Hifiman Ananda
Feb 7, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #3,168 of 4,980
Anyone have issues with the Ananda slipping off the head when looking up or down? How securely does it fit on the head?

Not slipping off, but mine tends to move its cups backward and downward, so I have to readjust them from time to time. Probably due to lack of swivel.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #3,169 of 4,980
Anyone have issues with the Ananda slipping off the head when looking up or down? How securely does it fit on the head?
Sit still and enjoy the music 🤪🤪🤪

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #3,170 of 4,980
Not slipping off, but mine tends to move its cups backward and downward, so I have to readjust them from time to time. Probably due to lack of swivel.
Use IEM 😛

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #3,171 of 4,980

Mine did this a little bit. Getting a proper fit with a small head was a bit tedious. I eventually got a decent fit though.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #3,172 of 4,980
Thanks for the interesting info and impressions regarding the Ananda TA-20 mating, In fact it was the closest comparison for me including the Liquid Platinum and the CTH, still the CTH made the most logical decision for me due to the below facts:
- It is a simple efficient stripped headphone amp design excluding the balanced inputs and pre-amp extra cost as the original approach by Cavalli
- Having high end RCA shielded cables in short runs eliminate the need for balanced for me
- My Balanced Cambridge CXN output are already linked to my balanced Mcintosh amp
- best in class both in performance and price when it comes Schiit or Liquid Platinum when you don't need balanced connections
- The ability to shine with Planars
- A single tube which the included (Electro Harmonix) stock is not a bad one, the Gold Lion (ordered) will even make it sound better
- Single tube rolling
And finally not being able to wait a month for the TA-20 to arrive :wink:
There is even 1 used CTH now on Amazon for $160 although am against used electronics as I have bad experience in this department.
I will definitely would update you on the mating with the Ananda when I receive the CTH and will compare it with my Violectric amp as well as trying both Ananda & Elear on both amps.
An for tube rolling and any tube you would like to purchase, I would recommend https://tubedepot.com/ very helpful, professional and courteous along with best pricing.
Regarding the LP vs the CTH :

Cool, I've got a couple pair of tubes coming from tubedepot.com tomorrow:

BLACK SABLE JJ ECC82 / 12AU7 Gold Pin -
Telefunken Black Diamond ECC82 / 12AU7

I'm watching that review of the CTH/Platinum...ok, I think he didn't roll tubes on the Platinum - which has 2 tubes - because he said he only had "single tubes" to roll...

The stock EH tubes aren't the best sounding, not unusual for the stock tubes to not be the best, so perhaps if he had pairs of Genalex, Telefunken, JJ Electronic, or whatever he did have as singles as pairs, he might have heard a different tone from the Platinum.

If you get a chance to compare the TA-20 and it's follow on model with the CTH I'd love to get your reaction.

I was considering the Elise at one point, a Feliks line headphone amp might still be of interest. How does the Ananda sound on the Elise?

The Ananda sounds great on the TA-20, with a volume setting range for "rocking out" at about 60-65, while the HE6SE V2 needs almost the whole dial at 80-85, with 95 being the volume maximum on the TA-20.

Have fun, and thanks! :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #3,173 of 4,980
Hi

I am new to Headfi, joined after years of being at the fringes (was scared of jumping into the rabbit hole, lol).

My gear is Topping D70, Violectric v220 and Hifiman Ananda. I mostly listen to metal and some hard rock and Jazz. I love the bass, mid and soundstage of Ananda but I realised that I am treble sensitive and especially after listening to a tri-brid item with electrostats, it was difficult to get back to Ananda with EQing it (my ears start to ache if I don't).

I love the Ananda overall even though I don't have the time to listen to it for more than a few hours a week. However, despite my low hours, I am a sucker for quality (aren't we all!) and I was wondering how can I improve my listening experience:

1. Should I go for Topping D90 (or some other DAC) to smoothen the treble and plump the bass a tad
2. Alternatively, should I get a new Headphone, like Audeze LCD2 (I feel that a LCD2C will be a step down)?
3. Add a tube pre-amp
4. Get a hybrid amp. However, Violectric is warm enough already

Your advice is much appreciated

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #3,174 of 4,980
Feb 8, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #3,175 of 4,980
I used my Ananda with Alex Cavalli CTH initially. To me it sounded just ok, not the slightly warm character I was expecting. The Violectric has been a significant upgrade but I do appreciate the added cost.
Well my setup is not that far from yours, I have the Ananda and Elear along with Violectric V90 and Cambridge CXN as a DAC.
Just ordered the CTH too to try the tube warmth with the Gold Lion tube. To me it seems that your limitation lays on the DAC level, while the D90 is a clear step up you may also check for other DACs when shelling a near $1K on a DAC.
Another suggestion would be to audition the LCD X with Reveal+ As well as Arya or wait a bit till the new Clear is out.
I won’t alter your amps as not much could be done on their level since you have a nice combination but I would definitely try the Gold Lion tube or the JJ if you wish for a warmer sound before doing any other upgrade.

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #3,176 of 4,980
Hi

I am new to Headfi, joined after years of being at the fringes (was scared of jumping into the rabbit hole, lol).

My gear is Topping D70, Violectric v220 and Hifiman Ananda. I mostly listen to metal and some hard rock and Jazz. I love the bass, mid and soundstage of Ananda but I realised that I am treble sensitive and especially after listening to a tri-brid item with electrostats, it was difficult to get back to Ananda with EQing it (my ears start to ache if I don't).

I love the Ananda overall even though I don't have the time to listen to it for more than a few hours a week. However, despite my low hours, I am a sucker for quality (aren't we all!) and I was wondering how can I improve my listening experience:

1. Should I go for Topping D90 (or some other DAC) to smoothen the treble and plump the bass a tad
2. Alternatively, should I get a new Headphone, like Audeze LCD2 (I feel that a LCD2C will be a step down)?
3. Add a tube pre-amp

I used my Ananda with Alex Cavalli CTH initially. To me it sounded just ok, not the slightly warm character I was expecting. The Violectric has been a significant upgrade but I do appreciate the added cost.
You will need to discover these things on your own, as it really comes down to your set up and your ears, and your heart - and how the sound connects for you.

For me I prefer the DAC to be analytical and deliver what is in the bits without coloration. I don't look for the sound I want in the DAC, that gets too expensive when you also then need to support that sound you want in the AMP, and speakers - or headphone AMP and headphones.

For me I like the sound of Tube's amps, but good tube only amps that I would enjoy are expensive. So a hybrid SS / Tube amp like the TA-20 with a solid power supply to deliver the slam and emotion behind the power really came through for me.

If that's the sound you want you'll want a tube or tube hybrid with a solid power supply - large transformer and caps - designed to deliver current to your headphones. Not an amp run with a 5v / 12v wall wart with no umph behind it's power rating.

That's why I picked the TA-20, as I didn't want to spend a lot of money, but I knew there would be a cost more than $99 for the sound I was looking for. I also got the TA-20 at a discount during the holidays, not a lot but every little bit helps.

And, for me the TA-20 + Ananda / HE6SE really rock, slam, and sing emotion to me. I'm very happy with them all.

I hope you find the sound you are looking for too :)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #3,177 of 4,980
[/QUOTE]
Cool, I've got a couple pair of tubes coming from tubedepot.com tomorrow:

BLACK SABLE JJ ECC82 / 12AU7 Gold Pin -
Telefunken Black Diamond ECC82 / 12AU7

I'm watching that review of the CTH/Platinum...ok, I think he didn't roll tubes on the Platinum - which has 2 tubes - because he said he only had "single tubes" to roll...

The stock EH tubes aren't the best sounding, not unusual for the stock tubes to not be the best, so perhaps if he had pairs of Genalex, Telefunken, JJ Electronic, or whatever he did have as singles as pairs, he might have heard a different tone from the Platinum.

If you get a chance to compare the TA-20 and it's follow on model with the CTH I'd love to get your reaction.

I was considering the Elise at one point, a Feliks line headphone amp might still be of interest. How does the Ananda sound on the Elise?

The Ananda sounds great on the TA-20, with a volume setting range for "rocking out" at about 60-65, while the HE6SE V2 needs almost the whole dial at 80-85, with 95 being the volume maximum on the TA-20.

Have fun, and thanks! :L3000:
cool tubes you ordered, in fact i went with the Gold Lion as per the tech guru at Tube Depot. Still waiting for the CTH along with the tubes to arrive to start my testing.
And you are right, he didn’t tube roll on the LP so he judged it with the stock tubes but still a LP with upgraded tubes will easily go above the $1K Mark which exceeds the LP value. I believe the TA 20 is a better value than the LP in this case. Hoping the CTH to deliver too and especially power wise with the Ananda and if not with the Elear.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #3,178 of 4,980
Hi

3. Add a tube pre-amp

You can buy a filter, which will help. Contact and details are linked below.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/passive-filters/

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #3,179 of 4,980
Hi

3. Add a tube pre-amp

And BTW adding a tube pre-amp will introduce a bottle neck within your audio chain unless it’s a high end pre-amp with balanced in and out thus limiting the original signal before reaching the V220 along with the possibility to choose to pass through the signal (passive mode) without going inside the PA circuit.
Alternately you can use the pre-out on your V220 to mount the TA 20 or any other tube or hybrid amp. Remember the V220 needs to be powered to allow signal path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back