HiBY W5 - 192KHz Bluetooth audio breakthrough
Mar 3, 2019 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

IryxBRO

500+ Head-Fier
HiBy W5 — the world’s first Bluetooth DAC/AMP receiver with UAT (Ultra Audio Transmission) codec that might set the new wireless audio standards for the entire industry. 192KHz Ultra Audio Transmission technology was developed by HiBy as new generation of Bluetooth audio codec superior to all previous standards. HiBy has managed to take the advantage of Bluetooth 5.0 and overcome previous bandwidth limitations that didn’t allow sufficient data transfer speeds, consequently lowering sampling frequency. With the introduction of UAT, 192KHz files with the maximum transfer rate of 1.2Mbps would be streamed directly from the source to headphones with no further downsampling.

h_2.PNG

HiBy W5 technical specifications and discription:
  • Type: Bluetooth audio receiver with integrated DAC&AMP
  • Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0 (CSR8675)
  • Bluetooth audio codecs: SBC, AAC, apt-X, apt-X_LL, apt-X HD, LDAC, UAT
  • Max. bit rate: 1.2Mbps
  • Max. bit depth: 24bit
  • Max. sampling frequency: 192kHz
  • DAC&AMP chip: ESS Sabre ES9218P
  • SNR: 118dB
  • THD+N: -103dB
  • Output power: 80mW+80mW@32Ω
  • Audio output: 3.5mm
  • Control elements: 1 sensor button + LED indicator
  • Battery life: ≥20 hours (W5 battery + cradle battery), ≥100 hours at standby
  • Compatibility: Windows, Android, iOS, MacOS
  • Other features: intergrated mic for voice calls, IP67 waterproof, remote control by HiBY Music app
  • Weight: 19.5g (W5), 57.1g (cradle)
h_3.PNG

Short comparison of main specs of the two latest audio codecs developed by Qualcomm (apt-X HD) and Sony (LDAC):

h_10.PNG

As far as we understand, HiBy might be pushing their innovation to different vendors right after confirming that it is perfectly stable. Anyway, W5 is compatible with all currently available BT audio codecs and could be paired to any other audio source supporting Bluetooth. Therefore, you can use it with any DAPs or smartphones and enjoy all advantages of the latest wireless audio transmission technologies.

h_5.PNG

HiBy has launched W5 on KickStarter on 5th of March and would start delivering production units on May. Next post of this thread would contain our review of fully functional peproduction sample.

_DSC0073.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________
LINKS:

HiBy W5 on KickStarter: LINK
Official HiBy W5 page: LINK

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Reviews:

1. IryxBRO review: LINK
2. HiBy W5 on HeadFi: LINK
3. Review by Audio123: LINK
4. Review by Headfonics: LINK

FAQ:

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 32
Hmmm, no volume control is a deal breaker for me :frowning2: and other controls being worse than necessary doesn't help either... press and then press and hold to power down? I can see on TW earphones at their size but a BT amp should have the three control buttons at least like most others do.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 32
Hmmm, no volume control is a deal breaker for me :frowning2: and other controls being worse than necessary doesn't help either... press and then press and hold to power down? I can see on TW earphones at their size but a BT amp should have the three control buttons at least like most others do.

Oh, no! Lack of volume control is a bummer.

Btw , @IryxBRO , would you know what is the output impedance of the 3.5 mm out. (becomes important for OI sensitive iems like Massdrop Plus, Andromeda).

Mar 4, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 32
I would really want to support Hiby on this project, but Earstudio ES100 just seems like a better option still, except w5 may sound just a touch better.
It doesn't have balanced out, volume buttons, the software and mainly it can't match the ES's battery life..
Now I'm regretting I didn't jump on ES100 back then :/ I didn't believe in bluetooth, until I tried ES100 for a minute recently.

Am I missing something?

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 32
My take on the HiBy W5. Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)

photo_2019-03-05_18-56-31.jpg

Btw , @IryxBRO , would you know what is the output impedance of the 3.5 mm out. (becomes important for OI sensitive iems like Massdrop Plus, Andromeda).
I got you. Quite silent with my Andromeda!

upload_2019-3-5_23-33-25.png

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 32
HiBy has managed to take the advantage of Bluetooth 5.0 and overcome previous bandwidth limitations that didn’t allow sufficient data transfer speeds
This is a little misleading. Audio transmission is done over Bluetooth Classic, and BT Classic hasn't changed with BT 5.0. Only if it was using Bluetooth Low Energy (which it isn't) would BT 5.0 make a difference.

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 32
No data. Should check or ask. I would update if I'd have this info
The output impedance is under one ohm. For more information, the w5's DAC and amp are the ESS ES9218P combo DAC/amp chip.

Actually it has volume and transport buttons, if a single button overloaded with button combos counts :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 7, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 32
Will I be able to listen to a HiBy R6 Pro in the highest quality setting UAT and also receive phone calls via my iPhone?

I other words will it be 'multi device'?

May 7, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 32
Will I be able to listen to a HiBy R6 Pro in the highest quality setting UAT and also receive phone calls via my iPhone?

I other words will it be 'multi device'?
It connnects to one device at a time... :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 7, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 32
Some Bluetooth devices can multi-pair.

Would be handy to be alerted and be able to take calls on my headphones.

May 7, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 32
I am interested as well. Unfortunately I can't place an pre-order on Hiby store for now as apparently I need to order it from a local distributor. Guess it will take a little longer to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back