Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Jul 24, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #586 of 862
Totally with you regarding different ears for different peers. However I am really curious as to how you find the HD650 fatiguing. I’ve never heard anyone come away from the can with that impression. Too dark, sure. Veiled (particularly the older version), absolutely. Muddy, lack of detail, rolled off treble, not enough bass, etc. etc. etc... But I’ve never heard fatiguing. When I think of listening fatigue, I think of shoutiness in the upper mids, shrill piercing highs, or booming bass... Sound qualities the HD650 measurably lacks. Forgetting everyone’s ears for a second, on paper the HD650 is just smooth easy listening. What aspect of the sound is fatiguing for you? Please don’t think I’m defending the HD650 at all, it may be one of my all-time favorites, but I did sell it when I got the Clear. So I’m not fanboying out over here or attacking your opinion, ha ha. I’m just genuinely curious...

I think the mystery is our different interpretation of "listening fatigue". I've always considered it to be when one can't stand listening to a pair of headphones/IEM's for a longer time for some reason (too shouty, bassy whatever). The lack of deep bass and trebe extension is what causes this for me with the HD650. I actually like the HD58X better for my personal preference.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #587 of 862
Just a little comment regarding Huawei smartphones and connectivity with the Sonata: just bought a new Mate 20 Pro. Great phone. Firmware D works when it does, but sometimes, when changing apps, i.e. when going from YouTube to Spotify or to Hiby, it disconnects and I have to unplug it and plug it back again. In firmware A, it works flawlessly and even admits phone calls and mic button commands. The sound quality is not as refined in A mode though... still million miles ahead of the analogue dongle!

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #588 of 862
What's the difference between A/C firmware? I know A is Call priority and C is sound priority but that's not saying a whole lot......

How difference is the sound quality between A and C?

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #589 of 862
What's the difference between A/C firmware? I know A is Call priority and C is sound priority but that's not saying a whole lot......

How difference is the sound quality between A and C?

When I tried those firmwares in a PC, I had to use the A firmware to get both audio and mic to work together. Otherwise, it would enable just sound and the mic would not work if sound was being played back.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #591 of 862
What is the difference between Sonata HD II, S1 and S3?

I'm guessing the S1 and S3 are new models that aren't available yet. The S1 is $20, so it would be a lower end product, the S3 is $60 so it looks like it may be a newer and better version of the Sonata HDII.

I'm still absolutely loving my Sonata HDII with USB Audio Player Pro with Morphit set to the Harman OE target with my HD650. The Harmon target fills in the sub bass, and makes the top end sound a whole lot more lively. I don't listen very loudly so the Sonata HDII has plenty of power for me. I usually listen between -20 to -12db with the software volume control so there is still plenty of power to spare.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #592 of 862
I'm guessing the S1 and S3 are new models that aren't available yet. The S1 is $20, so it would be a lower end product, the S3 is $60 so it looks like it may be a newer and better version of the Sonata HDII.

I'm still absolutely loving my Sonata HDII with USB Audio Player Pro with Morphit set to the Harman OE target with my HD650. The Harmon target fills in the sub bass, and makes the top end sound a whole lot more lively. I don't listen very loudly so the Sonata HDII has plenty of power for me. I usually listen between -20 to -12db with the software volume control so there is still plenty of power to spare.

Maybe S3 is the same thing as Sonata with an upgraded cable?

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #593 of 862

Maybe. The cable on my HDII is still holding up fine, it looks thin and weak, but it's been fine. I'm super easy on things though, and it never goes in my pocket. I use it with my phone and I'll only use it sitting in a recliner with it sitting on my lap. So it's never been tugged on or anything. If I want something truly portable I use my Sony WH-1000XM2 or my Galaxy Buds. The XM2 I also EQ to the Harmon target, and the Galaxy Buds were designed to follow the Harman IE target. So I get the same basic sound everywhere.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #594 of 862
Maybe. The cable on my HDII is still holding up fine, it looks thin and weak, but it's been fine. I'm super easy on things though, and it never goes in my pocket. I use it with my phone and I'll only use it sitting in a recliner with it sitting on my lap. So it's never been tugged on or anything. If I want something truly portable I use my Sony WH-1000XM2 or my Galaxy Buds. The XM2 I also EQ to the Harmon target, and the Galaxy Buds were designed to follow the Harman IE target. So I get the same basic sound everywhere.
The S3 has a completely different DAC, so it's going to be a totally new product with a new sound. Let's wait for the first to be tested...

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #595 of 862

When I said "upgraded cable", I didn't necessarily mean something more durable, but something more "audiophile", like silver.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #596 of 862
The S3 has a completely different DAC, so it's going to be a totally new product with a new sound. Let's wait for the first to be tested...

Am interested, and also interested in the new ibasso dc01 and dc02. I probably won't try either since I'm very happy with the HDII and don't feel that I'm missing anything. I'm still kind of blown away at what the HDII does for the $26 I paid for it.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #600 of 862

Users who are viewing this thread

Back