Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Aug 14, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #811 of 862
I'm kinda at my wit's end with the Hidizs S3. It came in the mail several days ago, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it to flash to "D". Every time I attempt it, and connect it to my phone (OnePlus 7), it shows as a 44.1kHz signal instead of what it should be. Any ideas on how to properly flash the thing?

I'm about ready to give up, send it back to Amazon and buy a Fiio BTR5...

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #813 of 862
Is there any difference with Sonata HD? I'm considering the upgrade but I'm not sure if it's worth it .

It's not worth it.

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #815 of 862
Is there any difference with Sonata HD? I'm considering the upgrade but I'm not sure if it's worth it .

Are u asking about Sonata HD Pro versus the normal Sonata HD (non pro)?

11251699.png

As above, the Sonata HD Pro truly lives up to the "Pro" moniker, with better specs than the non Pro version. The Sonata HD Pro doesn't come with a mic and it cannot be used for phone calls, unlike certain flash versions of the non Pro version.

Versus the non Pro, the Sonata HD Pro has:
- Better subbass extension than non Pro
- No hiss with highly sensitive IEMs, unlike non Pro
- Does not heat up, unlike non Pro
- No clicking when changing tracks, unlike non Pro
- Volume controller, unlike non Pro
- Better technicalities, compared to non Pro

I bought both and would advise for a few dollars more to get the Sonata HD Pro version over the non Pro one. More refined.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #816 of 862
Hello...
can i request an update of an sonata hd pro firmware 1.4?
Or
or does anyone know how to get sonata hd pro firmware 1.4 ?

Some one said firmware 1.4 is better than the last 3.0 firmware, in terms of mid and high. last version 3.0 more bassy.
Thanks before

Oct 17, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #817 of 862
Hello everyone!
I just joined this forum and found a great place!

I bought the Sonata Hidizs HD DAC Cable and I have some issues.

The adapter works only if used via the included USB-A to USB-C adapter.

If I connect the Sonata DIRECTLY to an usb-c port, the adapter is not recognized.

These are the tests I carried out:

A) Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S20:

• If I connect the Sonata on my smartphone USB-C port, the smartphone not detecting any audio device on usb port. Audio output goes to smartphone speakers.
  • If I connect the adapter with this chain: SONATA -> INCLUDED USB-C to USB-A -> SAMSUNG USB-A to USB-C OTG Adapter -> SMARTPHONE USB-C PORT, the Sonata is detected and works good. Audio output goes to the headphones connected on Sonata Jack.

B) Dell XPS 15 - Windows PC (Latest Sonata Drivers Installed, downloaded from HIDIZS website)
  • If I connect the Sonata on my Notebook USB-C port, windows not detecting any audio device on usb port and is impossibile to use the Sonata dongle.
  • If I connect the Sonata on my Notebook USB-A port, via the included USB-C to USB-A adapter, windows correctly detects the device and is possible to playback audio, to show status via the drivers and to flash the firmware.

C) Macbook PRO 16"

• If I connect the Sonata on my Apple Macbook USB-C port, MacOS not detecting any audio device on usb port and is impossibile to use the Sonata dongle.
  • Macbook Pro 16 is not provided of USB-A ports. So, if I connect the adapter with this chain: SONATA -> INCLUDED USB-C to USB-A -> APPLE USB-A to USB-C Adapter -> MACBOOK USB-C PORT, the Sonata is detected and works good. Audio output goes to the headphones connected on Sonata Jack and device is visible in the MacOs audio devices list.

I tried all the tests with all the firmware (first with the stocked firmware installed by default, then with A, C and D firmware) but issue persists.

So, it is impossibile to use the SONATA cable with his usb-c port because the DAC works only if the USB included adapter is used.

Is the DAC chipset integrated on usb-c cable or in the usb-a to usb-c adapter?

I need to use the Sonata cable on my smartphone and it is useless if I can't use the usb-c port.

Did I receive a defective product or is this normal behavior?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #824 of 862
And I'd be curious to read something about Tempotec Sonata BHD as well, if it changes in any way from HD Pro.
I've got both. BHD is pretty much a direct upgrade from HD Pro, supercharged everything. If you like HD Pro's presentation you'd pretty much like BHD as well.

If sizzier tingier brighter stuff is more your thing, E1DA stuff is probably what you want. I like mine warmer so I'm going with Tempotec for now. They also do vocals to die for, don't think I've heard anything else that does it this good tbh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back