HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Mar 13, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #2,821 of 3,168
I've had more usage of my RS6 than any other DAP I own. It form and UI and tonality has made it my new reference. This is what I expect a modern DAP to be able to do.

RS8 is a indeed a leap over RS6 but I can't say necessiarly it is better as what we gain in RS8 in terms of soundstage, we loss the vocal warmth and intimacy we hear on RS6.
Would you say that RS6 has a more liquid, lush sound than RS8?

Mar 25, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #2,825 of 3,168
Im intensely enjoying the Hiby RS6, and let say coming from RS2 the sound quality is uber Huge.and well, DAP size and weight too!
natural dense yet transparent enough timbre, spot on tone, 3D holographic spatiality where your put in middle of music, not far away of it, excellent bass response-bodied, textured, super well define both in presence and body....not sub roll off in fact perhaps slight boost. everything feel effortless and at same time engaging with the RS6, but your not forced to be engage like with more agressive or bright DAP, its sens of fullness and dynamic rendering that captivate and well, layering and resolution capacity is top notch too and can even be push with HDR mode (High Dynamic range)....their alot of sound tweak possibilities, its near overwhelming. I don't use streaming so can't comment on that.
this is a loan unit, which i have no obligation to review or share about but I feel I need to because this is truely an excellent sounding DAP with alot to offer.
I would call this DAP lush neutral with sligth bass and mids boost and full sounding yet smooth treble. its not dark nor too warm and i havent test line out yet, which will perhaps scale up high fidelity potential because with RS2, it was night and day difference when paired with cleaner amp for ex. RS2 is warmer darker stock.

334016156_768401381559866_3803680051549140059_n.jpg

333148562_884052006232962_200801869259762162_n.jpg

Mar 26, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #2,826 of 3,168
Im intensely enjoying the Hiby RS6, and let say coming from RS2 the sound quality is uber Huge.and well, DAP size and weight too!
natural dense yet transparent enough timbre, spot on tone, 3D holographic spatiality where your put in middle of music, not far away of it, excellent bass response-bodied, textured, super well define both in presence and body....not sub roll off in fact perhaps slight boost. everything feel effortless and at same time engaging with the RS6, but your not forced to be engage like with more agressive or bright DAP, its sens of fullness and dynamic rendering that captivate and well, layering and resolution capacity is top notch too and can even be push with HDR mode (High Dynamic range)....their alot of sound tweak possibilities, its near overwhelming. I don't use streaming so can't comment on that.
this is a loan unit, which i have no obligation to review or share about but I feel I need to because this is truely an excellent sounding DAP with alot to offer.
I would call this DAP lush neutral with sligth bass and mids boost and full sounding yet smooth treble. its not dark nor too warm and i havent test line out yet, which will perhaps scale up high fidelity potential because with RS2, it was night and day difference when paired with cleaner amp for ex. RS2 is warmer darker stock.
Nice, I would be very interested to read your comments on the line out performance, specially compared to other DAPs using the same external amp. :wink:

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #2,827 of 3,168
Nice, I would be very interested to read your comments on the line out performance, specially compared to other DAPs using the same external amp. :wink:
yeah i will, my leanest cleanest more transparent amp is the SMSL SH9, its a good ''tool'' for judging DAC capacity...perhaps i will give a try today and share here!
but i cant test balanced line out...since we need a 4.4mm to XLR cable.

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #2,828 of 3,168
Received a Focal Bathys wireless HP yesterday and was excited to pair it with my trusty RS6. I (incorrectly) assumed because Qualcomm states AptX Adaptive (as used by Bathys) is backwards compatible with AptX HD (as used by RS6) that the pairing would allow 24 bit / 48 kHz BT streaming, but it does not. Bathys is only streaming from RS6 at 16 / 48, somewhat disappointing although it still sounds quite good. I confirmed in RS6 developer options that RS6 reverts to 16 bit with this pairing, and I also tried a handy android utility (Bluetooth Codec Changer app.) which also only shows Bathys as capable of standard 16 Bit AptX from RS6. My conclusion is that the supposed "backwards compatibility" of AptX Adaptive with AptX HD is that it will work, but not in the best 24 bit quality even though both devices can support.

Any suggestions to workaround this 16 bit rather than 24 bit streaming issue would be welcomed. @Joe Bloggs if implementation of AptX Adaptive with an upcoming RS6 Firmware update were possible that would be a GREAT solution and value-added to the RS6. :pray: :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #2,829 of 3,168
Received a Focal Bathys wireless HP yesterday and was excited to pair it with my trusty RS6. I (incorrectly) assumed because Qualcomm states AptX Adaptive (as used by Bathys) is backwards compatible with AptX HD (as used by RS6) that the pairing would allow 24 bit / 48 kHz BT streaming, but it does not. Bathys is only streaming from RS6 at 16 / 48, somewhat disappointing although it still sounds quite good. I confirmed in RS6 developer options that RS6 reverts to 16 bit with this pairing, and I also tried a handy android utility (Bluetooth Codec Changer app.) which also only shows Bathys as capable of standard 16 Bit AptX from RS6. My conclusion is that the supposed "backwards compatibility" of AptX Adaptive with AptX HD is that it will work, but not in the best 24 bit quality even though both devices can support.

Any suggestions to workaround this 16 bit rather than 24 bit streaming issue would be welcomed. @Joe Bloggs if implementation of AptX Adaptive with an upcoming RS6 Firmware update were possible that would be a GREAT solution and value-added to the RS6. :pray: :smile_phones:
Unfortunately I think it is falling back to vanilla aptX when it comes to being "backwards compatible". Both the fact that aptX adaptive cannot actually transmit at the rates of aptX HD, and the reported bitness, suggest this. Unfortunately aptX is rather more hardware dependent than, say, LDAC, so I don't know that this can be the target of a firmware update.

1680075827229.png

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 29, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #2,830 of 3,168
Unfortunately I think it is falling back to vanilla aptX when it comes to being "backwards compatible". Both the fact that aptX adaptive cannot actually transmit at the rates of aptX HD, and the reported bitness, suggest this. Unfortunately aptX is rather more hardware dependent than, say, LDAC, so I don't know that this can be the target of a firmware update.
Do I understand correctly that there is no Aptx Adaptive support at the hardware level in RS6, so it is impossible to implement it?

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #2,831 of 3,168
Do I understand correctly that there is no Aptx Adaptive support at the hardware level in RS6, so it is impossible to implement it?
I'm not saying it's impossible, but I've just been informed that currently they see no path to implementing it on the RS6. If the software situation changes (like how LDAC was incorporated into Android, or any other way in which Qualcomm decides to somewhat untie the codec from black box hardware) it may become possible in the future.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 30, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #2,832 of 3,168
I'm not saying it's impossible, but I've just been informed that currently they see no path to implementing it on the RS6. If the software situation changes (like how LDAC was incorporated into Android, or any other way in which Qualcomm decides to somewhat untie the codec from black box hardware) it may become possible in the future.
Understood.. but one can dream, @Joe Bloggs. Until dreams com true can I use an Aptx Adaptive BT dongle like the one below into RS6 USB C port to transmit RS6 output to BT headphones or is RS6 output only via the headphone and line out jacks?

BT Dongle.jpg

Attachments

• BT Dongle.jpg
    BT Dongle.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #2,833 of 3,168
Understood.. but one can dream, @Joe Bloggs. Until dreams com true can I use an Aptx Adaptive BT dongle like the one below into RS6 USB C port to transmit RS6 output to BT headphones or is RS6 output only via the headphone and line out jacks?

BT Dongle.jpg
Hi LoryWiv,

Yes you can, that should just look like an outboard USB DAC to the RS6 and that is well supported.

Cheers,
Joe

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #2,834 of 3,168
Hi LoryWiv,

Yes you can, that should just look like an outboard USB DAC to the RS6 and that is well supported.

Cheers,
Joe
Thank you so much, @Joe Bloggs! From a sound quality perspective, would you recommend connecting the BT dongle this way to RS6 via USB C or would 3.5 line out connection be preferable? One of the dongles I have does also permit 3.5 connection to DAP.

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #2,835 of 3,168
Thank you so much, @Joe Bloggs! From a sound quality perspective, would you recommend connecting the BT dongle this way to RS6 via USB C or would 3.5 line out connection be preferable? One of the dongles I have does also permit 3.5 connection to DAP.
In that case how about wiring your headphones directly to the DAP? 😅

I think connecting the dongle to the USB port should yield higher quality, by avoiding an analog-digital conversion in the dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back