HiFiBerry?
Jun 5, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 6
Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I have a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro that I've been using intermittently for the last few years. Sounds pretty good to my ear, but a major downside is that the oscillator crystals interfere with the built-in wifi on the RPi3, so I have to use it wired directly to the router. You can also use a USB WiFi adapter with a USB extension cable. I don't know if they ever fixed that issue, but the models that don't have the reclocking oscillators (non-Pro version) didn't have the same problem.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Tried Pi2AES, etc.. and was very inconvenient for not really noticeable improvements. I'll stick with PC and it's nice interface. I wouldn't even bother.

Found out streamers are not worth it.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 6
I like it because I can 1) stream Spotify directly from my phone to my Volumio RPi using Spotify Connect; 2) don't have to have a computer in front of me in order to listen to music; 3) no longer have to have my CD collection and CD player out collecting dust; 4) probably other reasons.

I forgot to mention that I also use an Allo Kali + Piano that also works well and doesn't have the weird WiFi issues. But it is much larger than the HiFiBerry (larger being relative, of course) and it lights up like a freakin' Christmas tree, so I keep it in a cupboard where I don't have to look at it.

Of course, some of the setup and keeping it running can be a major hassle, but it's been pretty stable for a while now.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 6
I've been playing around with a Raspberry pi 3 and Volumio the last week or so. I'm not using a Pi Hat because I had a few usb DAC's laying around. It seems to work with about any dac I have tried and easily detects them. I really like it and will make a nice on/offline music server at the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back