HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 15, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #1,276 of 3,177
  • I just wanted to understand how the OS of RS6 functions and whether only MQA benefits from OS for now. It appears only MQA benefits from the OS feature of RS6.
  • I also wanted to feed RS6 the maximum playback file it accepts and compares it to the same file OS by RS6; I hear a difference.
    • Hibys OS is warmer and more forgiving.
    • Direct 2xDXD playback has a sharper attack, better transient response.
  • I made a significant error on my DSD test. It was not a deliberate error but accidental. I'm after an excellent offline DSD upsampler that does not cost 2,000 USD. I was trying to test how good the free PCMDSD program I found online function, and as a result, last night, I uploaded the wrong file into RS6. I wanted to compare the DSD256 I found on native DSD against the same file upsampled using that program.
  • I still prefer DXD compared to DSD on RS6. It appears the program does extreme filtering for the ultrasonic freq.
In short, I have nothing but praise for RS6. I will upsample my favourite albums to the maximum resolution RS6 accepts as I hear its benefit. It might also have to do with the program I used. PGGB does extreme filtering using a Matlab upsampling algorithm. The files that I used were upsampling with 256 million taps.
I'm using the free version and seriously considering buying this program. I had bad luck with its foobar version, which is the lite version of the same program.

Conclusion:
Overall, I couldn't recommend this DAP enough. I understand now why MQA sound so good on RS6. For now, Hiby only OS MQA file, and other files appear to remain in NOS format.
I also hear the benefits of upsampling my favourite album to the maximum resolution RS6 support. The added benefit appears to be a better transit response that shines on classical music. The advantage becomes much more audible for live recording; the microdetail just stands out without ever being distracting.

Tonight I will compare PGGB with the free XiVero program and see whether the benefits I hear is because of the program or RS6.

Ther is a technical video on hibys weibo, I wish I understood it. Putting it here for those who might be able to translate it if they can.

https://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034:4698669002457109

Please see above,
Have you tried UAPP integer upsampling? What rate have you been upsampling to 24/384-352 or higher? Use frequency multiples of the original if possible.
I'm sure Hiby has enough power in this unit to offer frequency dependent, multiplication of bits up sampling in their normal settings menu. This would be a great FW recommendation from those reviewers that agree with you.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,277 of 3,177
BTW, does anyone have any updates on RS6 vs DX300?
I am sitting on a fence as both are currently listed on local classifieds, RS6 being ~$1400 and DX300 being ~$1100 with AMP11 Mk2 and ~$1200 with AMP12
Reports are the the new cheaper DX240 has similar performance to the DX300 with the Hiby size. You may want to consider it vs RS6 as well.

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,278 of 3,177
Reports are the the new cheaper DX240 has similar performance to the DX300 with the Hiby size. You may want to consider it vs RS6 as well.
Good point, but aren't these two very different in terms of sound signature?

I always was not a big fan ESS sound sig (detailed and transparent but not as natural opposed to more warm / analogue / musical R2R or even AK/Cirrus), isn't it the case for DX240 as well?

UPD: I can't care less about DSD as I'm 100% into losless streaming with offline playlists, and midrange esp. voice naturalness and timbre is of most importance for me.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,282 of 3,177
Good point, but aren't these two very different in terms of sound signature?

I always was not a big fan ESS sound sig (detailed and transparent but not as natural opposed to more warm / analogue / musical R2R or even AK/Cirrus), isn't it the case for DX240 as well?
The ESS character that you're referring to isn't part of the latest chips and didn't always present on the older ones. So much is application. I really wouldn't buy on parts used or even specs beyond knowing something had enough power or battery life etc for my personal uses. I had a similar bias though wouldn't dismiss based on it and bought an R6 2020 with the mobile version of the same current chip. Plenty happy with it. It may not have the weight of some of the flagship units but it's more informative and closer to right than it should be for the price.

All that said, this is the R2R thread and I have zero experience or opinion with the RS6 or the DX240. I had one on the DX300. TOO BIG.:gs1000smile:

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,283 of 3,177
Quick question to the RS6 owners: can you change the default green skin/theme?
You can change the entire UI or skin it completely. That's one of the big advantages of an open Android DAP. Read the Personalising RS6 section in my review.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,286 of 3,177
A curiosity. Have you tried ONLY the Hiby player or another player that you think is better than the Hiby one?

I've disabled HiBy Music, even though I used it for testing. Great sound but the UI and speed and features can't compete with UAPP.

R8 or RS6 which do you pick?

It depends on whether you want the extra space, resolution and balance of the R8, or if you're happy to give that up for some added warmth, midbass punch and smoother vocals. I think it'll also come down to the IEM pairing and synergy.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,288 of 3,177
I've disabled HiBy Music, even though I used it for testing. Great sound but the UI and speed and features can't compete with UAPP.

It depends on whether you want the extra space, resolution and balance of the R8, or if you're happy to give that up for some added warmth, midbass punch and smoother vocals. I think it'll also come down to the IEM pairing and synergy.
and in terms of sound what changes between Hiby and Uapp?

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #1,289 of 3,177
Have you tried UAPP integer upsampling? What rate have you been upsampling to 24/384-352 or higher? Use frequency multiples of the original if possible.
I'm sure Hiby has enough power in this unit to offer frequency dependent, multiplication of bits up sampling in their normal settings menu. This would be a great FW recommendation from those reviewers that agree with you.
I tried uapp, but it doesn't do anything higher than 384.

With hiby own music app, I can do 768, which is insane!

I'll be testing Xivero SRC tonight and compare it against PGGB.

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #1,290 of 3,177
and in terms of sound what changes between Hiby and Uapp?
Not that much actually. They both get the maximum SQ out of the RS6. True bitperfect should not sound different at all. Maybe a touch here or there but not enough to recommend one over the other for SQ alone. As I said though, when it comes to UI, speed, flexibility and features, it's not even a contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back