HiBy R8 User Impressions
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #91 of 3,161
Feb 16, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #92 of 3,161
Bet it wont stop you from buying more daps.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #94 of 3,161
$2k seems a lot

+ MONTHLY SIMCARD charges.

Wonder if the audio will be better than R6 pro?

And if 4G will always be good enough for hi res streaming (say of 192k 24bit audio)

Is the screen bigger than R6 Pro? That would be cool.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #96 of 3,161
$2k seems a lot
$2K is way too much, particularly since this is HiBy's first attempt (that I'm aware of) at utilizing 4G. I think they should price it low and look at demand. If there's demand, get feedback, solve the inevitable issues (like electromagnetic interference, or network instability in certain countries), then refine the product and up the price once it's viable.

+ MONTHLY SIMCARD charges.
Monthly SIM might or might not apply. Google Fi, for instance, does allow for multiple data-only SIMs, but you have to be based in the US to take advantage. But yes, a consideration to take into account.

And if 4G will always be good enough for hi res streaming (say of 192k 24bit audio)
4G should always be good enough for HiRes streaming. At 3G, if you've got 2x2 MIMO, the theoretical maximum is 672 megabits per second. Though speeds may be closer to 42 megabits per second with UMTS, you still come in under the (rounded up, based on my estimates) 24 megabits per second a DSD 256 file would require for streaming (CDMA2000 limits are lower, at under 16 megabits per second, so DSD 128, at 11.5 megabits per second is still achievable). 4G, meanwhile, can get gigabit speeds, though 100 megabits streaming is closer to the achievable max while traveling. So, yes, 4G should be good for HiRes streaming, and for a 24-bit, 192kHz file, you should only need 5.2 megabits per second or so.

Is the screen bigger than R6 Pro? That would be cool.
No idea, but it would be. Bigger screens are in.

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #97 of 3,161
The R6 Pro sounded below average. This better sound a lot lot better.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #98 of 3,161
The R6 Pto sounded below average. This better sound a lot lot better.

While this thread is about the R8, can you expand a bit on this comment? Which DAPs in the R6 Pro price range would you say sound better? I only ask because I have an R6 Pro and am considering upgrading, but at 2K an R8 is out of my league

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #99 of 3,161
While this thread is about the R8, can you expand a bit on this comment? Which DAPs in the R6 Pro price range would you say sound better? I only ask because I have an R6 Pro and am considering upgrading, but at 2K an R8 is out of my league
For the record I completely disagree with @jmills8 regarding the R6 Pro. I use it with 64Audio U12t and it's sublime (the IEM/headphone is far more important than the dap when it comes to SQ). Unless he considers something like the A&K flagships or Cayin N8 "average", then I'd say the R6 Pro is there or thereabouts with DAPs in the $800 price range. If the R8 comes in at ~$2K I'd expect it to hit the levels of the A&K and Lotoo flagships with significantly more features (that are useful to me) than those DAPs have today. Heck the R6 Pro has more useful features (for me) than any of the Lotoo DAPs, A&K flagships or N8, Play Store, Plex and UAPP support for one, full 5GHz WiFi file management for another. If all you want from a dap is music, that's a different conversation entirely.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #100 of 3,161
For the record I completely disagree with @jmills8 regarding the R6 Pro. I use it with 64Audio U12t and it's sublime (the IEM/headphone is far more important than the dap when it comes to SQ). Unless he considers something like the A&K flagships or Cayin N8 "average", then I'd say the R6 Pro is there or thereabouts with DAPs in the $800 price range. If the R8 comes in at ~$2K I'd expect it to hit the levels of the A&K and Lotoo flagships with significantly more features (that are useful to me) than those DAPs have today. Heck the R6 Pro has more useful features (for me) than any of the Lotoo DAPs, A&K flagships or N8, Play Store, Plex and UAPP support for one, full 5GHz WiFi file management for another. If all you want from a dap is music, that's a different conversation entirely.
Well you a mid fi fan , hence M11. Me big boy hi fi N8. Plus you listen to Norah Jones , jezus help me. Then why drop Fiio ?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #102 of 3,161
Yes the U12t is very much a mid-fi IEM :p Good thing this isn't a competition, else I'd be worried.
It sure is if you bought a 4k iem. The jvc 10000 is even better.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #104 of 3,161
Feb 19, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #105 of 3,161
Hiby have earned my fandom. So.... Might get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back