Hidizs AP60
Jan 10, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #736 of 773
Can anyone with V2 tell if if there is any stupid catches you've figured out?

Navagation Keys work with screen off?
No resuming playlist selection after powerdown? (This happened on my v1)
Random is always the same song order. Start with song 50, it goes to song 80, then song 40. If you start with song 50 again, it does the exact same order.

Well... Mine just arrived.
A few quick observations.
Mostly... logical, rather intelligent UI. Punchy sound, kind of warm and rolled-off in the upper treble, slight mid-bass emphasis... OK with me.
True... no use of the buttons when screen is off. What? I guess it's like a lockout feature. Could be a smart thing to prevent accidental changes when in the pocket.
(I haven't made any playlists or played Random enough to answer the other two)

So far, no complaints... at all. Like it. Like it a lot.

Wish? Display kHz and Bitrate.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #737 of 773
Mostly... logical, rather intelligent UI. Punchy sound, kind of warm and rolled-off in the upper treble, slight mid-bass emphasis... OK with me.
True... no use of the buttons when screen is off. What? I guess it's like a lockout feature. Could be a smart thing to prevent accidental changes when in the pocket.

Will you check the settings at some point for the button lockout thing? I know they had an option to change it to the vol keys for V1.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #738 of 773
Will you check the settings at some point for the button lockout thing? I know they had an option to change it to the vol keys for V1.

So sorry... I'm not really sure what you're asking. But... there is an option for the 'Volume keys Definition' to be changed to 'Media'. I haven't tried it, and really don't know what it means.
That's as close as I've found.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #739 of 773

Next impressions...
Last night's tests were with a pair of Headphones. Today I've been listening with two types of IEM's. And while comparing headphones to IEM's is usually foolish, and it won't be done here, the difference was radical. With other source equipment I've never heard such a dramatic difference. The headphones made the sound fairly warm and rolled-off in the upper treble (as already stated), and these are fairly bright headphones. This was with the AP60 set on High output. The IEM's were fantastically bright... not more so than usual, but worlds apart from the headphones.
So, I thought I'd see if it's a sound difference from Low to High output. Nope... not that I could tell. I'll do more testing tonight, but from what I can tell, the High and Low settings sound very similar. If there is a tonal difference... it's slight.
My guess is how the AP60 responds or deals with the difference in the impedance of what's plugged into it. Just a guess, as I'm no expert on these things.

But... Breakpoint Resume is an odd one. If it's ON, the last song that was playing resumes and plays as soon as the AP60 is turned on. If it's off, the player does not remember what was last played, and opens to the main menu.
This is kind of odd, but workable.

Bottom line. Very good sound with IEM's, High or Low output. Maybe not world-class, but 10000x better than what I was using for my workouts. Small, relatively light-weight. Mostly intuitive UI.
Pleased.

Cheers

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #740 of 773

It's exactly the same in Hidizs AP60 MKII: if you choose "Media" for Volume buttons, all buttons are locked and for Volume buttons you have:
Screen ON: VOL+ / VOL-
Screen OFF: Short press: NEXT SONG / PREVIEW SONG - Long press: RREW / FFWD

As a Plus there is also Hyby Player support...

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #741 of 773
It's exactly the same in Hidizs AP60 MKII: if you choose "Media" for Volume buttons, all buttons are locked and for Volume buttons you have:
Screen ON: VOL+ / VOL-
Screen OFF: Short press: NEXT SONG / PREVIEW SONG - Long press: RREW / FFWD

As a Plus there is also Hyby Player support...

Aha! That's great to know.

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

EDIT - - - Tried it, like it. Works well, but of course volume is not adjustable with screen off in the 'Media' mode, so it's a functional toss up.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #742 of 773
My AP60 came with firmware v.1.0 (I think).
Has there been an update worth using?

Thanks

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #743 of 773
I upgraded the firmware from stock 1.0, to 1.1. Easily done. Fast, great display showing progress of update. Checking on the device, it says '1.11-Beta', but on the site it's listed as 1.1 (not Beta). The are two Beta updates available, one ads Thai to the languages, the other ads something else I didn't need, so I just went with the non-beta one... so I thought. No matter, piece of cake! And it ads a great feature... a clock display (12 or 24h) while in standby screen-lock mode. It also shows battery level and volume. Great update!

So... the sound on IEM's is what I'm focusing on, because, well... it's mainly for workouts. And so far, with the three IEM's I've used; Westone W4, (Original) Brainwavz B2, and Q-Jays, this little thing rocks!!
The W4 is a great IEM for this device. As it's slightly rolled-off in the highs, it puts a bit of 'warmth' to the AP-60, which it can use for some music and applications. The Q-Jays and B2 can be considered shrill (by some), and so the slight sterility of the AP-60 can come off as strident... but it's not an issue for me.
The AP-60 has an analytical sound, but it's not harsh. Very detailed and quick. Cool, but not cold, and as I said, somewhat sterile. It actually comes off as being very neutral... though not warm and 'natural'. It greatly benefits from well recorded, high-res music. MP3's (which I rarely listen to) can be revealed for what they are; annoyingly artifact-prone.
But high-res files are wonderfully detailed and seem 'true to the source', without obvious coloring. I don't get the depth and spatial separation that I do with my dual-DAC DAP's, but I didn't expect that. But it has great detail, and the neutrality can be easily modified and customized with the EQ (which comes with several pre-sets). As an aside, I usually avoid EQ, especially pre-sets, so you'll rarely hear me opine on them. For me, there has been no reason to require an EQ adjustment on anything I've listened to so far.

The UI is intuitive and straight-forward. There is an operating manual which is actually helpful...! It comes with a couple screen protectors (one is already on it), which I find odd, being that it's not a touch-screen, and there is a clip-on back and side protector. It also comes with a micro USB cable, a few other cards and QC inspection tag. Class.

I really couldn't be happier (well... if it had a clip, I'd be ecstatic!). Really a sweet, well-made little device. High quality design and construction, with a well thought out UI. And it sounds great...! True gapless. (I haven't listened to enough random / shuffle play to address a question earlier, but all in good time).

So far, with no serious flaws (hoping it stays that way), I can't imagine why this isn't more popular... and getting more traction.

Cheers.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #744 of 773
I upgraded the firmware from stock 1.0, to 1.1. Easily done. Fast, great display showing progress of update. Checking on the device, it says '1.11-Beta', but on the site it's listed as 1.1 (not Beta). The are two Beta updates available, one ads Thai to the languages, the other ads something else I didn't need, so I just went with the non-beta one... so I thought. No matter, piece of cake! And it ads a great feature... a clock display (12 or 24h) while in standby screen-lock mode. It also shows battery level and volume. Great update!

So... the sound on IEM's is what I'm focusing on, because, well... it's mainly for workouts. And so far, with the three IEM's I've used; Westone W4, (Original) Brainwavz B2, and Q-Jays, this little thing rocks!!
The W4 is a great IEM for this device. As it's slightly rolled-off in the highs, it puts a bit of 'warmth' to the AP-60, which it can use for some music and applications. The Q-Jays and B2 can be considered shrill (by some), and so the slight sterility of the AP-60 can come off as strident... but it's not an issue for me.
The AP-60 has an analytical sound, but it's not harsh. Very detailed and quick. Cool, but not cold, and as I said, somewhat sterile. It actually comes off as being very neutral... though not warm and 'natural'. It greatly benefits from well recorded, high-res music. MP3's (which I rarely listen to) can be revealed for what they are; annoyingly artifact-prone.
But high-res files are wonderfully detailed and seem 'true to the source', without obvious coloring. I don't get the depth and spatial separation that I do with my dual-DAC DAP's, but I didn't expect that. But it has great detail, and the neutrality can be easily modified and customized with the EQ (which comes with several pre-sets). As an aside, I usually avoid EQ, especially pre-sets, so you'll rarely hear me opine on them. For me, there has been no reason to require an EQ adjustment on anything I've listened to so far.

The UI is intuitive and straight-forward. There is an operating manual which is actually helpful...! It comes with a couple screen protectors (one is already on it), which I find odd, being that it's not a touch-screen, and there is a clip-on back and side protector. It also comes with a micro USB cable, a few other cards and QC inspection tag. Class.

I really couldn't be happier (well... if it had a clip, I'd be ecstatic!). Really a sweet, well-made little device. High quality design and construction, with a well thought out UI. And it sounds great...! True gapless. (I haven't listened to enough random / shuffle play to address a question earlier, but all in good time).

So far, with no serious flaws (hoping it stays that way), I can't imagine why this isn't more popular... and getting more traction.

Cheers.

Hi Shane55

I am sorry bring you in trouble, You could download the newest firmware 1.17 from Our hidizs website:

http://www.hidizs.com/support.php

If you have any questions,Pls send the email to our Hidizs@hidizs.com

We will reply you asap.

Thanks

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #745 of 773
I just recently got the ap60 ii to replace my Fiio X1 ii. I was getting tired of waiting 35-45 minutes for the entire library to update every time I added new music (my music library is over 9750 songs and counting on my 200gb micro sd card). The ap60 ii was able to read all my songs in about 5 minutes when I scanned my music library. The sound coming out of the ap60 ii is very warm and inviting. Through my Audio-Technica CKS99I I’m hearing details that I never heard before on my Fiio X1 with the same IEM!! Currently I’m happy with my new DAP; my only suggestion would be to include an option to play all songs from a specific band or artist and not just limit me to one album. Perhaps in a future firmware update.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #747 of 773
that hiss of ap60 will blow you all away!

Maybe for some, but my AP-60 v.II either doesn't have any, or it's very minimal, or... I have lost the ability to hear it. One of those three. Either way, I don't hear it, and no... not blown away by it at all.
Plays my high-res files flawlessly. The only hiss I ever hear is in the original analogue recording.

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #748 of 773
I own the ap60 v.I and because of that anoying hiss, i just dont wanna use the ap60 with in ear´s anymore. Maybe hidizs have eliminated all hiss with v.II .

But i use ap60 v.I with sennheiser mx475 earbuds and koss ksc 75 on ears. With that is no hiss audible anymore, so all hunky dory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #749 of 773
Bought the AP60 Pro from Massdrop earlier today. Is anyone here familiar with it?
At this point, I'm interested in the following:
1. I would really like to attach a lanyard to it to wear around the neck. Is it possible, even if something optional has to be bought?
2. Will a AP60 case fit perfectly or is there one for the Pro version?
3. Will firmware upgrades be specifically for the Pro version or will it share firmware upgrades with the II version?

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #750 of 773
Bought the AP60 Pro from Massdrop earlier today. Is anyone here familiar with it?
At this point, I'm interested in the following:
1. I would really like to attach a lanyard to it to wear around the neck. Is it possible, even if something optional has to be bought?
2. Will a AP60 case fit perfectly or is there one for the Pro version?
3. Will firmware upgrades be specifically for the Pro version or will it share firmware upgrades with the II version?
I bought one as well. There is a q&a on massdrop right side of page. There is
different chip on Pro version one and said to be better. The 60pro version has it's own firmware. Dunno if it the same dimensions case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back