Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Feb 17, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #3,046 of 4,000
Others may find the firmware file useful too: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y5seAzffqCYD7cUBVeRFjXpBbbcp2sjT

Save it to the r6pro's own storage, then open the firmware update app, tap the 3 dot menu on the upper right and choose Local update (or something like that) and select the file in the browser.

They haven't told me of any member that's down with the virus, thankfully.

Joe, thank you! I ran the update (for others reading, just choose the .zip, no need to extract) and paired my Nuarl N6 Pro TWS earbuds. Listening to music now

So this is very interesting... The R6 seems to have automatically chosen aptX - impressive... Now I can do a direct comparison, playing the exact same song from
1) the Hiby to the buds using Aptx
2) My iPhone to the buds using AAC

It says that the Bluetooth Audio Sampling rate is 44.1 kHz even when I pick a 24/192 FLAC in the Hiby Music app. But I have no idea if that's normal or not. I also noticed that there are multiple "Bluetooth AVRCP" versions (it's set to 1.4 default)

thanks again Joe

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #3,048 of 4,000
I'm currently stuck choosing between the r5 and the r6 pro. MQA doesn't matter for me as I plan to only listen to offline FLACs and DSD128, and as far as I know both units do native DSD playback. can anyone with both tell me which would be better? I like the look and the weight of the r6, but I also like the small size of the r5. I've heard that the r5 is a more "holographic" with it's soundstage, so how does the soundstage compare to the r6 pro? I listen to mostly EDM, and bands like Pink Floyd, Santana, Steely Dan, etc. if that helps with the sound signature. thanks in advance!

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #3,049 of 4,000
I'm currently stuck choosing between the r5 and the r6 pro. MQA doesn't matter for me as I plan to only listen to offline FLACs and DSD128, and as far as I know both units do native DSD playback. can anyone with both tell me which would be better? I like the look and the weight of the r6, but I also like the small size of the r5. I've heard that the r5 is a more "holographic" with it's soundstage, so how does the soundstage compare to the r6 pro? I listen to mostly EDM, and bands like Pink Floyd, Santana, Steely Dan, etc. if that helps with the sound signature. thanks in advance!

With global mseb, yoh could change eithdr sound to how you feel is correct.

On another note, anyone with competing devices notice the bass on the R6 Pro distorts? Only the bass.

I feel like there is something wrong with the R6 Pro distorting bass despite having a less than 1 impedance.

Depending on my headphones bass presence, my Usb-dacs sound better than straight out if the Hiby R6 Pro.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #3,050 of 4,000
...On another note, anyone with competing devices notice the bass on the R6 Pro distorts? Only the bass...
I haven't noticed that. May I ask what headphones/IEMs you're hearing this on? Single-ended or balanced output? Also, is it specific tracks, or 'all bassy tracks in general'? And how significant is the distortion?

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #3,051 of 4,000
I haven't noticed that. May I ask what headphones/IEMs you're hearing this on? Single-ended or balanced output? Also, is it specific tracks, or 'all bassy tracks in general'? And how significant is the distortion?

Thanks!

It seems most obvious from the 4.4 balanced output. When listening to my Shuoer EJ07.

They sound better from the single-ended even though they should be the same impedance output.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #3,052 of 4,000
It seems most obvious from the 4.4 balanced output. When listening to my Shuoer EJ07.

They sound better from the single-ended even though they should be the same impedance output.
But not with other cans/IEMs? Or just worst with your Shuoer? I'm just wondering if it's a synergy issue with those IEMs, or if you have a defective DAP? Also, do you have all the DSP settings turned off? It's not impossible that there's an interaction with something there and your IEMs.

This is a bummer for you. I've listened to my R6 Pro with several IEMs, as well as Utopia, Auteur, HEKv2, Ether 2, RAD-0 without hearing any distortion. So I don't think it's a general problem with this DAP. (Note that the Ether 2 have low impedance @ 16 Ohms.)

Stupid question: Cable issue?

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #3,053 of 4,000
Have the mseb and other stuff off. Even tried bitperfect on uapp.

Cable issue I'll try swapping it out.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #3,054 of 4,000

What does this distortion sound like?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 19, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #3,055 of 4,000
What does this distortion sound like?

If there are bassy tracks playing the bass distorts very unforgivingly. But my other setups do not do this with the tracks. The single-ended on the R6 Pro does not do it as much as the 4.4 output.

Oh, and not on high volumes.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #3,056 of 4,000
If there are bassy tracks playing the bass distorts very unforgivingly. But my other setups do not do this with the tracks. The single-ended on the R6 Pro does not do it as much as the 4.4 output.

Oh, and not on high volumes.
The bass distorts at low volumes but not high volumes? :confused:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #3,057 of 4,000
Gotta tell you, I was listening to some blues guitar music on my Audeze LCD-2’s connected to the balanced port on my R6 Pro and the sound was breathtaking. Just amazing

source was Tidal, some Masters but mostly just regular tracks. Custom cable but nothing too pricey. I can send the info on it if anyone cares

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #3,058 of 4,000
Gotta tell you, I was listening to some blues guitar music on my Audeze LCD-2’s connected to the balanced port on my R6 Pro and the sound was breathtaking. Just amazing

source was Tidal, some Masters but mostly just regular tracks. Custom cable but nothing too pricey. I can send the info on it if anyone cares
Are you saying this dap can run these ? Are these the sames as LCD-2C ? That's incredible if they can

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #3,059 of 4,000
Are you saying this dap can run these ? Are these the sames as LCD-2C ? That's incredible if they can
Oh my yes! The sound was amazing with the regular cable and truly incredible with a balanced cable. I doubt I’ll get a desktop headphone amp or a Hugo Chord. It already sounds so good

I hadn’t heard of the LCD-2c though so I couldn’t say on that

the Audeze’s were the first headphones I spent over $300 on. I happened to drive past a high end sound store ($30,000 speakers inside) and they had a whole display of high end headphones. I immediately fell in love with the LCD-2’s and couldn’t discern a difference with the higher priced -3 and -4

they had some other high end ones like Sennheiser 820’s (I think that was the model) for like $1,600 and up but they were uncomfortable for me and didn’t sound nearly as good to my novice ears

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #3,060 of 4,000
I actually listen to Pink Floyd DSD’s from my R6 Pro on JH Audio Lola’s and Audeze LCD 2’s. Amazing sound.

Be sure to stick the SD card in a laptop slot or card reader and. It’s way, way faster for copying many GB of files than by USB to the R6 itself. I’m probably gonna upgrade from a 512GB card to a 1TB soon

I love the ability to store offline Tidal and Qobuz music too. Not sure if this has changed but you needed a specific version of Tidal for the offline saves to be at full quality

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back