HiFi store in Chicago?
Nov 25, 2006 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sjpetry

Head-Fier
I am looking for an audio store where I can audition high end headphones by Senn and AKG. Does anyone know of a store like in this in the Chicago/Northwest Indiana area? I searched the forum, but the last thread like this was from 2004. Thanks in advance.

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 7
For headphones, Music Direct is the place to go. But talk about sorry for your wallet!

Music Direct is primarily a catalog operation, and their "store" is a non-descript warehouse in an industrial area just off downtown Chicago. I have been there dozens of times, and love going there, but they essentially allow people to visit there warehouse - it's not a store in the traditional sense.

That said, they have all kinds of headphones and amps, and they would likely let you try them out.

The other great thing about Music Direct is that you generally won't find a better price.

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 7
Just what I've been looking for.
biggrin.gif

Thanks fellas.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For headphones, Music Direct is the place to go. But talk about sorry for your wallet!

Music Direct is primarily a catalog operation, and their "store" is a non-descript warehouse in an industrial area just off downtown Chicago. I have been there dozens of times, and love going there, but they essentially allow people to visit there warehouse - it's not a store in the traditional sense.

That said, they have all kinds of headphones and amps, and they would likely let you try them out.

The other great thing about Music Direct is that you generally won't find a better price.

Sorry about reviving an oldie but goody, but...

I'm currently in Chicago, on business out of Guam and I needed to find a headphone shop that I could audition some cans that I've never had the privilege of hearing.

Well, I went to Music Direct and sure enough, as Skylab mentioned up above ^^^, great group of guys, very informative and helpful, but not a headphone auditioning place. However, the staff was very warm and welcoming, as well as very helpful in digging up Ray Samuels information an calling him to set me up with an audition of his balanced R10/HD 800s!
beerchug.gif

Ray, who as everyone knows, just returned from CanJam09 and still has all his gears (B52/Apache/etc.) in boxes, but being the marvel that he is, he invited me over for a listen anyways.

Ray, his son and staff---Class Acts, to say the least!

I punched the digits into my Garmin and got there, got a tour of where he makes the magic happen, in addition, I was able to get a listen to his incredible speaker rig (Meridian G08, A10 (case less) pre-outs, feeding some massive balanced amps, to a pair of speakers (forget their names). After which, I heard the balanced R10/HD 800s back-to-back (track 7 Barbara Wilson, I believe her name was). My listening session was very brief, as, I was only able to hear them on a couple of songs (one for the R10 and (2) for the HD 800); however, the R10 (King) quickly showed me why everyone is so goo-goo-ga-ga over them! They are magical unlike anything I've ever heard, sans Rays speaker rig. I'd love to get an extended listen with a pair to test them out on other genres.

The trip was there was awesome! Skylab beat me there by a day otherwise I would have gotten the chance to listen to a couple of other greats, the 90/Jades fed by Ray's burned in A10..
angry_face.gif
That was a blessing in disguise, I suppose, as my ears may have OD'd if they were as good or better than the R10s.
wink.gif

Much more good times (HD 600's, etc.); just wanted to stop in and congratulate Music Direct/Ray, his family and staff, for showing some love to an average Joe!

Thanks Music Direct/Raymond!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back