HiBy R8 User Impressions
Feb 20, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #2,311 of 3,161
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #2,312 of 3,161
Charged the R8 and it shows 100% on the battery. I checked my settings and it was still set to 90% for Max battery.

Is this a bug?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #2,313 of 3,161
Hey guys, just doing a sanity check on R8 CPU and battery temps. Here's a screenshot from a free app called DevCheck that shows my CPU, SoC and battery temps. This is with the R8 playing local flacs to balanced IEMs, high gain, Turbo, Vol 50 (I'm not listening at this level, just for the test!).

Screenshot_20210221-102731.png

All temps seem to be in range. If you're able, please DL the app here and let me know what your temps are?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.devcheck

Also, if you have any tech knowledge, what's a safe temp for battery/CPU under load given the R8 would presumably get hotter than a phone with its huge battery and dual desktop DACs.

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,314 of 3,161
Hey guys, just doing a sanity check on R8 CPU and battery temps. Here's a screenshot from a free app called DevCheck that shows my CPU, SoC and battery temps. This is with the R8 playing local flacs to balanced IEMs, high gain, Turbo, Vol 50 (I'm not listening at this level, just for the test!).

Screenshot_20210221-102731.png

All temps seem to be in range. If you're able, please DL the app here and let me know what your temps are?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.devcheck

Also, if you have any tech knowledge, what's a safe temp for battery/CPU under load given the R8 would presumably get hotter than a phone with its huge battery and dual desktop DACs.

Thanks!

I am getting around 43-44 C while playing. While charging it goes up to 49 easily and stops charging once it hits 50.

AFAIK, ideally the battery should be below 40 C for longer lifespan.

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,315 of 3,161
I am getting around 43-44 C while playing. While charging it goes up to 49 easily and stops charging once it hits 50.

AFAIK, ideally the battery should be below 40 C for longer lifespan.
That's the thing, there's no way the battery temps drop below 40C during normal playback, usually rising to around 45C. CPU I've seen spike up to 65C, but usually hovers around 40-45C. Hopefully this is all within spec and the player itself + case acts as a heatsink.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #2,317 of 3,161
That's the thing, there's no way the battery temps drop below 40C during normal playback, usually rising to around 45C. CPU I've seen spike up to 65C, but usually hovers around 40-45C. Hopefully this is all within spec and the player itself + case acts as a heatsink.

Hopefully the custom ATL battery does have better endurance compared to normal batteries. I am more concerned on the ease of getting the battery replaced should it requires one in the future.

For CPU, it might be due to the CPU not dynamically adjusting it clock speed and instead was pegged to the full clock speed on all cores. At least that's what all of the system monitoring apps I run seems to report.

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #2,318 of 3,161
Charged the R8 and it shows 100% on the battery. I checked my settings and it was still set to 90% for Max battery.

Is this a bug?
Possibly. I set mine to 85% and left it in to charge. When I went to check a few hours later it was already at 87% so I unplugged it.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #2,319 of 3,161
Possibly. I set mine to 85% and left it in to charge. When I went to check a few hours later it was already at 87% so I unplugged it.
Must be a bug. I set mine to 80% and it charged to 95% until I unplugged it. Not sure if it just gives a 'battery charged' message (similar to the low battery warning at 20%), but I wasn't there to check. Would be much more useful if it stopped charging at the set point. @Joe Bloggs maybe let us know?

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #2,320 of 3,161
Hi all. I wanted to mention an issue which occurred recently with my R8 - which may or may not be heat related - and to check if anyone has experienced something similar.

I typically listen to IEMs on low gain, no turbo, volume around 36-40. In other words, not a particular heavy load. On several occasions, after a listening session, the screen would stop working. That is, music would still play but when I tried to unlock the screen (either with the power button or double tap) nothing would happen. I would need to do a hard reset (holding power and skip / next) after which it would work again.

Then on the weekend, the same thing happened after a session, but this time a hard reset did not help. I did it several times and could tell it was resetting as the side light would flash on and off accordingly, but the screen remained blank and unresponsive. I wanted to do a factory reset as per the steps in this thread, but to do that you need to do a graceful "restart" which I was unable to do with a non-functioning screen. This remained the case throughout Saturday and I contacted to the retailer to advise about a possible RMA.

The replied and suggested the factory reset. Upon waking up on Sunday, the screen was working again. I proceeded to do a full factory reset from the Android recovery screen. I ran several test cases and, touch wood, it has been stable. Should the issue reoccur, I will be sending it back for repair or replacement.

In regard to heat, my R8 gets very warm when playing; not burn-your-finger hot, but still noticeably warm. I spoke to @gLer who recommended monitoring the temps. Using the suggested app I monitored battery, CPU, and SOC. Below some findings:

- After the factory reset, I used the player for about 2 hours with my HD800, turbo mode on, as a form of stress test. Temps were 52 / 52 / 48.
- I switched to easy-to-drive single ended IEMs and after about 30 minutes, temps went down to 45 / 45 / 42.
- I stopped playing and left the player idle; after 15 minutes temps were 40 / 42 / 38.
- After another hour of being idle they came down to 28 / 28 / 26.
- In the evening I recreated how I was using the R8 when the issue happened – Fourte Noir connected balanced, low gain, no turbo, volume 38. After 1.5 hours the temps were 47 / 47 / 45.
- I put a fan on in the room and continued to play for another hour, and temps were hovering around 37 / 44 / 43.

Not sure if anyone knows what the acceptable / expected temperate ranges are - @Joe Bloggs can you perhaps help?

I can speculate that the screen malfunction glitch is due to heat but that is just an assumption; it may be totally unrelated and instead due to something else like a software / OS bug. I will keep a close eye on this over the next few weeks and holding thumbs that it does not reoccur.

Having said that, I am hoping it is not heat related. I would think it reasonable to expect a player of this stature and price to be able to play IEMs on low gain without turbo for an hour or two without the screen failing.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #2,321 of 3,161
Perhaps
Hi all. I wanted to mention an issue which occurred recently with my R8 - which may or may not be heat related - and to check if anyone has experienced something similar.

I typically listen to IEMs on low gain, no turbo, volume around 36-40. In other words, not a particular heavy load. On several occasions, after a listening session, the screen would stop working. That is, music would still play but when I tried to unlock the screen (either with the power button or double tap) nothing would happen. I would need to do a hard reset (holding power and skip / next) after which it would work again.

Then on the weekend, the same thing happened after a session, but this time a hard reset did not help. I did it several times and could tell it was resetting as the side light would flash on and off accordingly, but the screen remained blank and unresponsive. I wanted to do a factory reset as per the steps in this thread, but to do that you need to do a graceful "restart" which I was unable to do with a non-functioning screen. This remained the case throughout Saturday and I contacted to the retailer to advise about a possible RMA.

The replied and suggested the factory reset. Upon waking up on Sunday, the screen was working again. I proceeded to do a full factory reset from the Android recovery screen. I ran several test cases and, touch wood, it has been stable. Should the issue reoccur, I will be sending it back for repair or replacement.

In regard to heat, my R8 gets very warm when playing; not burn-your-finger hot, but still noticeably warm. I spoke to @gLer who recommended monitoring the temps. Using the suggested app I monitored battery, CPU, and SOC. Below some findings:

- After the factory reset, I used the player for about 2 hours with my HD800, turbo mode on, as a form of stress test. Temps were 52 / 52 / 48.
- I switched to easy-to-drive single ended IEMs and after about 30 minutes, temps went down to 45 / 45 / 42.
- I stopped playing and left the player idle; after 15 minutes temps were 40 / 42 / 38.
- After another hour of being idle they came down to 28 / 28 / 26.
- In the evening I recreated how I was using the R8 when the issue happened – Fourte Noir connected balanced, low gain, no turbo, volume 38. After 1.5 hours the temps were 47 / 47 / 45.
- I put a fan on in the room and continued to play for another hour, and temps were hovering around 37 / 44 / 43.

Not sure if anyone knows what the acceptable / expected temperate ranges are - @Joe Bloggs can you perhaps help?

I can speculate that the screen malfunction glitch is due to heat but that is just an assumption; it may be totally unrelated and instead due to something else like a software / OS bug. I will keep a close eye on this over the next few weeks and holding thumbs that it does not reoccur.

Having said that, I am hoping it is not heat related. I would think it reasonable to expect a player of this stature and price to be able to play IEMs on low gain without turbo for an hour or two without the screen failing.

Perhaps it’s caused by a 3rd party app? Mine gets warm but not hot (high gain turbo on out of 4.4mm balanced). It only gets a bit hot if I play while charging, but not that hot (unlike the first time I got it).

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #2,322 of 3,161
My player is quite streamlined. I play local files 95% of the time and WiFi is off. I use UAPP for playback, Nova as a launcher, and Solid Explorer for file management. Nothing else installed or running.

What is clear is that the R8 likes airflow. Having a fan on in the room (or ideally blowing toward the R8) really helps - must be because the body acts as a heat sink and the moving air helps dissipate / move that heat away.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #2,323 of 3,161
Perhaps

Perhaps it’s caused by a 3rd party app? Mine gets warm but not hot (high gain turbo on out of 4.4mm balanced). It only gets a bit hot if I play while charging, but not that hot (unlike the first time I got it).

Now that you mentioned it, my first time experience was similar to yours. The player was so hot that I was worried if it was supposed to be this way. But after a few days, it seems to not be as hot although still quite warm. Definitely a lot warmer compared to my ZX507.

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #2,324 of 3,161
My player is quite streamlined. I play local files 95% of the time and WiFi is off. I use UAPP for playback, Nova as a launcher, and Solid Explorer for file management. Nothing else installed or running.
Have you tried using Hiby app instead? Just to compare whether the problem persists or not

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #2,325 of 3,161
Have you tried using Hiby app instead? Just to compare whether the problem persists or not
I have not, good question - may try that out at some point.

For now it is stable, and as per earlier post, temps seem to be fairly alright, in particular with a fan on. If the issue of the screen stopping to work reoccurs though the player will go back; it is not normal behaviour irrespective of the app, especially as the use-case is not particularly high load or high stress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back