an excuse to say well you should have known it doesn't have bass. Because it does just like every other good headphone it's just not crazy
All I'm saying is looking at all the info that is out there nothing indicates it's bass heavy.
With a boost the response is quite good, just don't expect it to rattle teeth cuz that was never the point.
Of course everyone is a little different so deficient to you might be just fine for me.
Basically everything for punch and slam indicated a sundara would have been a better choice for example.

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #3,627 of 4,977
All I'm saying is looking at all the info that is out there nothing indicates it's bass heavy.
With a boost the response is quite good, just don't expect it to rattle teeth cuz that was never the point.
Of course everyone is a little different so deficient to you might be just fine for me.
Basically everything for punch and slam indicated a sundara would have been a better choice for example.
I totally agree with this. I own both the Ananda & Sundara and I actually bought them in the reverse order to most people, Ananda first to complement my Focal Clears and then the Sundara.

The Anandas are lucky to get 10% head time, not because they are bad but because I bought & use them for specific genres ie. orchestral, jazz, acoustic etc. Most of my listening fare is 70s to 90s rock/pop/synthwave and I will reach for the Clears or Sundaras for that material. Actually, I reach for the Sundaras more than the Clears.....but that's another story.

I should also add that I use some sort of mild EQ with all my headphones and when it comes to the Ananda I use a modest sub bass boost compared to some extreme EQ suggestions I've seen here as I'm not trying to turn it into something it's not. IMO the Ananda is not an ideal "all rounder" unless your musical tastes are heavily weighted outside the rock/pop/EDM genres. Of course this is just my opinion so take it as you will.......

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #3,628 of 4,977
I totally agree with this. I own both the Ananda & Sundara and I actually bought them in the reverse order to most people, Ananda first to complement my Focal Clears and then the Sundara.

The Anandas are lucky to get 10% head time, not because they are bad but because I bought & use them for specific genres ie. orchestral, jazz, acoustic etc. Most of my listening fare is 70s to 90s rock/pop/synthwave and I will reach for the Clears or Sundaras for that material. Actually, I reach for the Sundaras more than the Clears.....but that's another story.

I should also add that I use some sort of mild EQ with all my headphones and when it comes to the Ananda I use a modest sub bass boost compared to some extreme EQ suggestions I've seen here as I'm not trying to turn it into something it's not. IMO the Ananda is not an ideal "all rounder" unless your musical tastes are heavily weighted outside the rock/pop/EDM genres. Of course this is just my opinion so take it as you will.......
I agree with this and if you find yourself agreeing with this. In my opinion if you have the money instead of going with the sundara you can find an he6se for 600 and it's basically the better version of the sundara with more slam but the elegant high-end of the Ananda but I would say smoother and less peaky and bright. You do need five watts per channel so good luck :)

May 2, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #3,630 of 4,977
The Bass Problem is solved. After 20-30 Hours Burn in the Bass was coming back. With my Mojo ist gets enough Energy and the Bass now ist sufficient and Deep. No Need for EQ. With my Fiio I ordered a balanced OFC cable. Now the bass is much better. Even punchy with slam. Perfect for Rock Pop! Now I am really impressed with the Ananda. The level of detail, layering and soundstage is superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back