1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan Ananda BT - Biggest, Baddest, Bluetooth Headphones

First

Back
1 2 3
5 6
Next

Last
  1. VandyMan
    Turns out that the HiBy R6 Pro does not support playback on USB, so that one is not the Ananda's fault.

2. jkteddy77
    I just got wired Ananda's, and as a kickstarter for the Audeze Mobius, I'm now tempted to return my wired version for the BT version.

My main concern however is that fact that without any 3.5mm analog out, there really isn't a possibility for external Amp/DAC use is there? That is one part that the Mobius did better allowing external amplification (albeit through double-amping, so still not recommended) through 3.5mm out.
    I don't want to use the BT version's internal DAC if my JDS Labs Element is able to power and open up the soundstage and imaging of the Wired version better. That said, this BT does apparently use a similar or the same DAP as the R2R 2000 player, but I can't gauge how that R2R ladder DAC sounds personally or its specs.
    I wish they made an Ananda 2-in-1 so both options were available in one headset...

Let me know what you would do in my situation, I'm itching for advice.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. VandyMan
    I don't have a wired Ananda to compare, but I can tell you that the Ananda BT does not have an analog input. So forget about using an external amp/DAC.

4. ra990

5. Duncan Moderator
    I received a review pair of the Ananda BT today, I'm going to settle myself into the sound, and report back accordingly :)

6. Duncan Moderator
    Quick couple of bulleted points from me after 36hrs before I head out of the door.

First off, as noted in my initial post - the pair I have here are a review pair - not a purchased pair, however - my words below are my own.

Without doubt the best BT headphones I've ever heard, regardless of codec (tried SBC, AptX and LDAC) - the power and grace (especially in the mids) that the Ananda BT bring to the table is unreal - in BT mode they're making me re-evaluate some of my other equipment - the richness of the mids makes vocals sound so intimate, treble is smooth as you'd like, and bass is there when it should be - soundstage isn't the absolute best I've heard, but is up there with the top tier..

USB connection, for me - is a little flat (I suppose I should swap out "flat" for "reference"), definitely different sounding to the BT connection, although this caters for both ends of the sonic scale - for those that find the BT too energetic, the USB will be right on the money I'm sure.

If you like your volume up high, the BT connection goes louder than USB.

BT range seems to be great, as these are open (home) 'phones - I won't try my torture test of standing by traffic lights in the middle of London.

The HIFIMAN App (on Android) appears buggy - whether or not I use :LDAC as my connection to the phone, the app makes music stutter (whether 16/44 or higher) - all other music apps I have are fine - presume there will be an app update soon.

Good to see (via the app) the possibility for updating the BT Firmware - hopefully future proofing for new formats is a possibility

...these are the most exciting over-ears that I've heard for a couple of years, which in its own way annoys be, being an IEM person, although I should consider with them being BT and USB, I don't need to worry about amplification etc.

I'm quite sure that my initial impressions are terribly constructed, so - if anyone has any questions whilst deciding on whether to pick up a pair or not (do so!), or waiting for their pair to arrive - drop them below, and I'll respond when I can :)

ra990 and elctrokrdiogrm like this.
  7. samuraivoodoo
    intrigued by this new phenom of audiophile wireless headphones

8. Duncan Moderator
    They sure do! Do you prefer BT our usb?

Dobrescu George likes this.
  9. Dobrescu George
    I haven't figured out USB yet, only used them with BT so far, and man, they are an amazing headphone. I was afraid they'd have low volume or distortions, most BT headphones are not good enough for a 1K USD price mark, but HIFIMAN really nailed the sound, both in control and volume (they get loud enough) with this one

Now I only have to figure out how to get the USB mode to work, I thought that cable was only for charging :darthsmile:

10. Duncan Moderator
    plug in the usb cable whilst they are on, when the light turns white, you're golden

11. VandyMan
    Good sound, but the controls stink. I keep forgetting to press the charge button.

12. Dobrescu George
    Oh yes, that is a bit of an issue...

VandyMan likes this.
  13. VandyMan
    I'm hoping they can correct that (and also the flashing led) with a firmware update. The designers should spend a few days using the Sony wh1000xm3, including the app with EQ, and then they would understand the shortcomings of the Ananda-BT controls. That said, despite the annoyances, I still like the A-BT quite a lot.

14. VandyMan
    What kind of battery life are people getting? I think I'm getting about 8 instead of the advertised 10. (BTW, the original brochure said 13.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6
Next

Last