HIFIMAN’s Lucky Upgrade Opportunity
Sep 30, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #91 of 174
Dear Head-fi'ers,
Sorry for the late reply.
We will release September‘s list of lucky upgrade (3 for HEK V2, 3 for EDX V2) within 5 days due to Chinese national holiday.
Besides,in October, the free update for EDX V2's activity would be terminated. Sorry for that.
We will continue to select another 3 for upgrading HEK V2 next month.
Thank you for your great support in HIFIMAN.
Have a nice weekend.

Your friend
HIFIMAN Customer Service

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 3, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #92 of 174
I just got my V2s, posted some initial impressions over here.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/816026/breaking-news-he1000-v2/255#post_12908471

@Toolman
 Love the Utopia way more over both V1 and V2.

I had an opportunity to listen to the Utopias at the semi-recent SF Meetup and found them to be lacking for me.  A bit sterile would be the way I would describe them.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #94 of 174
  Dear Head-fi'ers,
Sorry for the late reply.
We will release September‘s list of lucky upgrade (3 for HEK V2, 3 for EDX V2) within 5 days due to Chinese national holiday.

Your friend
HIFIMAN Customer Service

It has gone 5 days and 17 hours since you wrote that. Time to say the truth...

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #95 of 174
What holiday was it?
I know it can't be new year's,
but when national holidays happen, all crap hits the fan with total stop and start up, lol
Happened to me with a month delay on my Chinese amp build purchase.

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #96 of 174
I love the new v2 hex and the v2 he1000's!! I will update my review soon once I get a little more time with the he1000v2. 'My personal take on hifiman lowering their price is welcomed. I know I paid 1799 for the hex, but their adjustments are reasonable! And quite competitive. I am happy to have had a v1 and had it before most people, yet I see I paid for some of the r&D maybe. I'm not too concerned as hifimans customer service has always been quite good!

Now the shangri la... that's a real amazing piece of gear... :) wow!!!!

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #97 of 174
Hi head-fi'ers,
Sorry for the late reply due to long holiday.
Now it is time to select those 6 lucky people of last month! (3 for HE1000 V2 and 3 for Edition X V2)

3 winners for HE1000 V2 are
@gto88  @fallofdave @MattTCG
3 winners for Edition X V2 are
@punit @rmacaisa @onlychild

We will send email to you and just tell us your address and phone number. Then we will arrange the shipment for you. After receiving the new set and finish the comparison, please be kind to send the old version of HE1000 back to us. Thank you for your cooperation.

We feel sorry that the update activity of EDX V2 has been terminated. But HEK V2 will continue,
Besides, we will release the upgrade service in this month. Please pay attention to us.
Enjoy a lovely day~

Your friend,
Hifiman Customer service

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 9, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #99 of 174
It is a bit confusing that no one  writes how new one sounds in comparison to old one...
Or I'm missing here something? Are you posting it somewhere else?

For me the HE1000 is one of the best sounding Headphones on the market... I maybe would wish a bit more smoothness in treble,
othervice I'm already now happy with the sound.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #102 of 174
After getting some hands on time with the new X v2 I'm very happy with the upgrade over v1. The can itself is just more solid overall with the metal yokes and I like the new color more than the old model. It now feels and looks like what one would expect for a headphone in its price class. The additional height adjustments are welcome but I was fine with the first model. The new pads are more comfy, thicker, and seam like they wont get as toasty on the head during long listening sessions compared with the v1 pads. The new cables are nice but rubbery and I actually kinda prefer the old paracord style cable from v1. I don't feel that sound signature has changed too much between models. To me it sounds like a very very slight improvement in detail and slightly more open sounding. Overall it's a great update to an already impressive headphone. I also got a chance to listen to the 1000 v2 at RMAF and I think that's a more substantial update moving to the v2 based on my limited show floor use of it. The loss of weight is noticed and much appreciated.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #103 of 174
Thanks HIHIMAN team, you just made my day.
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #104 of 174
HiFiman Edition X V2 thoughts and V1 comparisons

Build Quality

Immediately handling the new V2's that HiFiman provided me with I notice they feel like headphones at this price point should be: solid. The much maligned plastic yokes are gone, replaced by solid metal ones. From day one this was personally my biggest complaint about the V1's, so I'm very glad to see it's been corrected. The headband assembly has also been slightly altered, allowing more adjustment for a larger range of head sizes. My head is on the smaller size, so for example on the original V1's I had the slider at the base position. On the new V2's I have them set at the second notch. Also gone from the V2's is the purple/blue chrome finish that adorned the V1 cups. I was initially disappointed with the change, but I now prefer the black w/metal flake cups on the V2. To me they look a little more respectable and fit with the overall tone of the headphone. I also noticed the cup size is larger in thickness, albeit only by a very small amount.

Also new on the V2 are angled pads, which provide slight more room for bigger ears and increased comfort. That being said, I personally didn't have many issues with the V1 pads, although they could get a little warm. The V2 pads now use Polyester on the inside of the pads, which are far more breathable than the previous Velour. I've always found the V1's to be one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn, but the new pads improve on that  even further. 

Lastly HiFiman has changed the two stock cables (1/8th and 1/4th terminated) most noticeably to a clear silicon casing. Unfortunately the new cables are very springy and energetic compared to the previous paracord covered cables. Not a huge deal, but I mostly use the HEX for semi-portable use and it can be annoying having the cable bounce around. The terminated end of the 1/8th cable has also been upgraded to a quality metal housings as opposed the plastic one from the V1 cable. The 1/8th V2 cable has also been terminated with the same sturdy Neutrik connector that the V1 used.

Packaging is the exact same as the V1 with the exception of an updated V2 Owners Guide.

Sound Quality

The original V1's were always a very good sounding headphone to me. Great soundstage/imaging, excellent detail retrieval, solid bass response, fantastic mids and an extended but relaxed treble profile. That along with being very comfortable to wear, I could listen to the V1's for multiple-hour long sessions. The V2's use the same drivers as the V1's and sound ever bit as good as the originals, but better. Most notable the angled pads seem to help with the overall clarity and help slightly increase the soundstage. The bass also seems slightly more controlled, which is probably a byproduct of the increased spacing of the angled pads. Also improving the sound is the new stock cables, although not as significant as the new pads. I'm not sure internally what's changed in the new cables (perhaps more silver used?), but they seem to yield a slightly more detailed and refined sound. Upon doing some A/B testing with the previous V1 cables, I found the V1's to be warmer and bassier than the V2 cables, but not as resolving.

Final Thoughts

The V2's are a very well thought out and implemented improvement by the team at HiFiman. It's good to know that there are companies out there who listen to the end consumers complaints and make adjustments to improve their products. Along with the V2 changes and the new $1299 price point, that puts the Edition X V2 as a very competitive entry into it's price bracket. Their ability to be easily driven out of most any device continues to be one of the HEX's biggest strengths. Couple that with the new build quality and already fantastic sound signature and you've got a very impressive pair of headphones.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #105 of 174
The comparison opportunity really makes this good as I'd also have a Moon Audio premium silver dragon cable I'd like to compare as well on both.  Still interested in hearing comparisons/reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back