Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,396 of 4,000
Yes, all true, and I “liked” the post. But a different set of questions for those thinking about this DAP is (a) do you need a new DAP, (b) what features do you need, (c) what options exist that meet a and b, and (d) what price are you willing to pay for something that meets a and b. Seems that focusing on essentially that they should charge less misses the points about what is needed, what options exist, and what all of that is worth. But, I get it, less expensive for the same value is always better.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.
I have been following HiBy since the original R6 was announced a few years back and held off then because of "issues", probably the biggest of which for me was the output impedance debate. So I have been happily using my DX90, and occasionally my Plenue P1, while following the likes of the R6, X7, DX200, DX150, etc as they were announced and released. So you are right - I don't need a new DAP and I imagine that any improvements over my existing devices will not be night and day improvements. I do really like the design of the R6/R6 Pro and still am not ruling it out.

However, with the details just released on the M11 at nearly half the price of the R6 Pro and upcoming DX220 I can be much more patient.

Thanks for your thoughts on my post - value is always a very subjective thing and each person will have differing views.

Cheers,
Tim

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,397 of 4,000
For those that are still "on the fence" about buying an R6 Pro (well - I fell off the fence after getting sucker punched) with competitors announcing new models coming out in the next few months - it was a disappointment for me when HiBy basically offered us a non-discount (free case) to buy on the international release announcement.

I know that some of you have touted what a great deal it is even at the $799/$828 price point but let's have a short recap of HiBy's prior discounts offered:

Original R6 was a 20% discount
R3 was a 18% discount
W5 was a 45% discount

R6 Pro - ahhhh yes - let's increase the price by $29 then offer a $29 discount (3.5%) and a free case while our local customers still can purchase for approximately $650 USD equivalent... Joe Bloggs warned us not to expect anything significant but that was an understatement. All the rhetoric over that last several pages attempting to justify this differential pricing is just a bunch of baloney. From what I have seen in following many manufacturers over several years on the forums here I can't recall any other devices that had differential pricing like HiBy decided to do here.

Of course, we all understand that HiBy can choose to charge whatever they would like for their products and I have no issue there but I have to wonder if the changes from the R6 to the R6 Pro warrant the $229 price increase only for international customers?

And we also understand that nobody is forcing us to buy this or any other product for that matter.

So the bottom line of my post is for HiBy to reconsider their R6 Pro discount or even possibly offer special pricing for forums members here to be more in line with prior product release specials...

Would you rather sell 10,000 devices at $50 profit each or 1,000 devices at $200 profit each? Yes - one gives you a much better profit margin but the other gives you a heck of a lot more profit dollars in your pocket.

Cheers,
Tim

At the price, for me, I much pay sightly more and get wm1a. I prefer its sound too

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #1,398 of 4,000
At the price, for me, I much pay sightly more and get wm1a. I prefer its sound too
Hmmm... Using Amazon (US) pricing, $1079 / $779 = 1.39x. Depends on your financial situation, but for me that is not “slightly more”... but, if the wm1a has features you need that the R6 Pro does not, then the price difference might be reasonable. Affordability is a personal thing after that.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,400 of 4,000
Has anyone yet discovered if upsampling of 16bt files to 24bt/96KHz and above is possible on this unit? Some folk don't care much for doing this, but I'm OK with it.

Simply use the "fixed output sample rate" option on the preloaded R6 pro music app (HiByMusic) to resample all audio to your choice of high sample rate, up to 192kHz and yes, 24 bit.

No problem. Anybody else? Mine gets very sluggish when the internal memory gets near full.
This isn't the most straightforward solution but... you can cut and paste the whole folderful of downloaded music files to the SD card using the included file manager on the R6. Its operation is a bit quirky so here's a quick guide:
1. Tick the checkbox on the thing(s) you want to move
2. Navigate to the new location you want (in your case, tap the button on the upper left and tap on the weird-named item that is not called "Internal shared storage" to go to your SD card)
3. Tap on the 3-dot button on the lower left and choose "Move selection here" in the menu that appears.

Would you rather sell 10,000 devices at $50 profit each or 1,000 devices at $200 profit each? Yes - one gives you a much better profit margin but the other gives you a heck of a lot more profit dollars in your pocket.

Cheers,
Tim

Maybe they just don't have that many units to sell. :frowning2:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...e-to-popular-dap.895449/page-47#post-14748801

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 16, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #1,401 of 4,000
"This isn't the most straightforward solution but... you can cut and paste the whole folderful of downloaded music files to the SD card using the included file manager on the R6. Its operation is a bit quirky so here's a quick guide:
1. Tick the checkbox on the thing(s) you want to move
2. Navigate to the new location you want (in your case, tap the button on the upper left and tap on the weird-named item that is not called "Internal shared storage" to go to your SD card)
3. Tap on the 3-dot button on the lower left and choose "Move selection here" in the menu that appears."

Thanks. I ended up just taking the card out and putting the music directly on the card from the computer. I should have just done that from the start. Everything woking good now when there's plenty of internal memory to spare.

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #1,403 of 4,000
Mine should be here this week hopefully, but I only just sent my impressions to CustomArt so likely a couple of months before I have my ideal mobile rig.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced cable for Hifiman 2.5mm jack to 4.4 balanced? Need it this week as I have to go to Africa for 3 weeks from next Monday and there's going to be naff all to do all evening other than listen to music.

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #1,404 of 4,000
A question re the power output of R6 Pro, and whether it can cause damage to earphones drivers under a certain scenario.

I have been using JH Audio Roxannes with the R6 Pro. The Roxannes have the following specs:

Input Sensitivity: 117dB @ 1mW
Impedance: 17 Ohms
Noise Isolation -26dB

Normally, with the Roxannes connected to balanced output, the highest volume setting I can bear to listen to without getting painfully loud is around 30% to 35% setting, beyond that the sound becomes just too loud. Yesterday, I accidentally played music through these IEMs with the volume setting at 70%. This only occurred for about 4 continuous seconds before I unplugged the Roxannes. At this volume level, the sound was extremely loud (a painful shock to the ears) and very distorted.

I am getting concerned that those 4 seconds of extremely loud sound may have damaged the balanced armature drivers of the Roxanne (or may have shortened their life). When I listened to the Roxannes after (at normal comfortable volume, around 25% setting), they still sound fine to my ears, but I must admit I am starting to wonder (paranoia creeping in!) if I damaged them without necessarily being able to clearly detect the damage.

Is it feasible under the above scenario, to have caused damage to the balanced armature drivers of the IEM ?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #1,405 of 4,000
R6 pro is a really good dap. Competes with far more expensive daps. Really nice build too

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #1,407 of 4,000
No command.
I powered on the r6pro and was met w a black screen and Android figure on it's back w a red triangle w an exclamation mark w writing saying "no command"
Would not shut down via power button so combo of power button and down volume rest and works .
Has anyone seen this? Is this a sign of worse things to come?
Yesterday the unit told me my SD card was corrupt .took it out and reinserted and was ok
Also tidal has crashed numerous times in last day .
Should I be worried?

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,408 of 4,000
No command.
I powered on the r6pro and was met w a black screen and Android figure on it's back w a red triangle w an exclamation mark w writing saying "no command"
Would not shut down via power button so combo of power button and down volume rest and works .
Yesterday the unit told me my SD card was corrupt .took it out and reinserted and was ok
Should I be worried?

Surely these all like symptoms of a corrupt OS? Is there a possibility to do a clean Reinstall? The links to download the latest Chinese and International firmwares was posted by Joe Bloggs on this forum a few weeks ago ..

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #1,409 of 4,000
Surely these all like symptoms of a corrupt OS? Is there a possibility to do a clean Reinstall? The links to download the latest Chinese and International firmwares was posted by Joe Bloggs on this forum a few weeks ago ..
I'm on most current firmware for international as I see when I try and do a ota update . Are there newer firmware updates not seen by my player? Mine is the 1.1.1 beta firware that came w system

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #1,410 of 4,000
No command.
Should I be worried?
You entered the portal for recovery mode by mistake. Enter recovery mode proper by holding power and volume up keys together (press the power key in fractionally earlier than the volume up key). Use the volume keys to move highlight to "reboot device now" and use Power key to select and reboot the device back to android.

(fyi the button combo to enter this portal to recovery mode is: holding volume up and power keys together (pressing volume up key in fractionally earlier than the power key))

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back