Hidizs AP200 — new high fidelity music player from Hidizs. First look
Aug 8, 2017 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

IryxBRO

500+ Head-Fier
Two years ago I have first encountered Hidizs AP100 — portable high fidelity music player that outperformed many of its rivals despite a significantly lower cost. That model impressed me so much with its balanced sound that I've continued to use it up till now... And today, I am glad to present my first look and impression about the new flagship Hi-Fi portable player model from the same company — Hidizs — AP200.

dsc6893-1.jpg

Hidizs claims that this model was R&D for two long years, with countless iterations of producing samples and testing, and finally resulting in a model that should shift the expectation even higher, giving the best possible experience of listening to music... Hope so, but I would check it myself during the next couple of weeks.

Lets start with the short video overview of this device:

I would like to describe it again with more technical details. Just follow my text further… Again, this is not a final review. This is just an overview or a first look since the device is yet to be finalized. First units are intended to produce the necessary feedback to polish the final production and get rid of bug, if any.

Technical specifications:

46794370c950e9de87a947048a6f73b7_original.png

I would point out the next features and specifications that are of the most interest to me:
  • 2 x flagship DACs — 1 per channel. Means that L|R channels should be more balanced and separated giving some more scene width.
  • 24K gold shielding of DACs and 3.5mm jack. Means that less to none interference should affect their performance.
  • Dual Crystal Oscillatiors. This we’ve already seen in AP100 model. It significantly reduces jitter and positively influences truthfull sound reproduction.
  • DSD and DXD formats support. Very important now, when much music starts to show up in this formats.
  • Would work as an External DAC with USB or Bluetooth connection to other devices
  • Android operating system with the ability to use preferred apps and special pure music mode to provide the most stable and precise music perfomance in univaersal OS environment.
  • Bluetooth with AptX support. Which means the ability to listen to loseless tracks with the necessary sound quality wirelessly.
  • Unibody aluminum or stainless steel case. Feels like a very solid and monolithic constuction with no free play whatsoever.
  • From 32 up to 128GB of memory with additional microSD card slot that accepts up to 256GB cards.
  • 3100mAh battery to last for about 10 hours.
dsc7747.jpg

In the box:

The box is great. Covered with transparent thin film from the factory, pinted in black color with matt finish. Front logo and model name imprints are glossy and make the right first impression. Back side contains standing out metallic specification text. This is the good way to supply such valuable devices…

My unit was shipped along with the quick start guide — the very first thing that we see inside the box, couple of more liners, microUSB type-C to USB cable, one extra screen protector and case protection cover made of semi-transparent plastic.

dsc6881.jpg

AP200 rests on its foamy podium inside the box and first that draws the attention is that device screen and back glass cover are secured with special screen protectors applied on the factory. The only thing what is left for an owner to do — is to peel of the upper screen potector layer from both glass panels. This is very good to have such protectors applied out of the box because locating protection film of the similar shape in local stores would be almost impossible. At least at the beginning of the sales.

dsc6880.jpg

Body construction:

As already mentined several times — there would be more than one version of body materials: stainless steel or aliminum with different combination of back side cover — carbon-fiber, glass or rosewood. My version is aluminum with glass, painted in blue or violet — depends from which angle to look…

dsc6886.jpg

AP200 feels very solid and comfortable in hands. Even the buttons don’t have any free play and don’t even try to rattle. Case has matt finish with CNC machined vetical pattern. Looks ideal and makes an impression of an expensive device.

dsc7726.jpg

Buttons are not much to talk about — one power ON|OFF (screen ON|OFF) switch at the top, one PLAY|PAUSE button at the right together with a coupled button for VOL UP|DOWN (PREV|NEXT track when double clicked). Right side is completely blank and the bottom side contains all ports and connections: 3.5mm 24K gold plated headphones|linout jack, MicroUSB type-c port for charging and data transfer and microSD card slot. That’s it. Nothing less and nothing more. I wonder how such button/port scheme would affect my habits — I’ve got used to dedicated VOL, FF/REV buttons and separate heaphones|linout jacks on my AP100 model. Hope that the touchscreen experinece would not become a pain for a protable music player.

dsc6890.jpg

Initial performace impressions:

Press Power ON button and wait for about 10 seconds of booting into Android 5.1 operating system. Everything looks very familiar here since I use the same OS on my smartphones. Google Play Store is preinstalled. Quickly connecting Wi-Fi to the chosen network and I am ready to go with my favorite apps like TuneIn Radio, Youtube and so on.

dsc6899.jpg

Despite having only 1GB RAM AP200 feels pretty responsive, thanks to almost no other apps preinstalled that would eat up all memory… Default application for music player is Hiby — very capable and respected player for Android OS. But you are not limited to this app while staying in the general OS mode. Consequently, as soon as we would switch AP200 to special PURE MUSIC mode (done by pulling down the notification bar and pressing the corresponding quick settings button) — the device would restrict anything but Hiby app, forwarding all processing power and allowing the shortest audio paths for playing music.

dsc7739-2.jpg

Couple of words about the screen: it is very suitable for such kind of device. 3.54 inch, multitouch, IPS, 960×640 resolution, crisp and clear. It is more than enough to listen to music while watching at the album art or lyrics and totally enough even to read books and browse the internet. Touch sensitivity is on a good level — I haven’t noticed any ghost or wrong screen taps while using it.

Besides the screen, the front side has «Hi-Res Audio» logo sticker. This little detail tells us that AP200 has been certified by JAS (Japan Audio Association) and CEA (Consumer Technology Association) and claimed to comply to high resolutions audio device standards.

And of course, Hidizs has not just taken a «bare» Android OS and thrown it inside AP200… They’ve done a good job of customizing the OS so that it would incorporate all device possibilities and make user experience correspond to its essence — Hi-Def audio performance. This includes various quick setting buttons, additional system settings, preinstalled or|and cleared default apps and so on. As a consequence — the owner would have a device with universal OS capable of many different tasks but preconfigured and intended for perfect audio reproduction.

dsc6911.jpg

Final word:

My first impressions are very positive. I like the device, the way it looks and feels. My first couple of hours playing with it were pleasing and I haven’t found anything that would contradict with my own expectations or with device capabilities / features claimed by the manufacturer. All further tests are yet to be conducted. I am planning to spend many hours with AP200 and my beloved Yamaha RH5Ma studio headphones, as well as with Edifier R1100 PC stereo system. Additionally, I plan to visit one of the largest professional local music lab to conduct some inevitable hardware testing to compare AP100 & AP200 performance + to confirm some claimed specifications I would publish my findings and finalizing review as soon as all tests would be accomplished. I think that it would take me about 1-2 weeks from now.

dsc7763.jpg

Thank you for reading, stay tuned — part 2 of the review is coming…

Discount of 20% for any purchase from Hidizs store is available on my review resource

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 27
It seems that nobody is really interested in new models of portable Hi-Fi players? Still in the process of checking audio abilities of this device. Although, there are some reviews around that claim its sound to be the best in class... My opinion is on approach.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 27
It seems that nobody is really interested in new models of portable Hi-Fi players? Still in the process of checking audio abilities of this device. Although, there are some reviews around that claim its sound to be the best in class... My opinion is on approach.

I am reading! I am awaiting delivery of my AP200! I appreciate you taking the time to post on this. Cheers!

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 27
Yeap me too. I am considering getting one of these

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 27
Aug 22, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 27
You should amend this --> 2 x flagship DACs
They sure as hell aren't flagship DACs...

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 27
Wrong forum though?

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 27
Part 2. Sound test

Two weeks passed since we’ve unboxed and reviewed Hidizs AP200 player and it is time to share our opinion about the sound quality together with the results of a couple of technical tests that were conducted couple of days ago.

Technical tests:

In order to provide the most interesting test — we have visited the largest Ukrainian professional music store — JAM.UA (exclusive distributor of Yamaha, ESP, PRS, Kort and many other brands in our country).

1-vid.jpg

We’ve met with Igor Kravcov there — he is one of the leading engineers in service section, mostly dealing with servicing and testing audio equipment. He agreed to help us with our quest and evaluate how good Hidizs AP100 & AP200 players reproduce sound throughout all AFR (amplitude-frequency response) range using M-Audio Audiophile Sound Card & SpectraLAB software.

img_20170823_155307_hdr.jpg

What we were up to is to get AFR from both players using sinusoidal and pink noise signals and compare them against each other. The best result in such test would be to acquire straight line through the whole frequency response range while playing pure sinus signal and see the similar behavior of two players when «human natural» sinus is played.

Note: our ears would naturally accept more lows and mids than highs even if they are played with the same amount of volume. «Pure sinus» signal is formed to compensate this decay of high frequencies to represent the straight line on the graph. «Human natural» or «perceived» sinus is formed to reflect the natural hearing abilities of a human ear (volume decay at higher frequencies).

Why pure sinus straight line or perceived sinus similar bahavior line with a decay at high frequencies of both players are so important to us: this lines would tell us whether AP100 and AP200 are capable of producing all frequency response range evenly which results in precise, balanced and «analytical» sound with no additional tuning from the factory. Such audio source would have minimum to none influence on the recorded audio. EQ was turned OFF in both players, of course.

First, let’s check the previous AFR tests of AP100 conducted by the Reference Audio Analyzer Lab:

ap100raa.jpg

Edge decay at 20kHZ can be omitted due to high frequency interference error.

As seen from the picture — pure sinus signal with AP100 AFR results in a straight line through all frequency response range.

Our test of AP100 to check if we get the same result:

ap100_f.jpg

AFR decay of <30Hz can be omitted due to measure start lag.

So, as obvious — red line represents pure sinus which is a straight line through all frequency response range, light blue line represents natural or perceived sinus and yellow represents natural or perceived noise…

Now we know that our tests and RAAL tests of AP100 AFR have the same results — straight line throughout all frequency range. As many users already know or heard — Hidizs AP100 is usually called «a player with balanced and analytical sound with no peaks or roll offs at any frequency». Our tests reflect such meaning.

Now, let’s see the results for Hidizs AP200:

ap200f.jpg

AFR decay of <30Hz can be omitted due to measure start lag.

Again, red line represents pure sinus which is a straight line through all frequency response range, violet line represents natural or perceived sinus and orange represents natural or perceived noise…

From this graph we can tell that AP200 is capable of reproducing all frequencies evenly. Thus, it has the same balanced and analytical sound characteristics of AP100.

AP100 & AP200 results (natural or perceived sinus and noise only):

both.jpg

AFR decay of <30Hz can be omitted due to measure start lag. We have set slightly different volume output on players to separate the lines one our graph.

Violet line represents natural sinus of AP200, light blue — AP100. Yellow line is natural noise for AP200 and red — for AP100.

Seems that sinus is equal for both players. Which means that they have similar balanced and natural sound throughout all frequency range… No coloring, all response range is even. Great source for any type of final audio reproduction gear — headphones, speakers, etc. The rest of the sound coloring can be done using EQ to your own liking.

Personal opinion about the sound quality:

I’ve spent about 10 hours now listening to Hidizs AP100 & AP200 players with my Yamaha RH-5Ma and Audio-Technica M20x headphones trying to find the difference in sound reproduction. Personally, I’ve found that AP200 is more capable of defining a bit wider stage with a bit more resolution on human voices and midbass and a bit less bright top octave. Midbass overtones are more obvious and top octave is a bit less sparkling but totally enough and well controlled to avoid unpleasant «hisses» that I’ve rarely heard with my AP100 when used with very bright and sparkling Yamaha RH-5Ma. On the other hand, using Audio-Technica M20x would force me to use EQ in both players and increase upper-highs to top octave a bit and slightly decrease low bass. M20x are closed type studio headphones pretuned for excellent resolution and reproduction of low frequencies which results in such EQ tuning. But their stage reproduction is wider, even despite their closed type. Some audio material player through AP200 with Audio-Technica 20Mx would obviously show longer distance of vertical and horizontal instrument separation. Let’s say, this is the first player which showed me how wide the stage on the recording could be and how far each instrument can be placed on any axis. Very good and new sound experience.

Note: such vertical and horizontal stage width can be heard clearly with hi-res audio formats and music genres that do not require much of equalization squeeze to sound "tough and thick". Such modern type of recording would loose a part of dynamic range and stage width in favor of popular sound. The best experience gained while listening to hi-res jazz, blues, classics, soul and slow old rock songs. If you've never heard what vertical instrument separation is - you have probably missed the right music :)

Conclusion:

Despite some minor flaws in firmware (which should be eliminated with the upcoming FW version according to Hidizs latest replies) I fell in love with Hidizs AP200. I am not really considering all other possibilities like using Adnroid OS for youtube or radio on this player (BTW — Hidizs replied that ESS DACs are always ON, no matter the running mode or application) — sound quality in pure mode is what interests me the most. And it seems that AP200 is very capable in this aspect, very balanced and perfectly tuned, slightly outperforming its predecessor AP100 in terms of stage width reproduction and resolution in some frequency ranges. Definitely a step ahead which brings audio listening experience to a higher level.

dsc6911.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 27
Here is the link to the testing audio material. I don't think that there would be any problems with link to this material because it is distributed for free as hires samples or headphones check.

Zip archive has 2 folders: "Ultimate headphones demonstartion" - perfect examples of stage width and instrument separation. And "flac SoundProLabs Absolute...." - this folder has more than 40 hires audio files with 1:30 - 2:00 length of different genres but all showing the perfect quality of source audio recording (now, when I've heard and compared my other flac files of the same songs - I understand that I have to find the same albums with higher quality recordings... I just don't know now how to live with that :frowning2: )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back