Hifidiy mini usb DAC/headphone amp for Senn HD555?
Nov 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stwert

New Head-Fier
Hi,
New here to the forums and also to "audiophile" equipment. I recently purchased some Sennheiser HD555 headphones which I'm really enjoying. However, I'm running them off my on-board soundcard on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard so I don't think I'm using their full potential.

Considered a sound card, but I thought that a DAC/headphone amp combo would make the most sense for the future, considering I may upgrade my computer and/or headphones so I just want a box that will play nice with a good many setups, without having to buy another dedicated amp or something.

Looked at a few options like the iBasso d10 cobra and the audio-gd compass, but they're a bit out of my price range, ideally < $200 CA. Then I was directed to the Hifidiy aune mini usb dac mk2, which seems like a great solution. I was a little confused by the fact that it only seems to be sold on ebay, but I guess that's a normal situation? Anyway, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on whether this last one is a good choice for me (seems to be). Sorry it's a bit of a long post for a simple question, but I understand that it's good to have some specifics rather than the ubiquitous "HELP... want a good dac, which one???" query.

So, budget: <$200, source: i7 computer, phones: Senn HD555, portability: not necessary, drive better phones: if possible, experience: little

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 4

nkk

500+ Head-Fier
I cannot comment on the aune, but I would like to say that if you expect great gains, you are going to be disappointed. The HD555 is not a phone that needs to be amped. It gains a little, but nothing like the HD600.

Do not let this stop you. You will without fail progress to better phones, and you will need an amp then, and it will make a bigger difference.

Nkk

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 4

stwert

New Head-Fier
Thanks for the comments. I was aware of the fact that the HD555's don't really need to be amped, but wouldn't the DAC part make a large difference over on-board sound?

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 4

Lazerboy2000

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a big thread about the AUNE amp/DAC. It has gotten excellent reviews and is top on my wishlist. I think the Aune would definitely improve the sound out of your computer and the amp, although not necessary, is nice. From what I've heard about the Aune, you can't go wrong with it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/hif...ne-amp-407756/

Users who are viewing this thread