HiBy R8 User Impressions
Feb 22, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #2,326 of 3,161
My one does get warm too. But im steaming amazon hd with wifi on. High gain and turbo on. So pretty much max load.

Though it might get annoying during summer. I dont see it being a worry now. Its not something you can fry eggs on.

Mind you i am having an auto-reboot issue with my unit. Wether that something to do with temps i dont know. But i would imagine temps internally should be far from throttling level. Letcalone reboot.
Unless there is a faulty thermostat/sensor or something.

Hiby and hifigo are very resposive in this matter so i am waiting for suggestions pretty soon.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,327 of 3,161
My one does get warm too. But im steaming amazon hd with wifi on. High gain and turbo on. So pretty much max load.

Though it might get annoying during summer. I dont see it being a worry now. Its not something you can fry eggs on.

Mind you i am having an auto-reboot issue with my unit. Wether that something to do with temps i dont know. But i would imagine temps internally should be far from throttling level. Letcalone reboot.
Unless there is a faulty thermostat/sensor or something.

Hiby and hifigo are very resposive in this matter so i am waiting for suggestions pretty soon.
Good description in terms of not being egg-frying heat, though it is still warmer than other players or phones I have used.

Out of interest have you tried the factory reset from the Android recovery screen?

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,328 of 3,161
Good description in terms of not being egg-frying heat, though it is still warmer than other players or phones I have used.

Out of interest have you tried the factory reset from the Android recovery screen?
Yeh i did try FR. And 2 reboot followed in the next hour after haha.

I do have a bad feeling that it is not software related...

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2,329 of 3,161
Hi all. I wanted to mention an issue which occurred recently with my R8 - which may or may not be heat related - and to check if anyone has experienced something similar.

I typically listen to IEMs on low gain, no turbo, volume around 36-40. In other words, not a particular heavy load. On several occasions, after a listening session, the screen would stop working. That is, music would still play but when I tried to unlock the screen (either with the power button or double tap) nothing would happen. I would need to do a hard reset (holding power and skip / next) after which it would work again.

Then on the weekend, the same thing happened after a session, but this time a hard reset did not help. I did it several times and could tell it was resetting as the side light would flash on and off accordingly, but the screen remained blank and unresponsive. I wanted to do a factory reset as per the steps in this thread, but to do that you need to do a graceful "restart" which I was unable to do with a non-functioning screen. This remained the case throughout Saturday and I contacted to the retailer to advise about a possible RMA.

The replied and suggested the factory reset. Upon waking up on Sunday, the screen was working again. I proceeded to do a full factory reset from the Android recovery screen. I ran several test cases and, touch wood, it has been stable. Should the issue reoccur, I will be sending it back for repair or replacement.

In regard to heat, my R8 gets very warm when playing; not burn-your-finger hot, but still noticeably warm. I spoke to @gLer who recommended monitoring the temps. Using the suggested app I monitored battery, CPU, and SOC. Below some findings:

- After the factory reset, I used the player for about 2 hours with my HD800, turbo mode on, as a form of stress test. Temps were 52 / 52 / 48.
- I switched to easy-to-drive single ended IEMs and after about 30 minutes, temps went down to 45 / 45 / 42.
- I stopped playing and left the player idle; after 15 minutes temps were 40 / 42 / 38.
- After another hour of being idle they came down to 28 / 28 / 26.
- In the evening I recreated how I was using the R8 when the issue happened – Fourte Noir connected balanced, low gain, no turbo, volume 38. After 1.5 hours the temps were 47 / 47 / 45.
- I put a fan on in the room and continued to play for another hour, and temps were hovering around 37 / 44 / 43.

Not sure if anyone knows what the acceptable / expected temperate ranges are - @Joe Bloggs can you perhaps help?

I can speculate that the screen malfunction glitch is due to heat but that is just an assumption; it may be totally unrelated and instead due to something else like a software / OS bug. I will keep a close eye on this over the next few weeks and holding thumbs that it does not reoccur.

Having said that, I am hoping it is not heat related. I would think it reasonable to expect a player of this stature and price to be able to play IEMs on low gain without turbo for an hour or two without the screen failing.
Hi xenithon,

If this happens again and cannot be resolved, do send it in for repair. This would not be a heat related problem

Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 22, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #2,330 of 3,161
@Joe Bloggs,

Did you see all the above posts about the Max battery setting not working? Is it supposed to stop charging or is it supposed to give a notification that we all missed?

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #2,331 of 3,161
For the issue with the charge limit not being observed, are these with the unit powered on or off? As it would not be observed while unit is powered off, as of now.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 22, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #2,332 of 3,161
For the issue with the charge limit not being observed, are these with the unit powered on or off? As it would not be observed while unit is powered off, as of now.

I left mine on when charging and the charge went to 100% with 90% set as Max.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #2,333 of 3,161

I see, so the unit must be on when charging, to have that feature activated. I always charge when it’s turned off so I guess that’s why I still get 100% after limiting to 90%.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #2,334 of 3,161
I see, so the unit must be on when charging, to have that feature activated. I always charge when it’s turned off so I guess that’s why I still get 100% after limiting to 90%.

I got 100% after limiting it to 90% and that was with the unit on.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #2,335 of 3,161
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #2,339 of 3,161
I anyone can check as well.
Listening music with screen turned off, pressing “play” button I can pause music. If I will press again within short time (let’s say, less than in 5 second), music resume to play. But if I will pause it for some longer time, pressing “play” did not resume music.
Is it only mine R8?

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,340 of 3,161
I anyone can check as well.
Listening music with screen turned off, pressing “play” button I can pause music. If I will press again within short time (let’s say, less than in 5 second), music resume to play. But if I will pause it for some longer time, pressing “play” did not resume music.
Is it only mine R8?
Which app? Works fine with UAPP. Also...just re-tested my R8 charging limit with various scenarios (screen on/off, playing/not playing) and it seems to be working now. Once charge hits 81%, red light goes off and charging stops. If it's playing music, it won't trickle charge even though the power cable is still plugged in. Not sure what's changed but seems to be ok now, which is good as this is an important feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back