Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Jan 14, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #301 of 862
Purchased this during the holiday season for around $25 and have been enjoying them with my 1more triple driver over ears. But, even with pure music FW flashed, Poweramp shows that my Pixel 2 XL limits the sample rate to 48kHz! Is this a known issue with Pixel 2 XL or does it have something to do with the Sonata HD that I received? Any advice would be helpful.

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #302 of 862
Purchased this during the holiday season for around $25 and have been enjoying them with my 1more triple driver over ears. But, even with pure music FW flashed, Poweramp shows that my Pixel 2 XL limits the sample rate to 48kHz! Is this a known issue with Pixel 2 XL or does it have something to do with the Sonata HD that I received? Any advice would be helpful.

I'm using Pixel 2 XL and have no issues. I believe it is more of a Poweramp issue. I switched to Neutron player because of previous issues with the Pixel dongle that only Neutron could get around (the max hardware gain issue) and now it's doing great with the Sonata, all the way up to 96kHz.
I could even squeeze more power and quality out of the Sonata if I use the same trick that was used on the Pixel dongle.
Try Neutron player trial and see if it works since it free

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #303 of 862
Quick question:

Does this thing have any latency issues when used with either phone or PC in any of the firmwares? Wondering how usable it is to watch videos...

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #305 of 862
No delay. Get this thing, it sounds better then the oppo ha2 and es100 which I owned.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #306 of 862
I'm using Pixel 2 XL and have no issues. I believe it is more of a Poweramp issue. I switched to Neutron player because of previous issues with the Pixel dongle that only Neutron could get around (the max hardware gain issue) and now it's doing great with the Sonata, all the way up to 96kHz.
I could even squeeze more power and quality out of the Sonata if I use the same trick that was used on the Pixel dongle.
Try Neutron player trial and see if it works since it free
I did try neutron and even that detects the audio hardware supporting frequency of 44100 Hz. I know that I can manually set it in the frequency option which is separate. But my question remains the same, why does pixel show supported freq of 44.1kHz. (For reference, I checked with my friend's OnePlus 3T and it shows 96kHz)

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #307 of 862
What version of Poweramp are you using if I may ask. If its not version 3, get that from the google playstore as it is the version supporting high res output up to 192khz, although I think it is only currently available as a beta app, I've been using it a while now without any issues. Just get it and go to "settings" > "audio" > "output", then select " high res output", click on the settings icon there and select desired sample rate.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #308 of 862
I haven't noticed any so far (?)

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried watching a movie using the Shanling M0 on a laptop but the latency was horrific. Never again. Looking at this for general casual laptop use.

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #309 of 862
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried watching a movie using the Shanling M0 on a laptop but the latency was horrific. Never again. Looking at this for general casual laptop use.

I see... I haven't noticed any serious delays with Sonata HD DAC. Maybe someone else can chime in, if they used it more for videos and gaming :)

@IryxBRO Have you tested it?

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #310 of 862

It works great for that purpose, just flash the pure music firmware then set to 24bit/192khz in Windows audio settings and you're good to go.

I even use it as my audio output for games and this DAC has some good positional cues as well. No delay or lag. Apparently there's also ASIO drivers that work with this DAC but I found them to be lagging out my animations in Foobar.

The only niggly thing I found is that if you leave it plugged in and turn your laptop off, when you turn it back on again you'll have to unplug the DAC and plug it back in. Otherwise Windows won't put the sound through it. It's not a biggie for me, but I can see how this might annoy someone else.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #313 of 862
Thanks for all the input.

Awww shucks... It looks like I have to buy ANOTHER dac! I might have to start selling some of these things before too long because it's starting to pile up a bit. Damn me and this hobby, lol.

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #314 of 862
I have a xDuoo X3 (Rockboxed) and am quite intrigued by this little device, the Sonata.
Would you advise me to buy it to add to my Pocophone F1?
I'm not sure my xDuoo X3 does all the 24bit 192kHz things right, as much I've read about what's on paper about the thing, and what's really put through (by Rockbox).
Like to hear your advice.. a no brainer (for the money, 20USD)?

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #315 of 862
I have a xDuoo X3 (Rockboxed) and am quite intrigued by this little device, the Sonata.
Would you advise me to buy it to add to my Pocophone F1?
I'm not sure my xDuoo X3 does all the 24bit 192kHz things right, as much I've read about what's on paper about the thing, and what's really put through (by Rockbox).
Like to hear your advice.. a no brainer (for the money, 20USD)?

It's a no brainer if you have a specific use in mind, sure.

It should work out of the box without any issues with the Poco F1, but then if you want higher res you will have to flash the pure music firmware. Be aware if you do that then you'll loose the capability of using the headset mic for calls and such.

I'm not sure how it would compare to the xDuoo tbh, never owned one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back