HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #361 of 1,195

Quote:
As I thought the line out is unaffected by changing gain which makes sense. I noticed it says "music" in the left top corner. I'm assuming if a video was stored on the player it could be recognized as a movie but obviously unable to be played.

Same thing with unrecognizable file formats. I downloaded a alac file (I knew it wouldn't work, but wanted to see what happened) and a 88 khtz file from Chesky, and it cycles through all of the songs endlessly, over and over, but doesn't declare a fault or lockup. As long as it doesn't lock up, I'm happy. I am so shell-shocked from "re-boot-itis" from my Dell Latitude 620 for work that the color blue is no longer appealing to me anymore 
smile.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #362 of 1,195
immtbiker how long did it take for yours to fully recharge? I assume the battery indicator stops blinking when its recharged? I would like to listen to mine before I go to sleep and its currently still recharging. 
happy_face1.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #363 of 1,195
My 602 arrived yesterday, and overall I'm happy. Time will tell exactly how happy, but my initial impressions:

Warm. Dark. I like warm and dark!
Works with my Mac
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't navigate by file structure, only by tag data
frown.gif

No problems with 32GB SD card
Feels oddly light and empty! I want to open it up and see what's going on in there!
Slightly smaller than I imagined. Definitely pocketable.

More soon.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #366 of 1,195

Quote:

I can't talk about battery life yet, because as with all new Lithiums, it takes a couple of full cycles to maximize battery life on new components. The changeover to a 5 volt lightweight charger is a blessing, but let's not forget that the 1704 DAC consumes a huge amount of power and calls for a much larger battery. I would have liked to see a micro SD port for charging, so while traveling, I wouldn't have to use a separate charger, and just recharged off of my laptop. 

Aaron, it does charge thru its USB/Exchange mini-USB port, when connected to a laptop.  Maybe not as fast as from its own charger but it does charge, nonetheless.

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #370 of 1,195

Quote:
immtbiker how long did it take for yours to fully recharge? I assume the battery indicator stops blinking when its recharged? I would like to listen to mine before I go to sleep and its currently still recharging. 
happy_face1.gif

I'm not sure. I left it plugged in overnight. Sorry.

Quote:
Aaron, it does charge thru its USB/Exchange mini-USB port, when connected to a laptop.  Maybe not as fast as from its own charger but it does charge, nonetheless.

I did not know that. Thanks for the great intel. That helps me on 3 day business trips involving hotel stays.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #371 of 1,195
In 2 hours the battery charged by half. I then went to bed so I disconnected 602 from power. Ofc I did some listening in bed with it before I fell asleep for sweeter dreams.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #372 of 1,195

Quote:
In 2 hours the battery charged by half. I then went to bed so I disconnected 602 from power. Ofc I did some listening in bed with it before I fell asleep for sweeter dreams.
smile_phones.gif

"Half" could be misleading.  I was watching the discharge pattern during my initial rundown.  It went down to "Half" in about 2.5 hours and then stayed on it for the next 3, so the battery indicator does not change in a linear fashion.  This is no big deal, probably a bug in the code that calculates the bars based on actual remaining charge in the battery.

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #374 of 1,195

I take that back actually. You can navigate by file structure (sort of) by manually adding "Flash On Board" to the main menu yourself. It's not there by default. A user manual might have helped me discover this sooner!

Does anyone know where I need to put pictures and what to name them if I want to use the two User Wallpaper settings? No big deal, but it would be nice to know.

I haven't really had enough time with this thing yet to form a full opinion, but it's been pretty obvious from minute one that this thing sounds absolutely fantastic. I've been checking out some 24 bit vinyl rips this afternoon and can't wipe the idiotic smile from my face...

Quote:

If it's impossible to navigate by file structure, how do we play .wav files?

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #375 of 1,195

Quote:
I also noticed that problem where not all my music was shown under "albums". Under artists everything was there but I was unable to select to play all songs, only songs from specific artists. However going into "settings" menu" and enabling "show flash on board" made all albums visible. 

Quote:
I take that back actually. You can navigate by file structure (sort of) by manually adding "Flash On Board" to the main menu yourself. It's not there by default. A user manual might have helped me discover this sooner!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back