HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Dec 26, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #2,717 of 3,175
It's from Wechat, not possible to share but do approach Hiby as that is the best way. They respond fast on FB.

The grey finish is mostly to deal with chipping issue of the original RS6, see image attached.

Attachments

• 20221227_140630.jpg
    20221227_140630.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #2,719 of 3,175
Disclaimer: I have put this same post in the 64 Audio Thread but thought to mention it here too as it involves the HiBy RS6.

Sound review of the "HiBy RS6-->Effect Audio Grandioso cable-->64 Audio Trio" chain

Music Source:
TIDAL

Music I listen to: All kinds. Naming a few artists - Aerosmith, GNR, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, U2, Pink Floyd, Snowy White (The White Flames), By The Coast, Leif Vollebekk, Etta James, Daughtry, Billy Joel, Cranberries, Coldplay, Sting/Police, Chris Stapleton, Forest Blakk, Freya Ridings, Ed Sheeran, Maroon 5, The Script, Khalid, Ella Vos, Eminem, Dino James, MC Boy, Adele, Alok, JP Cooper, Lauren Daigle, Mohammed Rafi, Bappi Lahiri, Punjabi, Bilal Saeed, Arijit Singh, Jasleen Royal, Sona Mohapatra, When Chai Met Toast.

Reference link for terms used in the ‘Sound Quality’ section: https://www.headphonesty.com/sound-description-glossary/

Intro: RS6- this is a very versatile DAP! It works great with all my gear. I am yet to find something that it doesn't work well with. Effect Audio Grandioso cable- (text taken from HPZ) “The EA Grandioso is a hybrid cable built with ultra-purity OCC pure copper and pure silver materials in an upgraded geometric design. It intensifies every bit of detail and delivers a superior and dynamic music experience”. 64 Audio Trio- I think that the way the 64 Audio website describes the Trio is 200% accurate - "The perfect in-ear monitor for listeners looking for the sweet spot between reference-level clarity and a smooth sound signature for extended listening. The Trió is a great earphone for audiophiles seeking a clear, laid back, 3D sound in any genre."

I prefer a V-shaped sound and a hybrid IEM setup. I almost always stay away from all BA IEMs (no matter how good they are) as they are just not fun enough for me. Hence, I chose the Trio over the (probably more popular) U12t.

Sound quality: The first terms that come to my mind here are – coherent, accurate, natural, airy, bright (but never ever sibilant), extremely well separated with a realistic soundstage, very easy on the ears making for looooong listening sessions with no fatigue, quite detailed and analytical yet fun (perfect balance here).

This setup comes across as a very good combination/chain as the RS6’s natural R2R sound is supported very nicely by the Grandioso and Trio. Everything sounds natural and just right to me. If there is any sound coloring going on at all, it is probably very little and done very tastefully. Thus, when I go from track to track or artist to artist, the chain just adapts to the nature of the music and moves along comfortably. It is impressive really.

Coming to the Trio- this is an IEM that I absolutely adore. The saying “Less is more” is so true here. Just 3 drivers (2 BAs and 1 DD) but they each do what they’re supposed to do with nothing less than excellence. I understand that some of these adjectives do not usually go with each other but, I find the sound to be airy, well separated, relaxed, fun, analytical, and articulate.

Bass- very much present but well-controlled with no bleeding. It’s thumpy (when needed), tight, fun, and punchy! Note that I am not a bass head but definitely enjoy a thumpy, punchy, and tight bass when it’s needed! 😊

Mids- it’s all coherent and clear here. Both, male and female vocals sound natural, lush, and full-bodied. It's not a mid-forward or mid-dominating presentation but it is a more natural, better-balanced representation with respect to the treble and bass. After hearing the sound over this Grandioso cable, I think it does better justice to the mids than the stock cable. The vocals are definitely ‘more present’ now when one considers the entire sound spectrum being heard. Surely though, there would be IEMs that have more forward vocals in comparison thus letting one hear some more intricacies of the vocals. If someone asks me for a negative aspect of the Trio, I’d say this is perhaps the only and very slight negative.

Highs- energetic, airy, extended, and revealing highs but never harsh, sibilant, or fatiguing (at least on this chain). One could say they’re rounded and hence not piercing. Overall, treble is very well represented. The Trio already does an excellent job here and the Grandioso cable just added some more oomph and airiness to it thus taking it to the next level. Even though the treble is improved and airier (as compared to the stock cable), I did not find it sibilant. I could say that it now reaches closer to the edge but still doesn't step over.

Separation- is very noticeable and much better with the Grandioso cable. I think the airiness helps here as each instrument/sound is now clearer and better separated than it was with the stock cable.

Conclusion- This is an excellent chain and one that can be enjoyed for a long time. It sounds very natural and complete while being very well-separated and detailed but fun and non-fatiguing at the same time. I could throw any kind of music at it and be assured that it will handle it with ease and finesse.

RS6-Trio.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #2,720 of 3,175
@Joe Bloggs Is there any plan for Android version upgrade? Android 9 is getting obsolete. Also any plan for Roon Ready? FiiO is doing it.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #2,721 of 3,175
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #2,722 of 3,175
@Joe Bloggs Is there any plan for Android version upgrade? Android 9 is getting obsolete. Also any plan for Roon Ready? FiiO is doing it.

+1 for Roon Ready. As a Roon user, that is becoming the distinguishing feature for my DAP wish list. It's nice to see someone other than Astell & Kern joining the club.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,724 of 3,175
Updated to latest firmware. Didn't really like the new HDR, the vocals seem more distant and less intimate to me.

Also is there some way to use hiby cast without being on the same wifi network? Hiby cast will be super useful when in transit/commuting rather than being stationary in 1 place with wifi.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #2,726 of 3,175
When you say new firmware, what is the version number and where is it found? My RS6 is insisting 1.50G is the latest...

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #2,727 of 3,175
@Joe Bloggs can you explain this HDR feature and what it does?
+1, is this something like DSEE? Or maybe it’s that update that comes with the other color RS6. Always find the technicalities behind new features interesting!

Edit: First listen on Zen Pro, it almost sounds like a loudness control. Or at least a similar effect.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #2,728 of 3,175
@Joe Bloggs can you explain this HDR feature and what it does?
It stems from an observed property of the R2R network used, that it is more accurate in the higher registers. We then used a proprietary method to keep the DAC in these higher registers even while effectively outputting the same signal, to enhance the measurable dynamic range of the unit, and extend this performance further into the territory of lower input signals. So quiet passages of music should sound cleaner than ever.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #2,729 of 3,175
It stems from an observed property of the R2R network used, that it is more accurate in the higher registers. We then used a proprietary method to keep the DAC in these higher registers even while effectively outputting the same signal, to enhance the measurable dynamic range of the unit, and extend this performance further into the territory of lower input signals. So quiet passages of music should sound cleaner than ever.
Hey Joe, is this feature coming to RS8?

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #2,730 of 3,175
Hey Joe, is this feature coming to RS8?
There are certain tradeoffs involved in this mode. We don't see the Darwin gen 2 architecture of the RS8 as requiring this extra boost of dynamic range at the cost of [ ]. Or rather, this trick may not yield extra DR on the Darwin gen 2 architecture (which will have more DR regardless) in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back