Hidizs Sonata HD DAC cable - new tiny and mighty DAC&AMP
Jun 7, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #16 of 862
My Xiaomi works fine with either A or C and sends phone calls.... Can't help you with that

All good, thank you anyway. Maybe I'll contact Hidizs directly or just wait and see what happens when some other S8 user gets it and how it works for them.

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #17 of 862
Question regarding the Sonata HD DAC.

1) Will it work on my xiaomi Mi mix even if it has a 3.5mm jack?
2) will it improve the sound or will the improvement be just for mid range phones?
3) Lastly, can i plug it to my ap200 and use it to drive high impedance headphones (i.e. beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohms) instead of using a portable amp?

Hope my questions can be answered. Thanks!

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #18 of 862
Question regarding the Sonata HD DAC.

1) Will it work on my xiaomi Mi mix even if it has a 3.5mm jack?
2) will it improve the sound or will the improvement be just for mid range phones?
3) Lastly, can i plug it to my ap200 and use it to drive high impedance headphones (i.e. beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohms) instead of using a portable amp?

Hope my questions can be answered. Thanks!

1) Yes it would.
2) Yes. The sound would have better quality in D mode especially
3) No reason for that. AP200 has a great sound and higher output power than Sonata HD cable. The only more powerful DAC&AMP that would beat AP200 is Sonata DH1000.

Jun 11, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 862
We have updated the outlook of the Sonata HD cable, and we have few samples ready for review for the new Sonata HD cables. Please let us know if you want to review it on headfi. Thanks

I'm very interested in doing this as well :)

Jun 16, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #25 of 862
really useful review.
i bought one and i have an issue with it. when i switch it to mode c or d it doesn't work with my phone (huawei p20), it only work when i put the call priority mode.
is it a problem of compatibility or something else ?
thank in advance for your assistance
P.S sorry for my english, i'm french btw.

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #26 of 862
really useful review.
i bought one and i have an issue with it. when i switch it to mode c or d it doesn't work with my phone (huawei p20), it only work when i put the call priority mode.
is it a problem of compatibility or something else ?
thank in advance for your assistance
P.S sorry for my english, i'm french btw.

It seems that in fact you are having some compatibility issues. Unfortunately, Huawei is based on their own CPU and set of protocols that would lead to some shortcomings... For example, many such OTG devices as FPV receivers would not work with Huawei either... Hope that Hidizs monitors this thread (they do) and would check whether Sonata HD can work with Huawei platform. Works ok with Qualcomm Snapdragon based phones.

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #28 of 862
@IryxBRO @Hidizs Hk @Hidizsofficial Hey, so I wanted to ask this in public because some other people might be having the same question, but what is the DAC chip inside the Sonata HD DAC? Is it a custom DAC Chip?

I have a review unit, but I can't seem to find this invormation anywhere (?)

This is a very good question. If only I knew.... :)

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #29 of 862
UPDATE:

Just received the new version of Hidizs Sonata HD cable...

_DSC7234.jpg

Changes are subtle. The only thing that has changed is the appearance of the device. DAC unit body became couple of mm thinner in diameter and USB connector got 1mm wider.

_DSC7243.jpg

_DSC7242.jpg

_DSC7241.jpg

Box contents stayed the same. The device itself and USB to USB type-C adapter.

_DSC7236.jpg

In terms of sound - no differences at all. I have flashed pure music FW verison and found absolutely no changes.

BTW: Sonata HD DAC works perfectly well with smartphones not equipped with USB type-C port. Just use microUSB OTG cable and voila!!!

_DSC7244.jpg

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #30 of 862
I had no idea there was a new version coming along, but if all changes are purely aesthetic, then no worries about it at all.

As for the fact that it works with any smartphone, true, but then the whole solution becomes less appealing, I think that most people will upgrade to a Type-C smartphone eventually so not the biggest issue though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back