HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Jun 29, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,189 of 1,195

Quote:
HE-4 gets lots of bass from the 602

I'm really starting to enjoy my 602 & I've decided to add the HE-4 to the mix. I'm using my Zen Head portable amp w/ my 602 w/ my Denon AH-D5000 phones . I'm not dissatisfied with this combo. It's very decent sounding, but when I listen to speakers I listen to Magneplanars. Due to my current work schedule I haven't been able to spend much "quality time" listening to my "Maggies". I can listen to planars portably? I will find a way to make them work, regardless of the "naysayers". If need be I'll add a more powerful amp. (Hey, a couple years ago I questioned why someone could'nt reverse engineer a portable product that could do what the Wadia Ipod dock could do. Take the digital signal from an Ipod so that a "real" dac could be used not the "indescriminate" dacs the "computer" company executives deemed "good enough for Ipod". Guess what ? It appears someone engineered this product finally! , but those of us who are'nt keen on waiting , went out & found DAPs made by companies who actually knew something about making players that were capable of better than typical MP3 sound. I cringe every time I even hear the term MP3, Oh well enough of this...) Hmmm... "portable Maggies" (or an appoximation of such, at least!)  I want them !

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,192 of 1,195

Quote:
So what?! I should buy Beyer T1?!

The T1 is a 600Ω headphone. I don't think that you will yield the best results out of the Beyers that you can get without a powerful amp, be it portable or desktop.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,193 of 1,195
You are right. I forgot this though I already knew. I discovered before that T1 are power-hungry - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483027/beyerdynamic-t1-mid-fi-gear.

Well, I tried HM-602 with Beyer T50p, supraural portable Tesla.Very nice mids, bass is lacking depth. I read this is a "feature" of T50p, though I bet HM-602 took its part here. Summary: interesting, but not better than HM-602 > HD650.

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,194 of 1,195
I'm currently listening to an Egon Wellesz symphony(from a CPO cd, very nicely recorded, Naxos should require their engineers to learn from the CPO production team, it could help them with their tendency to produce very mediocre sounding orchestral recordings!) through my HM-602/ HE-4s/Zen Head portable amp. As I mentioned it is a nice recording w/ lots of nice apparent hall ambience & sounstage information. If I had to pick an area to criticize it would be the mid frenquency sound are a bit recessed. I've read that this is a common trait of the HE-4s when new & basically unbroken in (I have less than 20hrs of play time on them including 2 or 3 full Purist Audio Designs burn in CD cycles) . Bass is tight & punchy & fairly well extended. The treble is pleasing with nice detail & sparkle. All in all you can tell you are listening to full range uncompressed recordings & not the MP3 versions of such. I've gone inside my Zen Head amp & tried different setting w/ the internal switches, The current setting that seem to work best for the time being are these. The input switch is set to 10k, crossfeed switch is on (crossfeed done correctly,& I believe very tastefully in this amp, sounds much more realistic to me) & the gain switch is set to high. There is absolutely room for improvement (more midrange prominence/extension), but I'm pretty pleased w/ the sound I'm getting. I won't even give this set-up a backhanded compliment by saying "very decent for a portable set-up", because I know there are many people listening to home mid fi systems that are'nt as good sounding as this (but I also realize that my "portable rig" may be more expensive than what their home rig expense was(What was I getting to ?, who knows,I'm a crazed audiophile) .  

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #1,195 of 1,195
I wonder if anyone here can help me? I have a HM 602 firmware v.12 and my main computer is a Mac Mini running OSX 10.8.4 and I can't get the DAC to work. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Have they got it working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back