HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
May 19, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,311 of 3,177
@Joe Bloggs Can you tell me about the procedure for creating customized presets for IEM? I can contact Lime Ears and try to arrange with them to create such presets, but I need to know the whole process before I offer them something. First of all, I'm interested in the Aether R, Pneuma, Model X and Anima presets. And I need to know what HiBy thinks about it, maybe they are not interested, who knows?

BTW, Lime Ears is something like a boutique company, but they make great IEMs that I like even more in terms of nuances than the IEMs of the advertised mass brands. I think it would be beneficial for both HiBy and Lime Ears.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #2,312 of 3,177
Wondering if anyone else has issues with Tidal offline playback on the RS6?

Streaming Tidal on WiFi either in the native app, HiBy Music app or UAPP works OK, but trying to listen to anything I've downloaded to play when offline is an exercise in frustration.

First issue is that when I press play on a track it will take at least 30 seconds, sometimes several minutes before playback actually starts. Sometimes it takes so long I give up, force-kill the app, and restart the RS6. After that, it still takes 30 seconds or so before anything will play.

Second issue I have is playback of anything that is Tidal "Master" quality. Every album or track I've downloaded plays back with pops, clicks and stutters to the point that it is very quickly unlistenable. HiFi quality downloads are fine (once they start playing), and streaming Master quality downloads over WiFi works ok (and sounds fantastic btw).

Not sure if these are Tidal app issues or what, but I've not experienced this with Tidal on any other device. Then again those are both iOS and the locked-down A&K SR25, so is it maybe Tidal just doesn't work properly on open Android?

Or is it the HiBy OS itself?

Anyway, I got to thinking about this from a post in the Tidal thread about other issues on HiBy R8, so I know it's not just me.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tidal-lossless-streaming.733233/post-16969120

May 21, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #2,313 of 3,177
Wondering if anyone else has issues with Tidal offline playback on the RS6?

Streaming Tidal on WiFi either in the native app, HiBy Music app or UAPP works OK, but trying to listen to anything I've downloaded to play when offline is an exercise in frustration.

First issue is that when I press play on a track it will take at least 30 seconds, sometimes several minutes before playback actually starts. Sometimes it takes so long I give up, force-kill the app, and restart the RS6. After that, it still takes 30 seconds or so before anything will play.

Second issue I have is playback of anything that is Tidal "Master" quality. Every album or track I've downloaded plays back with pops, clicks and stutters to the point that it is very quickly unlistenable. HiFi quality downloads are fine (once they start playing), and streaming Master quality downloads over WiFi works ok (and sounds fantastic btw).

Not sure if these are Tidal app issues or what, but I've not experienced this with Tidal on any other device. Then again those are both iOS and the locked-down A&K SR25, so is it maybe Tidal just doesn't work properly on open Android?

Or is it the HiBy OS itself?

Anyway, I got to thinking about this from a post in the Tidal thread about other issues on HiBy R8, so I know it's not just me.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tidal-lossless-streaming.733233/post-16969120
Probably a Tidal Problem. I use Qobuz and have no Problems.

May 21, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #2,314 of 3,177
@Joe Bloggs Can you tell me about the procedure for creating customized presets for IEM? I can contact Lime Ears and try to arrange with them to create such presets, but I need to know the whole process before I offer them something. First of all, I'm interested in the Aether R, Pneuma, Model X and Anima presets. And I need to know what HiBy thinks about it, maybe they are not interested, who knows?

BTW, Lime Ears is something like a boutique company, but they make great IEMs that I like even more in terms of nuances than the IEMs of the advertised mass brands. I think it would be beneficial for both HiBy and Lime Ears.
They need to be interested in the process to the extent of contacting us. What we basically need is a confirmed member of their company contacting us, e.g. me here via pm. The next steps need to be arranged between us and them but aren't that hard.

That's if you want a Darwin preset dedicated to those earphones. There's also the option of convolution presets for earphones, which they can make without our direct input / I can also make without their direct input. By the way, some bugs have been ironed out in the convolution module so AutoEQ preset wavs can now be used directly @rlw6534 etc.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #2,315 of 3,177
By the way, some bugs have been ironed out in the convolution module so AutoEQ preset wavs can now be used directly @rlw6534 etc.

Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

Edit:

Finally convolution is working on my original R5. I'll try it on others later. Thanks for the persistence @Joe Bloggs !!! I've been using JamesDSP, but it isn't a solution for everybody, root and all.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #2,316 of 3,177
They need to be interested in the process to the extent of contacting us. What we basically need is a confirmed member of their company contacting us, e.g. me here via pm. The next steps need to be arranged between us and them but aren't that hard.

That's if you want a Darwin preset dedicated to those earphones. There's also the option of convolution presets for earphones, which they can make without our direct input / I can also make without their direct input. By the way, some bugs have been ironed out in the convolution module so AutoEQ preset wavs can now be used directly @rlw6534 etc.
Great, then I'll ask Lime Ears for their position. I already have some communication experience with member of their company, so it won't take too long.

Yes, I'm primarily interested in Darwin presets. I'll try to get the company interested as well. :)

May 21, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #2,317 of 3,177
Those battery life discussions here reminds me of Car Fuel Consumption and now battery mileage on electrics... Do anyone actually get the exact number the manufacturer provide? I neve got it...

Those numbers are really specific test condition and may never represent real life use. :relieved:

May 22, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #2,318 of 3,177
Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

Edit:

Finally convolution is working on my original R5. I'll try it on others later. Thanks for the persistence @Joe Bloggs !!! I've been using JamesDSP, but it isn't a solution for everybody, root and all.

@Joe Bloggs

Actually I am still getting some clicking sounds using convolution with autoeq wav files on my R5. Much better but still there at times. Oh well.

May 23, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #2,319 of 3,177
@Joe Bloggs

Actually I am still getting some clicking sounds using convolution with autoeq wav files on my R5. Much better but still there at times. Oh well.
This with a delete of the convolver plugin (both from the list of active plugins and then from the local plugin repo) and then downloading the new version off the server and installing?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 23, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #2,320 of 3,177
This with a delete of the convolver plugin (both from the list of active plugins and then from the local plugin repo) and then downloading the new version off the server and installing?

I didn't delete the old one first but it upgraded to the new version. I also did a reboot as it crashed the first time I loaded an IRS, which was what was happening before. I'll try again with the delete and reboot after each step. I haven't tried on my R6 2020 yet so it could be specific to the R5.

Note that I have JamesDSP working on both, so it's not a big issue. I just figured I would test if it was fixed.

Update:

Deleting the plugin and reinstalling seems to have fixed it (with reboots in between). I guess I dorked it somehow the first time.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #2,321 of 3,177
Maybe someone knows: besides power, is there any difference in sound between 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm ports? I don't have a balanced cable because my IEMs are quite sensitive, but if the 4.4 port implemented is much better, then maybe it makes sense to buy a balanced cable.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #2,322 of 3,177
Maybe someone knows: besides power, is there any difference in sound between 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm ports? I don't have a balanced cable because my IEMs are quite sensitive, but if the 4.4 port implemented is much better, then maybe it makes sense to buy a balanced cable.
There is higher SNR and lower distortion (relative to the maximum signal output) on balanced, and higher crosstalk rejection. On the flip side, the absolute noise floor is higher (because the higher SNR is a higher noise floor relative to an even higher signal level).

May 24, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #2,323 of 3,177
There is higher SNR and lower distortion (relative to the maximum signal output) on balanced, and higher crosstalk rejection. On the flip side, the absolute noise floor is higher (because the higher SNR is a higher noise floor relative to an even higher signal level).
Perhaps I’ll stay at 3.5 mm for now, after all, 24 ohms and 114 dB do not require any extreme power. The gain middle and the volume of 33-36 are enough for me. Thanks for answer.

May 24, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #2,325 of 3,177
@Joe Bloggs And another question: does the use of a case greatly impair the ventilation of the RS6? I would be glad to know the answer if there is accurate information whether the case will damage the battery due to potentially higher temperatures.
The only way to tell is to take the player out of the case after a while of use and feel its temperature compared to a period of use without a case. And depending on the temperature of the places you're using it in, you can be anywhere from entirely fine with the case on to "are you sure you even want to listen to music in this weather? And you'd like to put a case on me? When you'd much rather run around butt naked yourself?"
😛

Users who are viewing this thread

Back