Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference?
Dec 22, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #796 of 992
well i am not an expert here , but so far - 6 years here - i find that the 1000 euros i paid for the NT6 + whiplash hybrid v3 cable - are the money best invested so far 

7 months (and hopefully many more) of pure sonic bliss 

i would pay again this amount for this combo without blinking 
biggrin.gif

there are better ciems/combos out there - sure , no doubt about it

but nt6+whv3 have been the first thing i owned that a)i can not find any shortcomings and b) have tamed my upgraditis monster and put it to sleep, hell they made it a pal , bringing my slippers and asking 'anything else you need, boss?' 
tongue.gif

i have been thinking lately whether i should buy another NT6 as backup (if one such holy ciem pops us FS here) 

marvellous ciem , simply amazing job by the Hidition guys

btw , someone in here who listened/owned bth, told me that NT6 is as good as Noble Katana - only Katana costs 2 times of what i paid so yeah - call me a very happy camper

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #797 of 992
  The LPG was the best DAP I have heard so far with the NT6pro and I have heard most of the TOTL DAPs. It shows off the pro's transparency and dynamics. Plus it is wonderful that it doesn't require a stack. I find that I typically have to stack with the NT6pro to get full dynamics out of it as with any of the AK models. As for the Sony, didn't hear the Sony/LPG back to back, but felt that the Sony had my preferred signature over the LPG with the same level of performance. Just guessing, but the LPG may have more transparency, but the Sony may have better textures and emotion. Cannot wait to get my Pros back to be able to pair with the Sony. Feel like a big part of me is missing without my Hiditions.

BTW, I got my hands on a Caylx M which is blowing my mind - just put up a review. Have a feeling it may be a wonderful matchup for the Hiditions providing stackless power dynamics and an unrivaled transparency courtesy of the inky black, black, black background that bests even desktop setups. The M may be in the same performance range as the Sony and the LPG if you can stomach the 4 hour battery life and the criminal UI missing elements - play all and folder browsing. I am seeing these around at sub $500 levels now if you want to give it a try as they blow everything else at that price range away in SQ. Very beautiful device too with a nice heft, but not too big. I am pairing it with my HifiMan HEX right now with is a match made in heaven and is a very similar signature to the Pro.

I have tried the M before when the hype was at an all time high during the initial release. Sadly, I did not like how it sounded as I find it makes the sound too thick for my taste. It's been a while now since that time and may have changed the sound after FW iterations.

However, the battery life and UI are the other things I also don't like about the M.

I don't have the NT-6 back then, maybe I'll give it another try when I get my NT-6 back.  Using Roxanne, I feel that LPG is better in terms of resolution and clarity over M from my previous impressions. LPG also brings my AKT8ieMKII to another level of clarity and resolution that I never heard of any dynamic drivers before. It's like having HD800 without the treble harshness and a very present and detailed bass. One of those moment when I feel I can have the cake and eat it too. 
tongue_smile.gif

If LPG take NT-6 to another level then it is easier to forget Hidition's lack of CS.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #798 of 992

The LPG was the best DAP I have heard so far with the NT6pro and I have heard most of the TOTL DAPs. It shows off the pro's transparency and dynamics. Plus it is wonderful that it doesn't require a stack. I find that I typically have to stack with the NT6pro to get full dynamics out of it as with any of the AK models. As for the Sony, didn't hear the Sony/LPG back to back, but felt that the Sony had my preferred signature over the LPG with the same level of performance. Just guessing, but the LPG may have more transparency, but the Sony may have better textures and emotion. Cannot wait to get my Pros back to be able to pair with the Sony. Feel like a big part of me is missing without my Hiditions.

BTW, I got my hands on a Caylx M which is blowing my mind - just put up a review. Have a feeling it may be a wonderful matchup for the Hiditions providing stackless power dynamics and an unrivaled transparency courtesy of the inky black, black, black background that bests even desktop setups. The M may be in the same performance range as the Sony and the LPG if you can stomach the 4 hour battery life and the criminal UI missing elements - play all and folder browsing. I am seeing these around at sub $500 levels now if you want to give it a try as they blow everything else at that price range away in SQ. Very beautiful device too with a nice heft, but not too big. I am pairing it with my HifiMan HEX right now with is a match made in heaven and is a very similar signature to the Pro.

I have tried the M before when the hype was at an all time high during the initial release. Sadly, I did not like how it sounded as I find it makes the sound too thick for my taste. It's been a while now since that time and may have changed the sound after FW iterations. However, the battery life and UI are the other things I also don't like about the M.

Interesting, at first I was not impressed with the M due to its brightness and blaring evident in most Sabre implementations and was pissed at the battery and UI miss steps. I persisted knowing that I was going to sell it and it would probably be the last time I got to hear it and got hopelessly hooked on the unique sound qualities.

This difference in opinion may be FW changes, burn in, HP pairing, or maybe even different views/preferences in signature, but too thick wasn't anything that I have felt in my listening nor my friends that have heard it. While it is thick in texture, resolution, and deep in bass, the jet black background and transparency has been the focus of its magic. Maybe my opinion will change when I start playing with other headphones more, but the HEX/M pairing is wonderful. I don't even listen to my desktop any more.

But yes, you have to really dig the SQ to put up with the criminal shortcomings.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #799 of 992
  Interesting, at first I was not impressed with the M due to its brightness and blaring evident in most Sabre implementations and was pissed at the battery and UI miss steps. I persisted knowing that I was going to sell it and it would probably be the last time I got to hear it and got hopelessly hooked on the unique sound qualities.

This difference in opinion may be FW changes, burn in, HP pairing, or maybe even different views/preferences in signature, but too thick wasn't anything that I have felt in my listening nor my friends that have heard it. While it is thick in texture, resolution, and deep in bass, the jet black background and transparency has been the focus of its magic. Maybe my opinion will change when I start playing with other headphones more, but the HEX/M pairing is wonderful. I don't even listen to my desktop any more.

But yes, you have to really dig the SQ to put up with the criminal shortcomings.

I see many different variables which I think contributes to different impressions. I only tried the M for about 30 minutes and in a not so ideal noisy environment. With the pressure from a guy standing behind me anxious to get his hand on the M. Plus the early M had so many issues with SD card format that I was not able to try my own music instead I only listen to whatever comes with the demo unit which are mostly not the songs I am more familiar with.

Had Hifimans (HE-400i, HE-560) and I still have the HE-6. With the exception of HE-6, Hifimans do tend to sound a bit on the lean/bright side perhaps negative some of the thickness I perceived with M. Roxanne already has a hint of thickness even with the bass pot turned all the way down. I have not tried the HEX yet, but I my impression of HEK also tends to a little bit to the lean/bright side.

However, like you mentioned impressions tend to change overtime as you get more familiar with the equipment and listen to as more songs and get comparison with other gears.

Dec 24, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #800 of 992
how much does LPG cost ? and what's its battery time ?

you can buy a used sony zx2 these days for 500 euros , so if the LPg costs like 3 times more i don't think that i am hooked on getting one (especially if it's 10-20% better...)

besides, that huge zx2 battery life (20-30 hours of FLAC playing) well it's hard not to get addicted to it

Nt6 + zx2 pair very nicely btw , as zx2 is slightly warmish and full and the NT6 really fills up great when used with it 

hope Hidition steps up its CS , this ciem is up there with the best imho (certainly the best iem - and by quite a margin - I  have used/owned these last 6 years)

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #802 of 992
  how much does LPG cost ? and what's its battery time ?

you can buy a used sony zx2 these days for 500 euros , so if the LPg costs like 3 times more i don't think that i am hooked on getting one (especially if it's 10-20% better...)

besides, that huge zx2 battery life (20-30 hours of FLAC playing) well it's hard not to get addicted to it

Nt6 + zx2 pair very nicely btw , as zx2 is slightly warmish and full and the NT6 really fills up great when used with it 

hope Hidition steps up its CS , this ciem is up there with the best imho (certainly the best iem - and by quite a margin - I  have used/owned these last 6 years)

Problem with Sony is the weak amplifier. I have headphones which I listen to before I go to sleep on bed. Sony's will never power any decent headphones. I always value neutrality in a source. If I want warmth. I look for it from the headphone.

So I'm curious to hear NT-6 with LPG. Since LPG is brings out the detail from the source and NT-6 conveys those details very nicely.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #803 of 992
Well, still waiting for Hidition to respond to me or reply to my post on their board. I just hope it's just because they're celebrating Christmas.

I'll giving them 1 week after the new year. If they still don't respond I'll have AAW do the repair and move on.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #804 of 992
Problem with Sony is the weak amplifier. I have headphones which I listen to before I go to sleep on bed. Sony's will never power any decent headphones. I always value neutrality in a source. If I want warmth. I look for it from the headphone.

So I'm curious to hear NT-6 with LPG. Since LPG is brings out the detail from the source and NT-6 conveys those details very nicely.

Well said. It's the worst DAP I have ever used. I initially thought it was because mine was EU restricted. I recently used a Japanese one and it wasn't much better either.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #805 of 992
For those who are seeking clarity, details in iem/headphones you may want to try the Audeze iSine series. I never warmed up to their full-size headphone offerings as I find them too dark and masking details in the mids and highs. But their iSine 10 specifically has that wondering detail, texture and layering. It actually sounded close to an electrostatic (SR-507) that a planar dynamic headphones I tried. I am very excited to compare this with NT-6.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #806 of 992
Well said. It's the worst DAP I have ever used. I initially thought it was because mine was EU restricted. I recently used a Japanese one and it wasn't much better either.

I'm inclined to agree. When I had one it replaced an iBasso DX90 and I was initially smitten with the UI and battery life. It sounds okay but is not in the same league as Mojo and some of the other DAPs I've owned since. As well as being incompetent with harder to drive cans it is a hiss monster with more sensitive earphones.

Just one step up from a smartphone really.

(BTW, the excellent Mrspeakers Ether C will be reluctantly returned to you next week. Grrr.)

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #808 of 992

I'll giving them 1 week after the new year. If they still don't respond I'll have AAW do the repair and move on.

Does your repair require a reshell though?

I would really prefer a reshell to be done by the original manufacturer, unless, like you said, the manufacturer doesn't even entertain their own customers. Would suck it up and go for a third-party reshell then 
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #809 of 992
Does your repair require a reshell though?

I would really prefer a reshell to be done by the original manufacturer, unless, like you said, the manufacturer doesn't even entertain their own customers. Would suck it up and go for a third-party reshell then :frowning2:

Yes would require a reshell

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #810 of 992
So good news, good news, and bad news. Hidition received my package and responded by email with solutions. They can fix my broken pin problem quick and cheap forgetting about the expensive shipping at only $11. However, in the process of analysing my CIEMs, they found other issues that would require a remold to resolve and at $330 for just the remold without the cost of any custom finish work, issue fixes, or shipping. Here is what they found:

"The low and  high band of right is degraded and the middleband of left is also degraded."

Going to have to get them back to perfect so I am taking the more extensive fix option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back