Hifi-express.com Experience (bad)
Feb 3, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 27

reddeath

New Head-Fier
Destination country post, number UH040093204BE
Please be patient and pay attention to the update of express information. Already operating locally in Denmark. Thank you.
2021-02-02 04:44 Item is ready for transport

目的国丹麦-Denmark
发件国
2021-02-02 04:44Item is ready for transport
2021-02-02 03:44Item is announced / bpost received the information
2021-01-29 11:09Last mile=> Destination country post, number UH040093204BE

SMSL Mandy, can you tell me in which country my package is at the moment? Will it be subject to customs upon entering to Denmark? If yes, will you refund the cost of import duties? I think it is only fair, since I ordered M500 to be delivered from European Union (EU) and within EU there are no additional import costs.

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #17 of 27

Paulo83

100+ Head-Fier
SMSL Mandy, can you tell me in which country my package is at the moment? Will it be subject to customs upon entering to Denmark? If yes, will you refund the cost of import duties? I think it is only fair, since I ordered M500 to be delivered from European Union (EU) and within EU there are no additional import costs.

If they have done the same on your order as mine they will have under declared the package value to get around customs charges. This is not only tax fraud but it means the package is not insured at all during shipping. Good luck claiming compensation if anything goes wrong.

A very shady operation for sure.

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 27

Dirtyblvd

New Head-Fier
HI Reddeath, I finally received the item I ordered. The Package is from Amazon (??) , no customs nor VAT....
Like you, they never answered to my questions...but I got the item. Hope the same for you.
Anayway not a serious seller...

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 27

reddeath

New Head-Fier
Latest update on my order, based on a website I found that can aggregate tracking information:

Origin: China
Destination: Denmark
2 shipping companies involved: a Chinese one and bpost (not clear if from Belgium or Hong Kong)
Package has now been for 2 days with status: "Arrival at export hub", in an unknown country
Days in transit: 9

Still no official statement from hifi-express.com if package will be subject to customs in Denmark.

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #21 of 27

Paulo83

100+ Head-Fier
Still no sign of the package. 16 days in transit.
I worry that the DAC can get broken in transport storage with current temperatures of up to -15 degrees in Denmark.

Did you take it up with your credit card company?

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #22 of 27

reddeath

New Head-Fier
Did you take it up with your credit card company?

Not yet. After the package got some tracking events by bpost, I assumed that it will eventually arrive.
The latest status is from 5 days ago, supposedly it was handed over to the local post company. However, there is nothing registered by PostNord. If it ended up in customs, it will take weeks before I can get it and then I have to pay at least 25% on top.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #23 of 27

reddeath

New Head-Fier
After 20 days in transit, the package arrived. It was deliver by the cheapest local method of delivery in PostNord - a postman driving around on a bicycle trolley. So, no weather/temperature protection and we are in middle of the winter now.

My first impression: I got a used SMSL M500 !

I was making pictures when opening the box. The paper manual is dirty and torn in one place inside. The USB cable does not look like it was folded in a factory. The unit was not neatly wrapped in a foil bag, as I would expect it to be done in a factory. The orientation of the unit was in the opposite way comparing to the foam cut outs (and opposite to what can be seen in the youtube unboxing by z reviews). The power button was set to "On" position. The foam in the box is torn on one side, possibly because the box was shaken a lot and the wrong orientation of the DAC allowed it to move to break the foam.

The unit felt totally frozen after opening, so now I am waiting for it to warm up before I plug it in. There was no silica get in the box. So, still not sure if it even works.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #24 of 27

reddeath

New Head-Fier
After several hours of warming up, I started up the newly received M500. It works. Great. Checking out the system version, it is not the latest. The latest reported version of the software, at least 4 months ago, is 1.7. I got 1.6. That kind of confirms that this is a used, perhaps refurbished product. I am a bit disappointed.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 27

Paulo83

100+ Head-Fier
After several hours of warming up, I started up the newly received M500. It works. Great. Checking out the system version, it is not the latest. The latest reported version of the software, at least 4 months ago, is 1.7. I got 1.6. That kind of confirms that this is a used, perhaps refurbished product. I am a bit disappointed.
Sorry to hear this but can't say I'm surprised really. Have you asked about a refund/exchange at all?

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #26 of 27

reddeath

New Head-Fier
Sorry to hear this but can't say I'm surprised really. Have you asked about a refund/exchange at all?

Do you think that SMSL Mandy would admit that "yes, we sent you a product that someone returned to us earlier" and "we can send you a really new one instead" and "here is a free shipping label to send the used one to us" and "this time we really going to send it from EU so you don't have to wait 3 weeks" ? I somehow doubt that.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #27 of 27

Paulo83

100+ Head-Fier
Do you think that SMSL Mandy would admit that "yes, we sent you a product that someone returned to us earlier" and "we can send you a really new one instead" and "here is a free shipping label to send the used one to us" and "this time we really going to send it from EU so you don't have to wait 3 weeks" ? I somehow doubt that.

Absolutely not, but I have not experienced their returns policy so am curious if it is as bad as the rest of the experience I've had. I think they state 7 day returns, which actually might be illegal in the UK but just wondering what they said to you. Have you complained?

Users who are viewing this thread