Hifiman Ananda
Dec 25, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,681 of 4,981
Question from a newbie...is the ananda any step up from the he560?
You don't find 560 a bit peaky at 7-8k? The treble was too much for me to handle. So, a lot of headphones are better than it for me. Tonal balance is quite important to me.

Ananda is definately technically superior in every way. From what I've read and heard of the new Hifiman build quality with the plastic parts snapping... , I'd consider hard about build quality. even the 560 bulk sold by Adorama on discount had yoke snapping issues. Hifiman need to work on such issues as there is no justificantion for such build quality for the pricing based on being made with Chinese wage labor. Even the craftsmanship and design shows cheapness.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #1,682 of 4,981
Question from a newbie...is the ananda any step up from the he560?
Yes, and no, because they are different because they are different sized, round vs. egg-shaped. Some consider the 560 to be a planar HD800 / HD800s, while some consider the Ananda to be the HFM egg-shaped version of the 560, but they are not the same. I own both and would say, buy the 560 if you want a planar HD800 / HD800s, but buy the Ananda if you want the HFM egg-shaped 560ish sound. The 560 is a “wall of sound” in front of you with subwoofers; where the Ananda is a “room of sound” with sound literally coming out of the four walls, ceiling, and floor – all with subwoofers and I swear I hear reflections.

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,685 of 4,981
It is lean and ethereal , bass is OK but nothing to do with the famous planar bass etc.

I'm not sure, actually. From what I read about the headphone I expected almost a bass-light sound, but any leanness in the Ananda's sound would be with the midrange and/or upper bass. The lower/sub bass is extremely warm and eveloping. It seems ridiculously deep and cavernous at times; the largeness of the images it creates causes that rumbling enveloping quality. Perhaps the leanness of the midrange contributes to that illusion of the bass being cavernous as well.

I'm comparing it to my LCD2 Classic right now and the Ananda has a tad less slam (marginal) but actually beats the Audeze for rumble. The LCD2 Classic beats the Ananda for impact more in the midrange - on bass notes they are much closer.

The LCD2 Classic is a planar known for having 'good planar bass' so I'd say that the Ananda easily qualifies as having stereotypically good planar bass.

I certainly know what Toby Joe means when he says it sometimes sounds like you're in a cave with subwoofers on the walls, floors and ceilings!

Or is my LCD2 Classic defective? I swear those are meant to have better bass than the Ananda's...

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #1,688 of 4,981
OK , let's wait for the comparison.
You might be wondering why buy the Ananda if you have the 800s. I had the ed x to compliment the 800s. ( in my set up the 800s was my preference over the ed x.)
The Ed x stopped working and hifimans great support replaced them with the Ananda. Which will be here soon.
I’ve thought about putting the brand new Ananda up for sale before the box is open.. Because this thread suggests they are not a good headphone to compliment the 800s.
But let’s take a listen. I might Have to sell the new anandas and look for a more bass heavy headphone. One that compliments the 800s.

Dec 29, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,690 of 4,981
I also have both. Just hope balanced cable will bring me more dynamic due to more power from amp but I recon compression make it futile.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #1,693 of 4,981
Ananda's do not have the impact of a he-6 in the bass. Its more diffuse. An. anda does have more bass under 20 Hz which does me no good

As for the 560 yes it very much reminds me of the Ananda. Bright, defined, very solid state sounding. I like the he-500 much more than v1 o f the 560 and the HEX v2 over the Ananda which I guess is why I own them. YMMV

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #1,694 of 4,981
Yes, and no, because they are different because they are different sized, round vs. egg-shaped. Some consider the 560 to be a planar HD800 / HD800s, while some consider the Ananda to be the HFM egg-shaped version of the 560, but they are not the same. I own both and would say, buy the 560 if you want a planar HD800 / HD800s, but buy the Ananda if you want the HFM egg-shaped 560ish sound. The 560 is a “wall of sound” in front of you with subwoofers; where the Ananda is a “room of sound” with sound literally coming out of the four walls, ceiling, and floor – all with subwoofers and I swear I hear reflections.[/QUOT
Yes, and no, because they are different because they are different sized, round vs. egg-shaped. Some consider the 560 to be a planar HD800 / HD800s, while some consider the Ananda to be the HFM egg-shaped version of the 560, but they are not the same. I own both and would say, buy the 560 if you want a planar HD800 / HD800s, but buy the Ananda if you want the HFM egg-shaped 560ish sound. The 560 is a “wall of sound” in front of you with subwoofers; where the Ananda is a “room of sound” with sound literally coming out of the four walls, ceiling, and floor – all with subwoofers and I swear I hear reflections.
I have never heard anyone compare a 560 as a rough equal to the 800S. Just saying.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #1,695 of 4,981
^ hope your correct. I’ve got a pair coming in the mail to compliment my 800s. If they don’t have more bass than the 800s, I’m selling them

Ananda clearly have more bass than 800S under 50 Hz. But 800S has much more definition, well wider (and more normal shape too) sound stage and better tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back