HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 21, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,381 of 3,177
Total agreement with you but there’s no official news on Hiby future dap.
I think they will wait some months and RS6 help them to test the market.
For sure, I'd say second quarter 2022. If they're planning anything we should hear by then.

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,382 of 3,177
For RS6 and vocal lovers I suggest to try Aroma Star, I can’t believe it’s a single BA.🤩

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,383 of 3,177
So is there a consensus for OS vs NOS? I've been an R2R fan for a while but have preferred it with OS done right which should allow less aggressive post filtering. R2R errors tend to be more about amplitude and d/s more about time. At some point, when errors are small enough the differences should become negligible and execution the bigger variable. There's an inherent solidity to R2R but I won't say I've never heard that from D/S. A lot will have to do with what they're fed.

At this stage OS seems to be only be applied to MQA,which is weird as MQA normally is a very restrictive and close environment.

I've tried to compare OS for the MQA file, vs same file red book vs same file upsample to the same resolution RS6 OS the MQA file and my preference is as follows:
Redbook OS to 16FS>>MQA OS>>>same album DXD>redbook.

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,384 of 3,177
At this stage OS seems to be only be applied to MQA,which is weird as MQA normally is a very restrictive and close environment.

I've tried to compare OS for the MQA file, vs same file red book vs same file upsample to the same resolution RS6 OS the MQA file and my preference is as follows:
That is weird.

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,386 of 3,177
I am abit lost with this IEM talk, as I don't delve into IEMs, but I would like to share my HP set-up. Recently I just got my LCD-4z back for the 2021 refresh from Audeze, and have been testing it with the HiBy RS6. I use a 28 AWG balanced silver cable to accentuate the highs a bit.

I have to say, what a delightful combo this is. I use MSEB eq to tame some of the harshnesses on the focal elegia, whereas in 4z I tune it to have more engagement, mainly to increase the definition in the leading edge of notes. The HiBy provides more than enough power, especially in balanced mode. Tonal balance is good, the soundstage is sufficiently wide, and a good quantity of slam is there too. the MSEB EQ ensures that I get great synergy with all my HPs.

On a side note, I think this is where 4z has its value proposition. Where the 5 shines with desktop set-up and 4z excels in the portable HP scene. The copper is also a nice visual match between the DAP and the HP grilles.

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-22 at 16.25.09.jpeg

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #1,387 of 3,177

Are you referring to the numbers shown on top of the screen?

Please note that in cases where this number is higher than the sample rate of the file (such as in the case of MQA), that indicates that the data has been upsampled by the main CPU, before reaching the DAC. This is necessary, in the case of MQA, to carry out the CPU-intensive "informed upsampling" specified by the origami algorithm.

In the case of oversampling being engaged by the system, all data, MQA or otherwise, is oversampled to 16x 44.1 or 48kHz, depending only on which family (44.1x or 48x kHz) the original sample rate belongs to. This is done by the Darwin controller, which has the various oversampling options choosable ("Darwin 1" to "Darwin 10") as well as the various harmonics settings advertised, available. This is of course also a sophisticated process in and of itself, but still, this module is not compatible with the origami algorithm that MQA requires. Hence why MQA is upsampled to 705.6 / 768kHz before the DAC, while everything else is oversampled to 705.6 / 768kHz AT the DAC.

Now, I'm not sure how the > sign is being used here, but if, as with mathematics, it denotes that the left side is greater than the right side, that suggests to me that you could benefit from exploring some of the other Darwin presets available on our player.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 22, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #1,389 of 3,177
I was reading this article re the RS6…

https://www.androidbrick.com/hiby-rs6-with-r-2r-dac/

And this caught my eye:
09E41E1C-A9EA-4F23-9D45-C29099B08E98.jpeg

How do I access AirPlay on the RS6? Is it just a third-party app from the Playstore? My R3Pro Saber has AirPlay built into the OS and it would be nice if the RS6 did also.

I’m new to Android stuff (never owned an Android phone) so I assume it won’t do AirPlay but maybe you can educate me…

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,390 of 3,177
Are you referring to the numbers shown on top of the screen?

Please note that in cases where this number is higher than the sample rate of the file (such as in the case of MQA), that indicates that the data has been upsampled by the main CPU, before reaching the DAC. This is necessary, in the case of MQA, to carry out the CPU-intensive "informed upsampling" specified by the origami algorithm.

In the case of oversampling being engaged by the system, all data, MQA or otherwise, is oversampled to 16x 44.1 or 48kHz, depending only on which family (44.1x or 48x kHz) the original sample rate belongs to. This is done by the Darwin controller, which has the various oversampling options choosable ("Darwin 1" to "Darwin 10") as well as the various harmonics settings advertised, available. This is of course also a sophisticated process in and of itself, but still, this module is not compatible with the origami algorithm that MQA requires. Hence why MQA is upsampled to 705.6 / 768kHz before the DAC, while everything else is oversampled to 705.6 / 768kHz AT the DAC.

Now, I'm not sure how the > sign is being used here, but if, as with mathematics, it denotes that the left side is greater than the right side, that suggests to me that you could benefit from exploring some of the other Darwin presets available on our player.
Damn, I'd love to play with the tech on one of these but am not really looking to buy a DAP right now. Of course, once you hear it... LOL. Not like everyone will like the same settings but I suspect many aren't yet getting the most this player has to offer.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,393 of 3,177
I understand the presets and what they can do but suspect people but their IEMs because they like the given character though it's always great to have options.
Something else available is time domain correction for multidriver units but it's still limited as they can't make them work together any better at share frequencies. What might be great to do here is for Hiby to come out with a multi driver IEM, make sure they have great time domain at the shared frequencies while keeping drivers in optimum ranges and take care of the rest (EQ and overall phase) with the plugin. Sort of a dedicated IEM or maybe with a switch for universal use vs dedicated Hiby Darwin use.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,394 of 3,177

Users who are viewing this thread

Back