HiBy R8 User Impressions
May 30, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,597 of 3,161
I wouldn't worry about that.

It dropped 7 percent playing only Adel 25 with Legend X and the screen off all the time. WiFi was on I think. Legend X does take more power, but turbo was off and it was low gain.

It still sounds fabulous though with Legend X.

May 30, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,598 of 3,161
It dropped 7 percent playing only Adel 25 with Legend X and the screen off all the time. WiFi was on I think. Legend X does take more power, but turbo was off and it was low gain.

It still sounds fabulous though with Legend X.
It does indeed. I've never really fussed with the battery of any of my DAPs, even the lower capacity ones. When they need charging I charge them. I'm.never away from a charger for any length of time.

May 31, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #2,599 of 3,161
Hiss free listening with a 4.4 mm cable... :sweat_smile:

1C0A3422-3BCD-4386-AD34-967D233ED00B.jpeg

May 31, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #2,600 of 3,161
May 31, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #2,601 of 3,161
Hahaha….so many adapters!
Sadly ifi have steadfastly refused to make a 4.4mm IEMatch. Speaking of which, while I don't hear any hiss with the R8, I should give my IEMatch a try to see if there's any sound quality difference with my IEMs at the same volume level.

May 31, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #2,602 of 3,161
May 31, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #2,603 of 3,161
@iFi audio see, the hoops people jump through in absence of 4.4mm iematch :wink:
I got the impression that there was a 4.4 mm version in the works... There better be...

This is just a temporary solution until the 4.4 iematch is here. Which in turn will be a temporary solution until a hiss free R8 alternative is introduced :).

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #2,604 of 3,161
I got the impression that there was a 4.4 mm version in the works... There better be...

This is just a temporary solution until the 4.4 iematch is here. Which in turn will be a temporary solution until a hiss free R8 alternative is introduced :).
PSX_20210531_144000.jpg

Giving it a go, along with a gratuitously stylised phone pic. Not sure if it's my adapters or the IEMatch itself but the sound is plain weird compared to 'normal'. There's a tonal shift going on that on the one hand makes some softer sounds easier to hear but on the other adds a reverb to the vocals that make it sound like the singer is in a cave. Twisting and turning the thin looking IEMatch cable seems to get it more or less ok, but only in a certain position, so possibly a loose contact somewhere along this ridiculously long chain.

Bottom line, if it ain't broke (and it ain't for me), don't fix it.

PS. Volume match is about 15 notches up in high gain. Also, have to set the IEMatch to High, because it's unlistenable at the Ultra setting.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,605 of 3,161

Giving it a go, along with a gratuitously stylised phone pic. Not sure if it's my adapters or the IEMatch itself but the sound is plain weird compared to 'normal'. There's a tonal shift going on that on the one hand makes some softer sounds easier to hear but on the other adds a reverb to the vocals that make it sound like the singer is in a cave. Twisting and turning the thin looking IEMatch cable seems to get it more or less ok, but only in a certain position, so possibly a loose contact somewhere along this ridiculously long chain.

Bottom line, if it ain't broke (and it ain't for me), don't fix it.

PS. Volume match is about 15 notches up in high gain. Also, have to set the IEMatch to High, because it's unlistenable at the Ultra setting.
Where did you find that short 4.4 > 2.5 adapter?

Edit: never mind, found it..

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,607 of 3,161
We hope you're enjoying your Memorial Day weekend! Just a reminder that today is the last day of our ongoing sale—take a look at our collection before it's gone tomorrow 👀

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/holiday-sale (includes the R8 :))
I didn't have the opportunity to thank MusicTeck for the replacement of my R8.

The service was flawless and once I wrote them about my problem (the display went dead without no reason apparently) the response and the process was fast and effective.

Andrew took it personal in a great way sending me a replacement unit in just a couple of days without hesitation.

That's how you create loyal customers.! Thanks

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #2,608 of 3,161
@iFi audio see, the hoops people jump through in absence of 4.4mm iematch :wink:

Yes, I see, but photos like this one actually put a good kind of pressure on our R&D :wink:

On a side note, that's a nice snake :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 4, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,609 of 3,161
I’ve had the Hiby R8 for a couple of weeks now (thanks @bigbeans ). It is amazing. After using the DX300 and the Shanling M8, I’ve been incredibly impressed with the R8. It’s a perfect source for both my LCD-3 and my Sennheiser IE900.

Here is my pic of my ultimate portable setup with the R8 and the LCD-3. The R8 is the only high-end powerful player that fits in the front pocket!

image.jpg

The C9 does improve things, but not enough for me to realize how special that portable combo is (R8 + LCD-3)

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #2,610 of 3,161
I’ve had the Hiby R8 for a couple of weeks now (thanks @bigbeans ). It is amazing. After using the DX300 and the Shanling M8, I’ve been incredibly impressed with the R8. It’s a perfect source for both my LCD-3 and my Sennheiser IE900.

Here is my pic of my ultimate portable setup with the R8 and the LCD-3. The R8 is the only high-end powerful player that fits in the front pocket!

image.jpg
The C9 does improve things, but not enough for me to realize how special that portable combo is (R8 + LCD-3)
Nice! I might be going in the opposite direction.. I ordered a DX300. Looking forward to the comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back