Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
May 23, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #512 of 862
Using hidizs sonata DAC with my new oneplus 70 pro with hibymusic app it's great

Glad it's working out for you. What headphones are you using?

May 24, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #514 of 862
Hi,
I'm very happy with the sound quality of this device.
Only gripe I have is when displaying video with it. It quite often happens that the video only plays choppy.
Has definitely something to do with the new hardware added and some channels 'not flowing through' quite efficiently.
Anyone has a solution for this?
Couldn't find a solution by Google search :-/

only solution for me is to reset my phone (clearing filters/buffers/cache I guess...)
Pocophone F1 128Gb

May 25, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #515 of 862
My device is a Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design. Before that I had a ZTE AXON 7 which had an extraordinary sound that was due to the two AKM chips.
I assumed that with the Sonata HD I can achieve similar. Although the Sonata HD is recognized by my Mate RS and the output can be set to 192 kHz but there is no sound from the headphones.
Because some Huawei users have problems with the Sonata HD. Is this problem known to Hidizs? It should be possible to fix this problem by a firmware update.
I ordered the Sonata HD in the US and it took a while to get it delivered, so it was very disappointing to find that it did not work.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #516 of 862
My device is a Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design. Before that I had a ZTE AXON 7 which had an extraordinary sound that was due to the two AKM chips.
I assumed that with the Sonata HD I can achieve similar. Although the Sonata HD is recognized by my Mate RS and the output can be set to 192 kHz but there is no sound from the headphones.
Because some Huawei users have problems with the Sonata HD. Is this problem known to Hidizs? It should be possible to fix this problem by a firmware update.
I ordered the Sonata HD in the US and it took a while to get it delivered, so it was very disappointing to find that it did not work.

Huawei is literal trash in smartphone world, I constantly advise every Android user to stay away from that company.

Honestly I dont think there is a fix at all tbh. I think someone got it to work by using an app from the Play Store. Can't remember which one though, your best bet is read through this thread or seach.

May 25, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #517 of 862
I was having problems to use the Hidiz Sonata on my s8 as i reported here.

Happens that it suddenly started working perfectly, out of nowhere. Technology is NOT a exact sciene LOL.

It drivers my Moondrop Kanas(incredibly hard to drive IEM) to a satisfying volume and dynamics. Android has to little volume levels on apps like spotify tho. The full volume is too loud, and there are a good distance from the earlier steps. (on my s8)

I recommend using this dongle for IEMs and easy to drive headphones. There are no hissings at all, both on the cellphone and computer. The Hifiman HE4xx reaches satisfying volume for a lot of people. Not sufficient for me.

I had tested on my father xiaomi mi5 and a friend Note7, it all went perfectly.

May 25, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #518 of 862
I was having problems to use the Hidiz Sonata on my s8 as i reported here.

Happens that it suddenly started working perfectly, out of nowhere. Technology is NOT a exact sciene LOL.

It drivers my Moondrop Kanas(incredibly hard to drive IEM) to a satisfying volume and dynamics. Android has to little volume levels on apps like spotify tho. The full volume is too loud, and there are a good distance from the earlier steps. (on my s8)

I recommend using this dongle for IEMs and easy to drive headphones. There are no hissings at all, both on the cellphone and computer. The Hifiman HE4xx reaches satisfying volume for a lot of people. Not sufficient for me.

I had tested on my father xiaomi mi5 and a friend Note7, it all went perfectly.

You can use Precise Volume to get more accurate control over the volume.

May 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #520 of 862
Not sure what headphones most people are using with this dongle but I've been using it with an HD650. On my OnePlus 6T using USB audio player pro with local files and Tidal it sounds really good. I have to say that I don't listen all that loudly, but half way (using the hardware volume to achieve a bit perfect output) is usually where I have the volume, so there is plenty of headroom.

It sounds like an HD650 should. No missing bass or warmth, and plenty of detail and no veil. There is actually a good amount of sparkle here. This kind of reminds me of how my old LG V10 sounded and I loved that phone for audio.

So as long as you don't listen too loudly this CAN drive an HD650. It actually drives it better than I had expected. I half expected to only be able to use this with my easier to drive headphones, but was pleasantly surprised. I feel that i got way more than I could have hoped for, for only $26.

I have used it with HD598, comparing it with fiio Q1 mkii, dragonfly black 1.5 and even fiio K1 it sounds thin especially in the male sound department, even female who have brassy sound it takes away that brassy texture from their vocals, although it's very detailed in upper-frequency range compared to fiio products, the bass is very thin because it's very fast and doesn't leave any after effect. All these combined and you lose the atmospheric house sound HD598 beautifully produce with other dacs but for 30$ its sound quality is more than you bargained for.

May 26, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #521 of 862
I have used it with HD598, comparing it with fiio Q1 mkii, dragonfly black 1.5 and even fiio K1 it sounds thin especially in the male sound department, even female who have brassy sound it takes away that brassy texture from their vocals, although it's very detailed in upper-frequency range compared to fiio products, the bass is very thin because it's very fast and doesn't leave any after effect. All these combined and you lose the atmospheric house sound HD598 beautifully produce with other dacs but for 30$ its sound quality is more than you bargained for.

My HD650 sounds more dynamic with my NX4DSD versus the Sonata HD, but I don't find the Sonata HD to be bass light.

May 30, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #523 of 862
Huawei is literal trash in smartphone world, I constantly advise every Android user to stay away from that company.

Honestly I dont think there is a fix at all tbh. I think someone got it to work by using an app from the Play Store. Can't remember which one though, your best bet is read through this thread or seach.

Interesting, because I did not have a problem connecting the Sonata to any Huawei device I've tried so far. Six counting (Mate 20 Lite, Honor 8, Honor View 20, Mate 20 Pro, P20, MediaPad T5 Pro tablet), ranging from different Kirin SoCs (950, 960, 980, 710) on several Android/Emui iterations (Android 7, 8 and 9, Emui 5, 8, 9 and Magic UI 2.1) and using different media players (Hiby, Spotify, YouTube, Google Play Music, Huawei Music). Due to some problems that were reported here in this thread, whenever I find a friend, colleague or relative sporting a Huawei device, I ask them if I can try the Sonata with it. It's on firmware D. Always worked. No problems to report regarding connectivity or sound quality.
I have a Honor 8 for almost three years now, it has maintained all of its speed and responsiveness and still has a decent battery life. I cannot say the same regarding my cousin's Galaxy S7 or my wife's Asus Zen3 bought around the same time. Moreover, it has been updating every security patch. The Sonata has been a great companion to my dated but perfectly capable smartphone.
Despite the recent problems regarding the USA-China tradewars, I am still considering buying a Huawei device in the future.

May 30, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #524 of 862
Interesting, because I did not have a problem connecting the Sonata to any Huawei device I've tried so far. Six counting (Mate 20 Lite, Honor 8, Honor View 20, Mate 20 Pro, P20, MediaPad T5 Pro tablet), ranging from different Kirin SoCs (950, 960, 980, 710) on several Android/Emui iterations (Android 7, 8 and 9, Emui 5, 8, 9 and Magic UI 2.1) and using different media players (Hiby, Spotify, YouTube, Google Play Music, Huawei Music). Due to some problems that were reported here in this thread, whenever I find a friend, colleague or relative sporting a Huawei device, I ask them if I can try the Sonata with it. It's on firmware D. Always worked. No problems to report regarding connectivity or sound quality.
I have a Honor 8 for almost three years now, it has maintained all of its speed and responsiveness and still has a decent battery life. I cannot say the same regarding my cousin's Galaxy S7 or my wife's Asus Zen3 bought around the same time. Moreover, it has been updating every security patch. The Sonata has been a great companion to my dated but perfectly capable smartphone.
Despite the recent problems regarding the USA-China tradewars, I am still considering buying a Huawei device in the future.

This isn't the right thread to debate the Huawei disaster of a company, but if you had so much luck with it then be my guest and stick with them. Just don't forget what I said when it turns out your information was forwarded to Chinese servers without your knowing or consent. If you ever find out of course.

May 30, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #525 of 862
This isn't the right thread to debate the Huawei disaster of a company, but if you had so much luck with it then be my guest and stick with them. Just don't forget what I said when it turns out your information was forwarded to Chinese servers without your knowing or consent. If you ever find out of course.
I'm just describing my experiences with the Sonata on its own thread, it was not me that discredited a company, which is in the leading edge of mobile technology, without evidence. And if the theme is "trust", I'd rather trust the Chinese companies that made the Sonata and many other devices that we all love and can afford,than the US government and US companies that seem to be tampering technological development for their own benefit with, I repeat, no evidence to their claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back