Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Jan 9, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #286 of 862
Yes, if there is no accessorie cable by hidisz itself I will use sth like this. But I hoped for a solution from them.

Why would they supply something like that for a $30 device lol?

This tiny DAC was never supposed to support balanced output. If you want to experiment with adapters that's on you.

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #287 of 862
Yes, if there is no accessorie cable by hidisz itself I will use sth like this. But I hoped for a solution from them.

A cheap way to try it would be the Fiio 3.5 male to 2.5 balanced female adapter:

1_Shopify_ee5e9d61-a8cc-4a7f-9d1b-400a32f0d272_large.jpg

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #288 of 862
Do any of you had chance to use both Sonata and Lg Hi-Fi Plus module. The price of both of them are quite close by in my country. (25 dollars)

I am planning to use the device both in my computer and also with my cell. I am a newcomer in the Hi-Fi domain.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #289 of 862
Does it play normally with headphones connected without DAC cable?
Could be because the Sonata DAC doesn't support MQA files? You need something like the Meridian 2 for that.

This DAC works totally fine of my Essential Phone. I don't use Tidal though.

It is my understanding that Tidal MQA files should play back on any DAC (but at a lower quality). I tried the RAZER DAC and the Essential DAC and the MQA files play fine on both of these. I plug in the Hidizs, and I get the same loud distorted sound from one channel. Here is an article that explaines that MQA files should play back on "non MQA" DAC's . https://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-digital/mqa-master-streaming-on-tidal-rules.html

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #291 of 862
Do any of you had chance to use both Sonata and Lg Hi-Fi Plus module. The price of both of them are quite close by in my country. (25 dollars)

I am planning to use the device both in my computer and also with my cell. I am a newcomer in the Hi-Fi domain.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

I've got both and fwiw I think that the Hifi Plus module is superior it's actually really hiid and I prefer it even over something like the Shanling M1. That being said mine is connected to a LG G5 witch makes it a hell of a DAP with streaming for very little money. If I was to buy it to pair with another phone I'd get the Sonata HD for much better form factor and still sounding very good. Just my 2c....

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #292 of 862
I complained about the exact same thing a few pages back. Mine is very hissy with my IEMs as well. I now use it once in a while with a less sensitive headphone, like my HD600. Not ideal, and kinda defeats the purpose of a portable rig. Oh well, you live and learn. Luckily it was dirt cheap. I actually ended up buying a Shanling M0 and stopped trying to mess with phone-DACs. :)

EDIT: someone on the Head-Fi Facebook just commented on the Sonata:

"Sonata HD has 32 ohms output impedance. Not very good if you have sensitive IEMs."
I see, I see!

I've not even thought about it having a pretty high output impedance compared to my IEMs that I usually use (Tin Audio T2s and Xiaomi QTEJ03JY).

I learnt something new today. Thanks for the information! :)

I guess I'll attempt to flip this, since I'm more of a budget audio user.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #293 of 862
I've got both and fwiw I think that the Hifi Plus module is superior it's actually really hiid and I prefer it even over something like the Shanling M1. That being said mine is connected to a LG G5 witch makes it a hell of a DAP with streaming for very little money. If I was to buy it to pair with another phone I'd get the Sonata HD for much better form factor and still sounding very good. Just my 2c....

Your 2c is very appreciated sir :) I just want to make a small leap and then extend it after I got some experience.

I assume I can not go wrong with either of those.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #294 of 862
Jan 11, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #295 of 862
I actually like the Sonata HD2 so much I'm planning to sell my FiiO Q1ii that costs 3 times more lmao

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #300 of 862
What counts as sensitive IEMs? Is 16ohm considered sensitive? Will I get hiss with them?

Certain IEMs are more sensitive to hiss than others, regardless of their impedance. For example, IE800 is quoted at 16 OHMs, but it is not sentisitive to hiss at all, while Ie8, from the same company, is incredibly sensitive to hiss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back